SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique    Freedom Munitions, Northern Hills Precision, Precision One, Others?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freedom Munitions, Northern Hills Precision, Precision One, Others? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
What's the verdict on manufacturers and re-manufacturers such as Freedom Munitions, Northern Hills Precision, Precision One Ammunition, Black Hills, Georgia Arms, etc.?

Any we particularly like, and with which most members have had good, reliable results? Any in particular that should be avoided at all costs?

Reason I ask is I just added 45 (Long) Colt to my stable. That stuff can be hella 'spensive. ($1/round at the LGS is cheap!)

Lead "cowboy" and semi-jacketed target stuff from known manufacturers runs ±50¢ to ±60¢ per round. Whereas plated range ammo similar to WWB can be had from the re-manufactures for ±45¢/round.

Reading the reviews on Freedom's plated 255 gr. FP, for example, I'm seeing positive reviews, with some claiming the stuff performs similarly to WWB and runs cleaner.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of Freedom Munitions in the past...9, 45, 40, 223, 10mm and some 357mag....
They have started to lose their shine as far as I'm concerned. I got a batch of 45ACP that had contaminated powder (oil or something) and got squib after squib. They made it good, and I was happy.

But I have now gotten two batches of 147gr 9mm that seems to have size or OAL issues. One batch of 9mm was sketchy in my LoneWolf barrels, I think due to the case not being fully sized. They wouldn't allow my GLOCKs to go fully into battery.
A current batch of 147gr 9mm appears to be, at best, right at maximum OAL since it also won't let my GLOCKs go fully into battery. I haven't mic'ed them, but they are noticeably longer than any "factory" 147gr 9mm that I have compared them to....

The above issues aside...both batches work fine in "factory" barrels. I think the LW chambers are a bit tighter than factory.

I've never had issues with their revolver ammo, but I think it might be a bit more forgiving...

The other brands you mention....I only have experience with Georgia Arms and I have never had issue with them, but I have only used their 10mm (it seems a bit hotter than some other "range" 10mm, like PPU)

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I only buy freedom munitions new ammo. Haven't tried reman. No problems yet. About to crack open a case of stuff i bought almost 2 years ago. Mostly 9mm, started buying their equivalent of green tip and it shiots without any issues. Also buy their standard 5.56 as my indoor range prohibits green tip and it shoots just fine.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments, guys. Guess I'll give them a try.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I've bought 1,000 rounds of 45 re-loads from Freedom since Thanksgiving 2016. I've shot 650 rounds so far and have only had 2 light primer strikes (and they both fired on the 2nd pull.)

Every other round I've fired besides the 2 has been problem free. One item of note with Freedom - don't expect to get your order super-quick. My order at Thanksgiving took about 6 weeks(I figure it was part of the holiday rush) and my 2nd order, around February of this year, took about 4 weeks.

If you are ok with waiting, I would recommend ordering from them.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, remsig. I was considering ordering smaller amounts from multiple sources, anyway, so perhaps that won't be a problem.

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Thanks for the info, remsig. I was considering ordering smaller amounts from multiple sources, anyway, so perhaps that won't be a problem.

You're welcome. That is a good idea but I have found Freedom to have 45 for $.25 a round (the cheapest I've found anywhere) & they will usually offer $7 shipping for orders over $99. I figure I don't need it asap so it's worth waiting.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like freedom munitions but then I am like 75 miles from his shop.
Carl

Posts: 41 | Location: Bofire1@comcast.net | Registered: May 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post