SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone hunt with a "hand cannon"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunt with a "hand cannon"? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
It's been a long time since I had my Fajen stocked XP100 in 7mmBR out in the field.
Have a B-Square Monopod from that same era that was used with it's accessory padded U support when natural supports weren't available.

The 7mmBR is easily capable of harvesting deer and like game out to 200 yards.

Anyone else have / use a "hand cannon" for field work?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
That looks like something more commonly used in restricted firearm deer hunting areas. We used to have a lot more 20 years ago, shotgun slugs, handguns, or muzzle-loaders.

Once Chronic Wasting Disease(CWD) came about, restrictions were reduced to get the deer numbers down. You know, I can’t remember any increase of accidents or accounts of stray bullets. Now one can use their favorite 308 most places.

It’s one think to hunt with your scoped 44 mag, I’d like your setup better.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Very cool Bald1! I have one that was left to me. Where do you find ammo?

Posts: 438 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

I hand load. Bought a lot of new brass from Starline back in the day. They don't list it anymore on their web site but brass can still be found elsewhere. Die sets are readily available as well.

I'm originally from upstate NY. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I always liked Mr. Jurras's term "technical pistol".

Always wanted to grab an XP but never had one come my way at a price I agreed with. Also passed on an MOA pistol in 6.5BR that almost 30 years later I'm still kicking myself over.

I got into single shot pistols (briefly scoped revolvers before that) for the same reason. Shotgun only zone in NY. Big farm fields and no way to take advantage of the open space.

I have several Contender frames and many barrels, and two Encore's both ever so briefly.
The first barrel that would qualify is the .358JDJ. 180gr bullets @2400+ fps, sub MOA and then some. After that a 12" .45-70 barrel.

.309JDJ Basically a rimmed .308 (tighter groups than 95% of the rifles I've ever owned)

After that a whole bunch of other calibers, but nothing I'd call a hand cannon, all certainly less powerful than those three. But they're more "pifles" and pocket rifles.

Hand cannons IMO...

Ruger 5 shot conversions, 5 shot .45 Colt and 500 Linebaugh

Freedom Arms 83 in 454 Casull

(and a 97 in .45 Colt which to me is recoil wise worse than the 83 because it's so small)

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
cas,

I agree that the euphemism "hand cannon" is relative. But shooting my XP in 7mmBR generates some impressive flame as well as respectable barrel lift. Big Grin

My XP100 was made in 1981 and came with a factory wooden stock. Picked it up in 1994 locally as new old stock. While contouring the grip area to fit me I accidentally thinned an area too much opening a pinhole (yellow circle shows where in photo). Rather than try to make a repair I simply acquired a Fajen thumbhole stock which I also reshaped some.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Good things, many devils
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage Striker in .243 Win that is a favorite of mine, but the muzzle blast is no joke. Planning to have the muzzle threaded this year for a suppressor to make it a little more tolerable.

Posts: 399 | Location: KS | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 14" 45-70 SSK barrel for my Contender that qualifies as a hand cannon. I shoot mostly mild cast loads out of it. Never hunted with that one but did do some hunting with the same pistol and a 35 Remington barrel. The 35 is a lot more manageable than the 45-70. Also have a 10" 410/45 Colt barrel that I used for squirrel; that was a lot of fun! I haven't hunted in years but I'd like to start up again, and when I do it will be with the Contender.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

I hand load. Bought a lot of new brass from Starline back in the day. They don't list it anymore on their web site but brass can still be found elsewhere. Die sets are readily available as well.

I'm originally from upstate NY. Big Grin

I was afraid you were gonna say reloading. I see a place called Hendershots makes some to order.

Whereabouts upstate are you from?

Posts: 438 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I had a XP-100R (rear grip, repeater) in .35 Remington that I sold last year. Liked the pistol, just not the caliber. If it had been a .308 I would have kept it.

I still have and use these.

S & W .500 from the Performance Center with 10.5" bbl. and Leupold 2.5 to 8 variable.

Destroyer 002 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Thompson Center Encore with Custom Shop 30-06 barrel and Leupold 2.5 to 8 variable.

Guns 003 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Same T/C Encore with a custom made muzzleloader barrel.

DSC00099 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Plus the assortment of 10 mm and .44 magnum handguns not pictured.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1523 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

Whereabouts upstate are you from?

suburb of Syracuse

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve killed deer with a 5.5” Ruger Redhawk in 44mag.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back during the 1980's, I hunted deer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with my S&W model 57 .41 magnum because it was challenging and required being very stealthy. Today, this 1984 relic is still a tack driver and even more potent with Underwood Ammo's .41 Magnum hunting loads, which offer more than 1100 ft lbs of energy with every shot. My S&W revolver is surely no "hand cannon", but it's great for honing fundamentals when hunting, for one must get very, very close.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot some deer with a Model 57, too. It is startling how much less effective even a “powerful” handgun round is than a rifle round.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I have taken many deer with my S&W 629 Classic (.44 mag., 6" barrel, Ultradot Scope). Longest take was at about 50 yards.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post