SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So I picked up a new Aimpoint RDS Duty and Aimpoint 3x-c magnifier (update w/Range Report 22 Aug)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I picked up a new Aimpoint RDS Duty and Aimpoint 3x-c magnifier (update w/Range Report 22 Aug) Login/Join 
posted
I was all set on a T2 but this thing is 95% the T2 at about $300-400 less depending on mounts etc. It is crystal clear, the dot is super crisp and perfectly round with the 3x. I have an astigmatism, so it is not round without the 3x to my eyes. I also had a set of Troy HK style sights which needed an home, so they were added as well.

All in all a great set-up. I hope to hit the range tomorrow to try it out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Any feedback on the Duty vs the Pro? I am looking for a new RDS and can't decide on which option to get. I have the Pro right now.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
I have an astigmatism, so it is not round without the 3x to my eyes.

With my astigmatism, the dot is only misshapen when I'm focusing on the dot, which you shouldn't be doing anyway when using a red dot optic.

Focus on the target, not the dot.

Posts: 32525 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
Any feedback on the Duty vs the Pro? I am looking for a new RDS and can't decide on which option to get. I have the Pro right now.

I was able to examine the Pro, Duty RDS, T1, T2, M4, and M5 all side by side at GT Distributors. The numbers between the T2 and RDS are pretty close. The clarity is the same.

When it comes to the Pro vs Duty, the duty blows it away in clarity. The Pro has a pronounced blue tint while the Duty is clear. The RDS is about 95% of the T2.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I have an astigmatism, so it is not round without the 3x to my eyes.

With my astigmatism, the dot is only misshapen when I'm focusing on the dot, which you shouldn't be doing anyway when using a red dot optic.

Focus on the target, not the dot.

I have been shooting red dots on rifles since the Tasco PDP was all the rage. When I was younger the dot was a dot. Now, I can focus on the target all day and it does not look like a dot. I do however have no issues getting good solid hits. Everyone’s eyes are different. I wish I did see a dot while focusing on the target.

posted Hide Post
I was able to take it out to the range today for sight in. I have about 1300 Hornady 75gr Match bullets that don’t shoot well in anything I load them into so I loaded up some under 24gr of Varget to try them in this gun. They were more than acceptable in this carbine with its pencil barrel.

POA and POI were the same with or without the Aimpoint 3x. What was really nice is that my self defense load of 75gr factory Speer Gold Dot hit at the same POA as my hand loads. I guess those Hornady bullets will get used now.

Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:

I was able to examine the Pro, Duty RDS, T1, T2, M4, and M5 all side by side at GT Distributors. The numbers between the T2 and RDS are pretty close. The clarity is the same.

When it comes to the Pro vs Duty, the duty blows it away in clarity. The Pro has a pronounced blue tint while the Duty is clear. The RDS is about 95% of the T2.

Appreciate the feedback

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice! How noticeable is the difference in size/weight vs the PRO? I like my PRO, but it is kind of heavy, and the large housing obstructs the field of view around the optic a little bit. Our work rifles wear a ROMEO5, which is lighter and smaller, but I don't trust it's durability anywhere near as much as I trust the Aimpoint PRO.

When these came out, I immediately thought that they might address all of the minor quibbles that I have with the PRO and the ROMEO5, but I have yet to even hold one, much less shoot a rifle equipped with one.

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post