SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a 553 pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a 553 pistol Login/Join 
posted
Very excited to finally own one.

Anyone have one?

I think I need to find a top rail, form 1 it, snd a stock.

What else?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Pics please!!!

I own two and have two more incoming.

just got the federal approval last week on this 553 sb.

This was my first 553 in 300 blackout.

Waiting on a 553 LB and a 550. Hopefully they get here soon!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gw3971,

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Pics please!!!

I own two and have two more incoming.

just got the federal approval last week on this 553 sb.

This was my first 553 in 300 blackout.

Hello friend.

So. Where did you get that top rail?

Also. Can you swap uppers? Like a 551 commando?

I see them listed. Not cheap. But cool option.

I will get a pic up.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://ibb.co/dBmGTyY

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Mine came with the rails attached. The 553 sb was a custom build. Does you 553 have diopters?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Just sights.

If I wanna run it with a suppressor. I need to find a plug for it.

If anyone know where to find one.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Did you get the pistol from jdi? Is it a short barrel or long?

Check jdi firearms for the four position gas valve. He has some parts coming in this month and he allows back orders.

https://www.sanswissarms.com/

Or try the gunfactory in Europe. https://www.gunfactory.ch/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gw3971,

posted Hide Post
It’s a short barrel one.

I very much want a 551 now.

I got it off another forum. Wanted one forever.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
Please don't remove those sweet diopter sights! Just get a rail to drop in there, using the front crest interface, and mount optics that way. You'd regret altering the diopter sights.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yep keep the diopters and add the rail in front.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
https://ibb.co/dBmGTyY

Congratulations. That’s a great 553. Personally, from a markings standpoint I like the SigSauer import marked 553s the best.

You need the B&T optic rail for it. I would also recommend the quad 1913 rail if you plan on shooting it much.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You need the B&T optic rail for it. I would also recommend the quad 1913 rail if you plan on shooting it much.

I would steer you toward a gunfactory low-pro rail for the top, and away from the quad rail entirely. Different strokes for different folks.

Unless you need to mount an aiming laser, I find the quad rail a bit unnecessary. It is a nice piece, and you may see some benefits in heat dissipation, but I prefer the sleek plastic guards, with a light mounted directly.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:

I would steer you toward a gunfactory low-pro rail for the top, and away from the quad rail entirely. Different strokes for different folks.

Unless you need to mount an aiming laser, I find the quad rail a bit unnecessary. It is a nice piece, and you may see some benefits in heat dissipation, but I prefer the sleek plastic guards, with a light mounted directly.

The plastic 552/553 handguard is a total afterthought. It does not lockup tight. With a rail installed on the bottom, the handguard flexes with a vertical fore grip. And they heat up very fast to the point of being uncomfortable with any long strings of fire. The quad rail is necessary because of heat dissipation in my opinion. One of my 552s was an every weekend shooter for many years. I found the quad rail to be a necessity.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a rail installed on the bottom, the handguard flexes with a vertical fore grip. And they heat up very fast to the point of being uncomfortable with any long strings of fire. The quad rail is necessary because of heat dissipation in my opinion. One of my 552s was an every weekend shooter for many years. I found the quad rail to be a necessity.

I do agree from the heat dissipation standpoint. I don't care for vertical grips in most cases anyway, so that didn't factor into my previous statement. I shoot my 553 rather frequently, and rather vigorously, and have yet to be betrayed by the plastic guards. I usually end up touching the front retaining ring by accident though, and it certainly doesn't feel good. Even though that's proof in itself of the advantage of a rail and vert grip, my rail will stay in the drawer. Just a preference thing.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have several 553's. I've done several mag dumps suppressed and while warm, never felt the need for a quad rail. I generally dislike quad rails so I'd sooner wear gloves than put a quad rail and VFG on.

That said, shooting mag after mag of full auto through a Dakota Tactical MP5SD clone, yeah, the VFG comes in handy.

Posts: 3081 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The overwhelming majority of the shooting I do is with a silencer as well, and I agree with PGT.

To address other aspects that the OP might find helpful, I would certainly reinforce the need for a different valve, if using a silencer. However, you may want to try the gun out first, before you invest in the valve. I have a 553 that preferred the adverse setting under normal conditions, and the normal setting ended up suiting the silencer fine.

As far as spare parts are concerned, I have personally experienced three magazine failures in the past year, which sucks big time, considering their cost nowadays.

I have fallen victim to a broken firing pin in a 553R, which doesn't necessarily apply, as they are slightly different, and the 553R lacks the track record of the 553. But a firing pin is never a terrible idea to have as a spare part.

I know other folks have experienced recoil spring failures. I have a spare as a result, but have yet to experience a break myself.

posted Hide Post
Also have my first 553 inbound and getting up to speed so following and looking up accessories mentioned.

Any significant difference between these rails?

https://www.shop.jdifirearms.c...pper-SAN34557306.htm

https://bt-parts.com/bt-20120-...r-low-profile-mount/

Thanks

Posts: 13 | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrashN: Any significant difference between these rails?

Huge difference. One is for the handguard, and the other is for the top of the gun.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrashN:
Also have my first 553 inbound and getting up to speed so following and looking up accessories mentioned.

Any significant difference between these rails?

https://www.shop.jdifirearms.c...pper-SAN34557306.htm

https://bt-parts.com/bt-20120-...r-low-profile-mount/

Thanks

Yep the B&T rail attaches to the top of the receiver and mounts to front of the diopter.

The other is just a rail you screw onto the plastic hand guard.

posted Hide Post
Ah, missed that, thanks. More of a pistol and shotgun kinda dude trying to broaden my horizons.

Thanks for the explanation.

Posts: 13 | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post