SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New chronograph advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New chronograph advice Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

Brownells has the Labradar Lite in stock

Someone must have just bought the last one, it's showing out of stock, no backorder now.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Scheels has the non-Bluetooth Labradar in stock at the moment.

Funny that this thread got resurrected today, because I was just at the range with my old Chrony thinking about this chrono again. Alas, I have spent all my disposable monies on silencers, so no Labradar for me for a while.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
Brownells has the Labradar Lite in stock

I wish that model had been available when I bought my LabRadar. I have no desire to connect it to my phone even if it weren’t for all the evident hassle of trying to get that to work properly.

I have two friends who have been most generous in bringing out their Labradars when we want to check our ammo before matches.

One does all his adjustments and data collection on his smart phone. He says recording and resetting for new strings is much easier on the phone than on the unit

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure how recording and resetting strings could be any easier than pushing a few buttons on the unit itself, and I do that in most of my sessions. I suppose it’s possible, but the one video I saw that explained the process of configuring the unit to do that made it seem confusing and complicated. Perhaps it would be worth it for some users, but not for the way I use chronographs. But then before I got the LabRadar my exposure to them was a couple of Oehler 35P units and except for setting them up their operation is about as simple and limited as it’s possible to be.
It is, however, good to have options for those who want them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting the Magnetospeed V3 (from Scheels). I also got the Magnetospeed pic rail adapter (directly from Magnetospeed, mainly so I can use it on pistols with rails), and the Wiser Chrono Mount (from Wiser, for use with rifles) - needed for situations where the rail doesn't go to the end of the barrel.

Range report after first use:

I'm worried about shooting off the end of the chrono, so I got a dowel to stick in the barrel of the weapon after I mounted the chrono, to make sure there was no interference. Cheap peace of mind, and confirmed I had it aligned and adjusted correctly.

The Magnetospeed rail adapter did not seem to attach solidly to my G19. I was able to use it, but it did fall off a couple of times. It's probably because the rail section on the G19 that it grips is so short. I'm going to try it on my Sig MPX another time, and I expect it to work much better.

The Wiser mount seems to be a very solidly built piece of gear. there's a reasonable amount of adjustment in it. It mounted up to my Tikka T3X solidly, and alignment was simple. I like it. I am going to put a piece of rail on the side of the handguard on my Tikka (3 o'clock position) and mount it to that when I use it - the rail section on the bottom is a bit crowded with both the Wiser mount and the bipod. (I did get a longer Chinesium rail from Amazon, but it was junk, specifically the attachment screws and nuts. So I got the longest Magpul metal M-Lok one they make - 9 slots.)

The cable that comes with it is plenty long. I was able to set the head unit on the bench anywhere I wanted to. Interestingly, plugging the cable into the head unit is what turns it on and off - I think the 3.5" jack is wired to the power circuit. When the cable is out, it's really "off".

It calculates average and SD for the shot string. Easy to delete strings and start over. Didn't even crack the manual to get it running. It comes with a micro SD card to store data. Not sure if it saves it by default - I pulled the "log.csv" file off of it when I got home and it was empty. there's probably a "save to card" option somewhere. Might actually have to read the manual for that one. I wrote it all down anyway as I was shooting.

So far, I'm pleased with it. Will let you know if anything changes.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I talked to the Labradar guy at the NRA Convention and he was having massive supply issues to produce the devices.
Nice guy though.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post