SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    3d printed SG55X magazines?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3d printed SG55X magazines? Login/Join 
posted
Could this be a cheap and readily accessible alternative to the swiss factory magazines? I suppose if there was demand wolff might produce magazine springs.

Posts: 38 | Registered: October 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I've seen videos of fully functional 3d printed mags, but I'll personally give it a few more years/generations before trusting or believing in the long term quality of stuff like that.

I think 3d printing is going to be amazing in the near-ish future but it's not there yet.

I'm not super well educated on it, though. Just my casual observances from things like watching youtube videos.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some swiss enthusiasts are working on 2 solutions :
- An AR mag adapter easy to use
- A cheap production of new gen mags with less demanding standards but 1/3 of the actual price of the SIG factory mags (85.- for a 20rds at my gunshop !)

Swiss citizen
Sig enthusiast

Posts: 18 | Registered: March 06, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If SAN would sell a few 553R lowers we could use Galil magazines.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
If SAN would sell a few 553R lowers we could use Galil magazines.

Not without modification. I tried my 553R lower with Galil mags and they need to be modified.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
No kidding? But Reddit posters say it works. And here I thought I knew better than to trust that backwater. Try any other 5.56 mags with it?

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
They also say put that lower on a 550 upper but alas, it's not the same. I think the comments come from 556R lowers being useful this way. I'll have to try with a 556XI 7,62x39 lower

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A US 556 lower, with very minor modification, can be fit to a Swiss upper; it's a potentially more affordable alternative to a Swiss STANAG lower. This facilitates the use of AR mags, with a proper magwell to support them. I don't quite understand wanting to rig an AR mag into a lower designed for Swiss ones. It's not a setup I would deem fit for hard use, and if you're using the gun only in a casual target shooting capacity, you're not going to work a Swiss mag to the point of failure.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Madjohn sent me a link to the gun shop in Switzerland, showing STGW 90 magazines, a few weeks back.

I was also amazed at the price for these magazines even in the home country.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Gun Factory is selling 20 rounders for CHF 85 and 30 rounders for 95 CHF. Wow!

https://www.gunfactory.ch/langwaf/magazin_sig.htm

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Still less than Valmet mags.

Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
Gun Factory is selling 20 rounders for CHF 85 and 30 rounders for 95 CHF. Wow!

https://www.gunfactory.ch/langwaf/magazin_sig.htm

Yeah, I checked this out recently. Forgot to tell you.
Rolf said there is also a 75 CHF export fee on top of the magazine price whether you buy 1 or a bunch.

I didn't bother to ask how much shipping was

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
How are y'all not jumping on these!
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/8390096884/p/1

Thanks for the heads-up, Wil!

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Yeah no way you are going to 3D print magazines using plastic filament.

You would need sintered metal or exotic composite materials to withstand the spring tension without blowing out the feed lips or baseplate. That is actually a non-trivial amount of tension to contain.

We aren't there yet on a consumer level.

It can be done but you better be rich.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post