SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Palmetto Type 56 SKS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palmetto Type 56 SKS Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
Seems Palmetto has some type 56's on their daily deal today. Still high at $500 but I'm oddly considering it. Anyone buy one from them?

SKS

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL. You'd hardly be supporting a Communist regime. SKS's haven't been produced in China in decades, and these PSA imports definitely didn't come directly from China because there has been a ban on importing rifles from China since 1989. I think the latest batch of these came from a former Commbloc country like Albania. If you buy one you will be supporting the American company that imported and is selling them. You also don't buy an SKS as an alternative to an AR-15. They have their own appeal and are fun to own and shoot. Long gone are the days when these cost $89 and they are becoming somewhat collectible despite the millions that were made.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:
&
Doesn't support Communist Countries/Regimes.

Not sure if serious... But China gets $0 from the sale of these SKSs, even in a roundabout way. These rifles were provided as aid to Albania back in the 1950s and 1960s, who used them for decades before putting them in storage, and who recently have been cleaning out their stockpile of old rifles by selling them to US gun importers.

You'd be buying one from the US-based company who's selling them, who had purchased them from a US-based importer, who had in turn bought them and brought them over from Albania.

Even if your objection is somehow to Albania receiving money (which I'll note is no longer a Communist country as of 1991), that ship has sailed. They've already been paid.

Refusing to buy one only currently impacts the American business that's now selling them and has no impact on Albania, or especially China.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Anything I buy that I pay state sales tax on, I'm supporting a commie regime. Frown

Posts: 21040 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one of these back when they were 150 bucks and I still feel ripped off

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got a bunch of Nazi shit, I guess I've been supporting podunk regimes for awhile now.

Any-who, I just bought one to add to the Russian and Yugo examples I already have. I'll post some pics for those interested upon transfer.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Man, no love for the SKS around here. I bought my first for $200 at the ripe old age of 18. A Russian example and I ponied up the extra $69 for a spam can of ammo. AR-15s were way to expensive then. That same day at the same gun show I got a 7mm Waffenfabrik Steyr Mauser from Argentina with 200 rounds for $75. Great memories for a punk kid at the Medina County gun show with some oil change money in his pocket.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
&

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
AR's give you top end/caliber options by pulling/pushing 2 pins.
&

So this is your thing? You’re the guy who has nothing to add to any discussion about any semi-auto rifle that isn’t an AR except to tell them to buy an AR?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...430046184#4430046184

I’ll bet you’re a blast at parties.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

Man, no love for the SKS around here.

Sorry, someone said something so stupid we all got distracted!

I love my SKS, I’ve only had it for a few months but it’s a blast to shoot. I prefer it to any of my ARs.

I didn’t buy one of the latest batch from PSA but reviews on the SKS subreddit are mixed, mostly positive but there are a couple that look pretty rough. I have bought a few surplus guns from PSA and always had a good experience so if I hadn’t bought mine a few months back I’d take the gamble on these. I sure do wish PSA offered hand selection though.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've got love for the SKS.

Are they worth $500+, especially if they're beat to hell? No, not really.

Are they fun plinkers with cheap ammo and an interesting history? Yep.

Am I happy with the good condition Norinco SKS that I got for like $80, and the excellent condition Yugoslavian SKS that I traded a ~$100 milsurp rifle for? Absolutely.

Since I have a metric buttload of lacquered steel 7.62x39, one of my SKSs, Vz. 58s, or AKs accompanies me to most leisurely range outings, as an inexpensive way to dick around and have fun.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ll bet you’re a blast at parties.

That is my favorite line and I use it often.

Definitely not worth $500, but I was cocktailing and couldn't resist.

Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I have several SKS's
I don't think I would do $500 sight unseen, but thats probably because I have a bunch.
One of my favorites, prices certainly are not going down on them.
If you want one, Atlantic also has them.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/c...ing-c-r-ffl-eligible

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
They are $100 guns. For $500 I’d look for an AR, mini or lever gun.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are $100 guns.

Once upon a time, so were M1 carbines.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
They are $100 guns.

Lol. Yeah, a lot of guns used to be cheaper. We may see the return of the $400 SKS but I doubt we will ever see the $100 one. Just because a gun used to be cheaper doesn’t mean it isn’t worth the current price.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:

Man, no love for the SKS around here. I bought my first for $200 at the ripe old age of 18. A Russian example and I ponied up the extra $69 for a spam can of ammo. AR-15s were way to expensive then. That same day at the same gun show I got a 7mm Waffenfabrik Steyr Mauser from Argentina with 200 rounds for $75. Great memories for a punk kid at the Medina County gun show with some oil change money in his pocket.

Don’t get me wrong, if mine worked halfway reliably I would have loved it, mine was a Chinese one and even with new springs and new mag spring or after market mags, or stock one it was still an unreliable piece of shit. If I had a day where it worked I enjoyed it. But that was rare

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
They are $100 guns.

Lol. Yeah, a lot of guns used to be cheaper. We may see the return of the $400 SKS but I doubt we will ever see the $100 one. Just because a gun used to be cheaper doesn’t mean it isn’t worth the current price.

That was my Point. They aren’t worth $500. I’ve got a few. One slam fires. One went full auto. One isn’t reliable. A couple are pretty good. Not worth the risk at the current price in my opinion and based on my experience.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Ruger357-
Have you disassembled the bolts and cleaned the firing pin channel in your problem rifles?
I couldnt get the pin to budge on mine so I hosed it out with brake cleaner (with the bolt inside a gallon ziplock to minimize splatter).

I love my norinco. I think Dad paid $80 or 90 for it back in the 80s.

Posts: 11505 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
Ruger357-
Have you disassembled the bolts and cleaned the firing pin channel in your problem rifles?
I couldnt get the pin to budge on mine so I hosed it out with brake cleaner (with the bolt inside a gallon ziplock to minimize splatter).

I love my norinco. I think Dad paid $80 or 90 for it back in the 80s.

Yes. Mineral spirits to get rid of cosmoline and then lubed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer