SIGforum
B&T importing Dragunovs

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/1540050894

January 21, 2023, 01:26 PM
Slippery Pete
B&T importing Dragunovs
For the low low price of only $7500!!!!

You too can have no more money and a weapon made when dinosaurs roamed. I'd love to have one but this is just comical. Hey you get the old crappy scope and mount though.

Seems to me I could hop a flight to any eastern bloc country, spend a month there, buy one for 50 bucks and figure out how to smuggle it back and still have about 5 grand leftover.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/
January 21, 2023, 02:44 PM
Delta-3
Two problems I see. (1) The price. Although it's far less than what the older Russian imports go for these days, it's still priced way out of the common man's reach. (IMO, $3k would be more reasonable).

(2) The caliber. 7.62 x 54R isn't as common as it was 15-20 years ago & can be cut off from importation on a whim. (Again IMO, 7.62x51 or 6.5 Creedmoor would be a huge improvement in sales in the U.S.)

Not an issue for me as my Russian Tigr "conversion" although rarely used fills that niche for me.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
January 21, 2023, 05:23 PM
Slippery Pete
Very nice rifle sir. Don't see that everyday.

Maybe I can mow your lawn for eternity and make it into your will. Big Grin

A 6.5 version might get it down under 2MOA. Razz

January 21, 2023, 06:51 PM
kaschi
That guy holding the new Hungarian Dragunov in video link in Pete's first post looks like Vladimir Putin.
January 21, 2023, 07:36 PM
Voshterkoff
Neat, but I’m more interested in the other firearms they are planning on importing.
January 22, 2023, 11:32 AM
Slippery Pete
Yeah I wondered that also. Maybe we will finally see the Sako 95, for $9 thousand dollars. Big Grin

January 23, 2023, 12:02 PM
cas
I used to know someone with one and we got to watch him bang his head against a while trying to do things it wasn't capable of accuracy wise. It was certainly a case of "it is what it is", it's only meant to shoot so well. But for whatever reason I guess he convinced himself it was supposed to be some super accurate rifle, taking his handloading to near benchrest levels, with limited improvement.

Cool gun, might be fun to have, but for ME PERSONALLY, I'd have to be getting ten of them for that price.
January 23, 2023, 01:30 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
It was certainly a case of "it is what it is", it's only meant to shoot so well. But for whatever reason I guess he convinced himself it was supposed to be some super accurate rifle

Exactly. It's a designated marksman rifle, not a precision sniper rifle.

It's designed so one grunt in a platoon or squad who had demonstrated above-average shooting skills could have the capability to engage (or at least suppress/harass) man-sized targets with acceptable accuracy at a bit longer range than the rest of his buddies armed with standard rifles with iron sights and a shorter-ranged intermediate caliber cartridge.

Similar to how the M14 was employed by some US military units in the GWOT.
January 23, 2023, 02:22 PM
Loswsmith
I get it that $9k is a lot for what this in actuality is (a semi capable DMR in a caliber that is "kinda" questionable at this point in the political scheme) but what exactly are your options? Pay a #$%*ton more for an "actual" example or a Tigr or spend less (but still a very significant amount (like SCAR $)), for something that isn't what you actually want knowing every second you have it it's something you settled for.

It's nice to have at least one more option that isn't circa 1989 Dragnov/Tigr money for an "actual" Dragnov. Is it for me? No, but that mostly has to do with my utter lack of desire to set off a 7.62x54 against my shoulder, not for lack of wanting the super sexy monster of the Cold War.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
January 23, 2023, 02:25 PM
Delta-3
quote:
Exactly. It's a designated marksman rifle, not a precision sniper rifle.

It's designed so one grunt in a platoon or squad who had demonstrated above-average shooting skills could have the capability to engage (or at least suppress/harass) man-sized targets with acceptable accuracy at a bit longer range than the rest of his buddies armed with standard rifles with iron sights and a shorter-ranged intermediate caliber cartridge.

Similar to how the M14 was employed by some US military units in the GWOT.

Exactly! Although it's referred to as a Sniper rifle. It's not.
I've found this with mine even with the 7N1 ammo, accuracy is good but nothing more than an issue soldiers rifle.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
January 23, 2023, 09:46 PM
YooperSigs
Hmmm... No 7.62x54R at Dunhams today. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
January 24, 2023, 08:27 AM
RogueJSK
Yeah, I suspect this will mostly appeal to those Sovietophiles who stockpiled lots of 7.62x54R back when surplus ammo was readily available, and who see this as filling a Dragunov-shaped hole in their collection, while also having the disposable income to justify the steep price.

I'm sitting on ~5k rounds of surplus 7.62x54R from "the good old days", but I have no interest in spending that much on a Dragunov. If I were to buy a semiauto 7.62x54R, I'd rather have an actual original SVT-40, but I still couldn't justify spending that much money on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,
January 24, 2023, 11:44 AM
golddot
i know this is crap to say, but something about that dude kills it, I cant stand him LOL

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---