SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What lube for an AR-10 Truck Gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What lube for an AR-10 Truck Gun? Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
So with the temps getting down in the mid single digits here recently it got me wondering what kind of lube I shoud be using on my 308 AR-10 truck gun. It lives in the truck 24/7. So I need something for winter and summer.

And should I use grease or oil?

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For subzero temperatures, I've found that a mixture of 50% Mobil One synthetic 5W20 and 50% transmission fluid is excellent. The oil itself is rated for -40 Fahrenheit, but the lowest I've actually used it in is -15F. It also seems to work well in warmer temperatures, but I haven't tested it to any specific high temperature limit.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although my preference for a long time was TW-25B which was, IIRC, rated to –85°, I’ve pretty much switched to Lucas gun oil based on a couple of knowledgeable recommendations, including SIG’s. It’s also a little more convenient to use. Its pour point is –38° which I believe makes it suitable for use even in very cold temperatures.

Unless it’s something like TW-25B that’s specifically rated for very cold temperatures, grease usually should be avoided under such conditions.

Not that it matters to me unless it’s someone I might have to depend on in a bad situation, but I’ve always been a little puzzled by using home brew gun lubricant recipes that I’ve read about so often. On the one hand if someone goes to the time and trouble to concoct one, that probably means he’s conscientious about using it, and therefore that’s good, but on the other hand there are many satisfactory factory lubes available that don’t require any of that. In addition, SIG’s factory recommendation has long been to use a lube that was designed to be used on guns. As one armorer instructor put it, “If it’s designed to be used on cement mixers, use it on your cement mixer; if it’s designed to be used on guns, use it on your guns.”
Plus, I have enough trouble getting some people to lube their duty guns properly without making it any more of a complicated chore than necessary.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I previously used Mobil1 but started using Lucas on a whim. I guess I should have read up on the specs. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington dry lube spray on my 5.56 truck gun.
It’s lasted through sweltering summers and some frigid winters. Works.

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
Remington dry lube spray on my 5.56 truck gun.
It’s lasted through sweltering summers and some frigid winters. Works.

I have my doubts on dry lube. If it worked everyone would be doing it.

Have you verified it works in single digits and below and 100 degrees plus? Or do you apply it and assume it works?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If conditions demand it, such as a military weapon exposed to the elements without much opportunity to clean the gun and we’re trying to avoid fine dust collecting on everything, then dry lubes make sense. I believe, though, that they fall into the “This is what we’re forced to use” category rather than what’s best if they’re not necessary.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Wow! An AR-10 truck gun! Mine rotates between the truck and the RV. I use Mobile 1.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Wow! An AR-10 truck gun! Mine rotates between the truck and the RV. I use Mobile 1.

Why do you say wow?

I will say that all these riots were an eye opener for me. If something were to go down I wanted to make sure I had what I needed to stop another vehicle if need be. Id rather have it and not need it.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I'd go with G96. Should work fine until temps get WAY down there.

Bartocci loves this stuff, so I took his advice a while back and started using it.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6966 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walker, yes, I have tried it. That why I said it works. My truck gun lives in my work truck. Admittedly it has only seen the range, thank goodness, and I only carry 60 rounds with me, so for my needs, it works fine.
I have used CLP, and Weaponshield, and while they allowed the gun to function, rust from condensation was an issue. Not so far (2 years roughly) with the dry lube.

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of the dry lube. AR's like to be wet. I used the dry lube on my P-220 for a while, and experienced multiple failures- all were lubricant (or lack of) related.

30W motor oil.
High temp wheel bearing grease.
Light coat of grease on the bolt and the rails of the bolt carrier, then the 30W.

The gun has worked in below zero weather for me.
I don't work so well in those temps, but the gun does.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I meant it as a an exclamation of approval and a compliment. Sorry you got butt hurt.

quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

Why do you say wow?

I will say that all these riots were an eye opener for me. If something were to go down I wanted to make sure I had what I needed to stop another vehicle if need be. Id rather have it and not need it.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
I meant it as a an exclamation of approval and a compliment. Sorry you got butt hurt.

quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

Why do you say wow?

LOL! How did you come up with I was butt hurt???

I was just explaining why I went with 308. Go big or go home Big Grin

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I use slip2000 EWL 30 year round.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was in the service we were allowed to use several oils.

LSA for warm temps (above 0)
LAW for cold temps (0 and below)

Really they were just a mixture of Teflon and oil for LAW
And LSA was 0 weight oil with no Teflon for cold wx.

Now I use mobile 1 0w for everything. Even when I lived in NC I used it..your AR needs wet lubrication…steer clear of dry lubes..there’s a reason the military doesn’t use it for their rifles.

I’d get a small 4oz squeeze bottle of LAW from your local army navy or order it online and keep it with the rifle especially since you say it lives in you work truck.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post