SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Desert tan in the woods
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desert tan in the woods Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
I notice lots of desert tan AR stuff and other gear. I understand where the trend came from and the lure. Isn't it crappy camo in the woods?

Posts: 7650 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I notice lots of desert tan AR stuff and other gear. I understand where the trend came from and the lure. Isn't it crappy camo in the woods?

If satellite dishes and trucks are any indication, I'd say flat deseret tan in the LA or Europe woods will stick out. The shape of the object would contribute. Now if you got that rifle and rifleman low, like by the base of tree it would matter less.

Posts: 4772 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's better than black. There plenty of tan/brown things in the woods, but basically no black. Even lush green woods have tan/brown components, and even more so in the late fall/winter/spring. Or during the heat of the summer when things are dried out and crispy.

3 color DCU desert camo is actually fairly effective around here during the dead periods.

Dark tan (coyote brown, et al) is one of the best all-around/catch-all colors. Not the best at any specific situation, but a good base year-round, even in urban situations. One of the reasons why the USMC switches between desert, forest, and snow camo as needed, but their equipment remains dark tan/brown throughout.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Works for deer. Razz

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Maybe so but I'm not fawned of it for rifle camo.

Buck the desert camo trend, yeah.

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Maybe so but I'm not fawned of it for rifle camo.

Buck the desert camo trend, yeah.

To some folks, its en-deer-ing... Big Grin

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose the tan also makes for a better base color for camouflage paint too.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW Desert Tan, Flat Dark Earth, Coyote Brown aren't necessarily the same.

I agree with Rogue, that the dark brown is rather good and diverse.

Posts: 4772 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
There plenty of tan/brown things in the woods, but basically no black.

Yes, true black is a very unnatural color with very limited exceptions. Other colors in deep shadows may be perceived as what we think is black by comparison with objects that aren’t shadowed, but if it’s so dark that black can’t be differentiated, then it won’t have any advantage over other colors. I recall reading of one test of different uniform camouflage schemes and it was reported that the wearer was almost always spotted by his black boots first.

One thing I did notice during an outdoor exercise was that a large, single panel (the back of a man’s coat) of light brown was pretty noticeable against a pine forest (dark green) background. A disrupted pattern like MultiCam really does make a difference. In fact, such patterns can even make a difference when they don’t match the background at all. I still remember looking over a counter in a school room where a bad guy exercise participant who was wearing MultiCam was lying on the floor. There was a distinct delay in my recognition that it was a person (and that delay was partly why I got “shot”).

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Solid black is not great camouflage, when I went to the field I used to find me some mud and smeared it on my rifle to break up the color some. Washed right off before I turned it into the arms room.

Posts: 3813 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
but if it’s so dark that black can’t be differentiated, then it won’t have any advantage over other colors.

And it will still stand out under night vision.

Posts: 10049 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out here in New Mexico you get a solid smattering of arid/desert tan, some green from yucca, and even more green from pines. I'm a fan of some rattle can that includes both, like a Multicam or a tiger stripe. Smile

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2149 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just like with clothing, camouflage patterns are for the people using them. I’m not saying a certain pattern won’t blend in better to background colors.

Movement, then with critters, odors are big. With that are any noises. Much of the time one could be out not long after sunrise or before sunset, dim light.

I don’t think we are talking military sniper type level. Of course birds can see colors, a little more of an issue with camouflage.

Posts: 6435 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not saying a certain pattern won’t blend in better to background colors.

Bring a Ginger is a cheat code for snowy environments.

I just get naked, pale ass and bald head I blend right in.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6643 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Might be a short-term solution, but then after 5 minutes naked in a snowy environment your skin will have turned bright pink, thus stripping you of your innate pasty white camouflage. Big Grin

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Works for deer. Razz

Hold my Bambi...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Works for Bunnies, too. Here in the Yoop, I go with Flecktarn.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16410 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have Kryptek Highlander which is mainly tan and brown on a rifle, and the damned thing is nearly invisible in Central Florida at any time of year, unless it's lying in the lush green grass of summer. In the woods, even in the wet season, it simply disappears.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Works for Bunnies, too. Here in the Yoop, I go with Flecktarn.

Just have to be different… Lol

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2149 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm not convinced about the all black thing.

I can lay down my all black machete (and/or its black sheath) for just a moment, to pull a vine out of a tree and it disappears faster than Predator in a Mexican jungle.

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post