SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Going to spend $200.00 on AR-15 - 30 round mags - Best Value for the Buck - Read More
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to spend $200.00 on AR-15 - 30 round mags - Best Value for the Buck - Read More Login/Join 
posted
P-Mags are not in this discussion. My narrowed choices for a 30 round mag is...

D&H - About $8.00 a piece
OKay Surefeed - About $13.00 a piece
Lancer Translucent - About $18.00 a piece

SIGForum Brain trust - provide me guidance and direction please. These mags will be put up for planned future use by my wife, two sons, and me.

Guess my question is the difference between translucent Lancer's vs. the D&H units - two D&H units for every one Lancer.....Which way to go????

And yes - $200.00 is my budget.......

Thanks Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Lancer translucent smoke.

DSG runs specials on them from time to time (sale and free shipping).

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I like Lancers. For work we don't have the budget, so I bought a bunch of the D&H mags. They've held up just fine these past few years. I have no issues with them. I just like the translucent Lancers.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go D&H if you are looking to get the most for the $. I have a bunch of them and typically only buy mags on sale.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
D&H are $8 with free shipping if you buy 10 or more. It's a daily deal that comes and goes, I suspect they have a lot of these.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...m-magazine-8416.html

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, why chose translucent Lancers?

Your other listed options are not translucent, nor do they even have windows.

I'm a big advocate of AWMs, but the few AWMs that I have which are translucent either came with other packages or one I bought as an experiment.

A non-translucent AWM will be, on sale, about as much as the OKAY Surefeed. So, at $200 you might be able to squeeze in an extra mag.

Of those listed, the Lancer is the better magazine, imo.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Of your choices listed, D&H, hands down.

Some ppl love Lancers, but I find them too slick to grip and easy to not get locked into place on a closed bolt.

Yeah they look cool, but thats about it IMO.

WRT Surefeed (new name for NHMTG, Colt OEM). I have gotten them as cheap as $9/per shipped in the past. Look around and you maybe able to find them at that price.

And for bang for the buck, 1xLancer isnt better than 2xDH. For $200 I’d take 25 D&H over 10-11 Lancers (if I actually liked them).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the Lancers in translucent smoke.

They fit 31 rounds in a mag, so you only have to down load them one, and get the standard 30 rounds. At 30 rounds, they seat on a closed bolt with no problem.

Plus, they come marked specially for 300 BLK, or 556, if you every wanted to go that way.

In addition, the feed lips and top are metal, and do not separate at the end when fully loaded. And the body is translucent, don't you know.

Buy once, cry once.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i would buy some of these:

https://www.topgunsupply.com/o...es-ar15-gi-mags.html

and some of these:

https://www.topgunsupply.com/o...gazine-grey-dfl.html

and maybe a couple lancers for variety

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
D&H are excellent performers. From your list, I’d have zero issues with stocking up on these.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I'd go for the Lancers in translucent smoke.

I agree, but...

quote:
They fit 31 rounds in a mag, so you only have to down load them one, and get the standard 30 rounds. At 30 rounds, they seat on a closed bolt with no problem.

Not in my experience with the two I tested. I had to download 'em both to 28 to get them to lock without excessive effort.

quote:
In addition, the feed lips and top are metal, and do not separate at the end when fully loaded.

Which is why I like Lancers.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Some ppl love Lancers, ...

Yeah they look cool, but thats about it IMO.

I didn't buy Lancers because "they look cool," I bought them for their reputation, translucent because you can see at a glance one's loaded and how far, and because of the metal feed lips.

I haven't found them any less "grippy" than any other I've tried.

That being said: I am displeased about having to down-load mine by two to get them to lock in w/o what I regard to be excessive effort.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you are purchasing magazines in hopes that they will survive you and go to your wife and kids. If this is the case, then I would go with the D&H mags. I have an assortment of these types of mags that I've owned for 30 years and they are still going strong. That being said, I prefer the Lancers for the reasons stated above.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
12 D&H, 5 Lancers. Or whatever ratio to suit you.

Scrounge up $30 bucks for a Maglula Speed Loader.

Have fun.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a shit ton of D&H over the years. worst case is you buy a folower and replace it and the springs if you have feed issues. Which i NEVER have. I can not say the same for mag pul and lancer mags. Yes it is rare for them to have issues also, I have had issues though.

That all said, i only have magpulls and hex mags now. Would i buy 200 bucks in D&H if i was in your place over the added cost of the Mag pul or lancer? in a friggen heart beat.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have tens upon hundreds of thousands of rounds down range in AR15 rifles and the Lancers are the least reliable by far. Not even close. I consider them range only mags.

The fine sugar sand down here does not agree with the polymer they use. I get stuck followers and rounds that just fall out of mags. And nasty type bolt over base style jams that I don't get with other mags.

You said no PMAGS, for whatever reason? They are the finest combat mags in existence. If you were going into combat, you would probably want a gen 3 PMAG in your gun.

Buy three gen 3 PMAGS, and the rest in Okay mags. Get a 10/20 rounder for bench shooting as well.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think D&H and Surefeed are great, they have metal feedlips too. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PSA runs those specials with 1000 rds and 10 PMAGs for $329. You're basically getting the mags for $3 each.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
In your list I would go with D&H hands down, I have a bunch and have never had a problem with them.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone -

First I want to thank each of you for your response and insight as to what to buy and why.....

Second - LDD - your question is valid as to why translucent on the Lancer mags - I have two lancer translucent in my current inventory and about 8 non-translucent. My wife LOVES having the ability to "see" the ammo in the magazine and she always grabs these style mags first when we are shooting. Also since she approved my ask to purchase a few more mags I decided to go with the translucent version.

Third - Bubbatime you asked why no PMAGS - For some reason (cannot necessarily pinpoint why I have this issue) since the long range future of Hi-Cap mags is unknown and what we own may need to last my family for many many years I decided I wanted a mag that was either aluminum, steel, or at least had lips that were reinforced with one of these metals....

So

After reading all of the comments here several times I am going down a route similar to what OKCGene suggested using the links provided by Sigmund (PSA) and Sig209 (Okay) and several others (Lancer's - for my wife). I just ordered the 10 pack from PSA which left me with $120.00 to spend - and with that I will be buying 6 -OKay Surefeed mags today also and 4 Lancer Translucent mags as soon as I see them on sale......

Yes - I know the mix may seem crazy but this will allow Ms. Sigarmsp226 to be happy and also allow me to have 16 aluminum mags that my two sons, grand kids, and I can use when needed.....

Thanks Again Everyone for your support....Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scrounge up $30 bucks for a Maglula Speed Loader.Have fun.

I'll second that notion .

http://www.maglula.com/product...ar-15-lula-5-56-223/

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post