SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any Silhouette shooters in the house?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Silhouette shooters in the house? Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted
Somewhat local range is hosting a match.

Rimfire on friday before the big blackpowder shoot.

Looks like it is very simple from the equipment standpoint. Iron sights rifle. Offhand. No goofy jackets or gloves.

I have a CZ 452 Lux with excellent tangent iron sights.

That plus some decent match standard velocity ammo should be all I need right?

How much time is allotted to shoot a course of fire? I only have two 5 round magazines for that rifle.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If the match goes by official NRA smallbore silhouette rules, time shouldn't be an issue for you. You shoot in sets of five shots, and you get 2.5 minutes for the five shots, plus at least 45 seconds between sets.

Smallbore silhouette is challenging. The targets are very small and placed from 40 to 100 yards from the firing line. The targets are small enough and a .22 rifle has enough drop that if you are zeroed for the 40 yard targets you will miss the 80 and 100 yard targets by a lot.

When I have shot smallbore silhouette, everyone has had rifles with high magnification scopes with target turrets to adjust for range.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
If the match goes by official NRA smallbore silhouette rules, time shouldn't be an issue for you. You shoot in sets of five shots, and you get 2.5 minutes for the five shots, plus at least 45 seconds between sets.

Smallbore silhouette is challenging. The targets are very small and placed from 40 to 100 yards from the firing line. The targets are small enough and a .22 rifle has enough drop that if you are zeroed for the 40 yard targets you will miss the 80 and 100 yard targets by a lot.

When I have shot smallbore silhouette, everyone has had rifles with high magnification scopes with target turrets to adjust for range.

The event is being put on by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.

I don't know anything about what classes beyond this description:

"There will be two classes, traditional and modern. Traditional will be rifles typical to the big bore rifles. Modern will be all others."

The tangent sights on my CZ allow me to correct for distance out to 200 meters. They work very well for that.

I don't have a scope that on a 22lr that would be applicable. And even if I was interested in pulling the scope from my PRS rifle, I don't have a way to mount it on any of my 22 rifles.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Those are not the standard equipment divisions for smallbore silhouette. They may or may not follow the other standards as well.

Regardless, smallbore silhouette is a LOT of fun and the shooters at the matches I have been to have been a good group of people. I think you'll enjoy it if you go.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I shot smallbore handgun metal silhouette with, first my Ruger Single Six Convertible, then my (what has become) venerable ol' Ruger Mk. I.

Targets were at 25, 50, 75 and 100 meters.

I found it challenging, but not exceedingly so.

Stashed in some obscure corner of the house I have a complete set of smallbore handgun metal silhouette targets--I think: Chicken, pig, turkey and ram.

The turkey was always the most difficult, because, while it technically had more total area than the pig, the center-of-mass area wasn't much, if any, bigger, and a shot landing anywhere else might well just make it merely wobble. (Same applied to centerfire.)

It was a lot of fun Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Smallbore rifle silhouette uses smaller targets than smallbore pistol (20% of the centerfire rifle target size vs. 37.5%) and the closer targets are farther away (smallbore rifle is 40, 60, 77, 100 yards/meters). Of course, a rifle can be shot much more accurately than a pistol, too. I'm not sure how the differences balance out between the two disciplines.

At the little local matches I used to go to, on a good day I hit 20-25 out of 40 targets and the match winner was usually in the mid-30s.

The body of the 100-yard target for smallbore rifle silhouette (the ram) is approximately the size of a 3x5 index card, maybe a little smaller. The body of the 40-yard target (the chicken) is maybe the size of a half dollar coin.

They're all sized so that the main area of each target is 2-3 MOA tall and 3-5 MOA wide. Smallbore rifle silhouette uses targets 20% of the size at 20% of the range compared to centerfire rifle silhouette, so the angular sizes are the same.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I use to shoot IHMSA. All with a handgun.
Small bore was with my Savage Striker with a 4oz trigger and a 4-16 scope.
Get your sight settings at each distance (25-50-75-100yard)and have fun.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post