SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finally built myself a M14 EBR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally built myself a M14 EBR Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I've been building these for others for years but finally did one for myself. It's a Bula XM21 receiver which has no rear sights. The picatinny rail is part of the receiver and it was made to perfectly mate up to the top rail of the SAGE ALCS chassis.

The barrel is a Lothar-Walther 22" medium weight barrel in 308 that has been NP3'd. It also has a Shooting Sight EBR trigger that is made for pistol gripped M14's. The scope is a Vortex Razor 1-6 HD GEN II E with medium height Vortex rings. The ocular lens barely clears the picatinny rails. If I use a high-mag scope with a 50MM objective, I'll have to get high or ultra-high rings to clear the rail.

I also have the buttpad extender which moves the cheekpiece farther forward for a more natural head position. I should be able to test it this week.

The rifle weighs 16 pounds as-pictured with a full 20 round magazine. It's only 1 pound lighter than my M25 in a JAE chassis with a 3/4 heavy barrel and a Leupold MK 4 ER/T scope.

You definitely have to eat your wheaties when packing this thing around.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's a very purposeful looking piece of hardware! Very nice. Glad I don't have to carry it...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Nice! I’ll be curious to see what the groups look like. My buddy keeps trying to get me to get a Sage chassis for my M25, but I’m still holding out for a JAE chassis.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
My buddy keeps trying to get me to get a Sage chassis for my M25...

Yes!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I took it out a couple of days ago and it grouped okay, around 1.5". It was difficult getting precision shots with the Vortex 1-6X. The reticle was just too thick.

I've got a Leupold MK5 3.6-18 FFP on the way and it should be here by Wednesday or Thursday and I'll be at the range next weekend. I've also loaded up a bunch of 175's, 168's and 125 TNT's to try out.

The Shooting Sight trigger is set to 3.75 pounds and breaks like glass! I still need a Sadlak vented piston, but they won't be available until October-ish.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well, I got a proper scope for it. It's a Leupold MK5 3.6-18x44 FFP with a CCH reticle on top of MK4 high rings. I might have been able to get away with medium rings, but I wasn't sure about the clearance of the front rail.

Tony.

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Gorgeous. Love to see these builds.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Very Nice build..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Nice setup. Thanks for sharing

Posts: 22 | Registered: September 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got my new scope zeroed tonight and adjusted my barrel whip screw. With no pressure, groups were over 2" I added a little pressure and it didn't really do much. I added about 1/4 turn of pressure and the next group dropped 2" but shrunk to 1.4". It's the bottom left group. I was shooting at the center left dot. I was shooting 175 grain Nosler CC's under 43.2 grains of RL-15.

I centered up the scope and shot a decent 1.5" group and tried dialing it in a little more and the groups started to open up. I went back to the optimal setting and the group sizes from that setting were 1.5", 1.44" and 1.33". I was not impressed with the 175 grain FGMM as it produced a 1.78" group

I then tested some 168 grain RDF's and one load (42.6 grains of IMR-4064) produced a 1.25" group. The 43.0 grain load did okay at 1.4" as well. It would be nice if I can get those bullets to shoot well as JBM ballistics says the 42.6 grain load should still barely be supersonic at 1,000 yards.

I think I need to adjust the crush washer behind the gas cylinder as I believe it's causing fliers. I know a tight fitting gas system and a gas lock that times too early can cause flyers in the SAGE chassis. My magazines also fit in super-tight and it may be applying too much pressure to the bottom of the bolt and causing flyers. I'll adjust the mag latch fitment and see if that helps.

Overall I'd say it's shooting decently well with some room for improvement. At the end of the day I was able to produce five 5-shot groups that were between 1.25" and 1.5". I'm hoping that with some small tweaks to some components I can shrink the groups down to under 1".

I'll try some M118LR next time. I got my scope dialed in and adjusted the zero-stop for a 100 yard zero. I have lots of room in the scope for elevation.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Tony,

Nice build, as usual. My EBR that you did for me is shooting about an inch. Better when I do my part. You da man, Tony.

Wes
Ardent supporter/admirer

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post