SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique    Shipping ammunition private person to private person
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping ammunition private person to private person Login/Join 
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted
It's been forever since I have shipped ammunition. I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. So that brings me here.

I know USPS is out.

Is there a best way to ship UPS or Fedex?
Who's cheaper?
I understand I may have to have an ORM-D sticker. Where do you get the ORM-D stickers?

I think I am only looking to ship prob 5 - 10 boxes at one time.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
I prefer UPS Ground over FedEx, but YMMV. The ORM-D stickers are outdated and you cannot use them. You must use "Hazardous Materials label for Limited Quantity". If you plug that into a search engine, you will see it. It is a black and white diamond shaped figure. You can even print it out and tape it on the box if you don't want to buy stickers.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10338 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for answering.

Does UPS have a flat rate?
Do I have to tell them it is ammo?

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I just shipped some ammo today via UPS ground. The clerk said that I needed to read all the rules online on UPS about shipping ammo. He told
Me that he was sure that I had done so. He grabbed a box and a couple of those stickers mentioned. I filled out the info on the label computer set up for just customers to use. The shipping price was surprisingly reasonable to me. It ended up being an ok experience.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Expect to pay $20-$40 to ship 5-10 boxes of ammo through UPS Ground, depending on the distance and the total weight of package.

Yes, you have to declare that it's ammo.

Also, it can only be shipped through a UPS hub, not a UPS Store (which is a franchise).

Don't let an uninformed UPS hub clerk try to tell you that you have to pay hazmat fees, or have a hazmat shipping license. That happens from time to time. If so, ask for a manager. The only requirement is the abovementioned diamond Limited Quantity label. (ORM-D is the old style of label.) Loaded ammunition is not hazmat, although loose gunpowder and primer components are.

Posts: 32482 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I just do a Google search for ORM-D and download the triangle and print it/attach it to the box. UPS does the rest and I have not found it to be any more expensive than any other shipment. I've only shipped via UPS but I have never had any problems shipping ammo through them thus far.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Do they have a flat rate? If so what are the parameters?

Can you used the online calculator?

Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
UPDATE - I finally took the plunge. Shipped 13 boxes (20 per box) of 300 blk, via UPS. Packed my own box, clerk weighed it, printed the logo and taped it on the box, the clerk weighed it, and printed me a label. Cost like $21.55. Easy peezy!