SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hornady A-Tips, once more with feeling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady A-Tips, once more with feeling Login/Join 
posted
Since I can no longer get the JLK bullets I've used for a long time, I am giving the Hornady A-tips another go. I've also had to choose another powder because Varget has been unobtainable for a long time now.

I have been reading good and bad reports on the A-Tips in various forums, but I'm going with the 230gr .30 caliber A-Tip in my .308-Win F-TR Match rifle.

In my strickied thread in the reloading section, I detail my load work up this time around. I like the results and I selected my load. Now we shall see if I can make this work. My first match with this load is on August 7.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted. I have long wondered about the A-Tip bullet.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I believes that the A-Tips are extremely finicky. Looking at my ladder test shows a dramatic difference in elevation with just small changes in the powder load. This phenomenon is exactly what a tuner can help with. Time will tell.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I am danger low on Varget and found Shooters World Precision is pretty close in performance (if you can find it). I ended up needing ~0.2 grains above Varget for the same performance.
I can't comment on the A Tips, but as far as Varget is concerned Precision is my alternate.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If I paid for A tips, I don't think I could bring myself to shoot them. That or it would be "PLEASE let the shoot crappy in my rifle, please, please, please!" Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NikonUser: Have you tried any Lapua Scenars?

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
NikonUser: Have you tried any Lapua Scenars?

No. I see no reason to do so for F-Class.

I do use Lapua Palma brass.