SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Folding AR tubes - forgive my ignorance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Folding AR tubes - forgive my ignorance Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
I am wondering how much length the aftermarket folding recoil tube options add to the AR.

This is not a question of OAL. It's not about pistol vs rifle or what is or isn't legal. I'm asking specifically how much they add to the tube length when installed and open - in the firing position, as compared to a standard five or six-position tube? From the back of the lower receiver to the end of the tube.

Inch, inch and a half maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 10815 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
1.3" according to LawTactical:

https://www.lawtactical.com/ar..._gen_3_m_p/99312.htm

Primary Arms $50 Off 24hr. Sale ends in just over 22 hours...In Stock @ 199.99! Wink

https://www.primaryarms.com/la...m-for-ar15-and-ar308

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nhracecraft has what they say. But I SBR'd my DD with the LAW tactical folder and had previously SBR'd my MK18 and the measured OAL difference between the two identical except for the folder is 1.6" No idea why the difference from the official spec.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11197 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Was your Law Tactical Folder the Gen 3 version? I have NO idea what the differences are/were, and I do not have any either, but that could have had an impact on dimensions.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Posts: 10815 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nhracecraft according to DD the folder on the gun is a GEN3M. In any case there is no way the difference can mean anything to anyone. And to the OP there is no way I would recommend using one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11197 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
And to the OP there is no way I would recommend using one.

Thank you for that. I appreciate the honesty. I've kind of come to the same conclusion. Other than adding $100+ to my build, I realized it was going to add some weight and complexity to a project I'm trying to keep light. I'm going with a standard tube for now.