SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Not getting notifications.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not getting notifications. Login/Join 
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted
To Para and the mods.

I’m not getting notifications to my sigalert@mac.com address. It’s been going on for years. With the upcoming election, I’d like to be in the loop. My .mac addresses are legitimate seeing as they don’t offer them anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You need to see if those emails are being sent to your spam folder, or if your email provider is blocking them altogether.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I found the issue. You had no notifications set. I didn't bother to look at your profile earlier because your remarks suggested that you had notifications set. I set notifications for all forums for you.

Notificatios are not turned on by default, you have to set them manually.

Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Hi Para,

I've never managed to fix this issue. Every time I choose to add a notification, I get a pop-up window saying my preferences have been updated. But the Notifications tab in the Member Zone doesn't reflect any changes. It simply says "You Have No Subscriptions".

I'm sorry to bother you with this. If it turns out to be something stupid on my end, I'll be pretty embarrassed.

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I just set your profile to get immediate notification of all topics in all forums. Let me know what happens.

Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Morning Para,

I'm getting a slightly different message, but still no notifications are being set. I'll attach a screenshot.

Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Ok, managed to attach a screenshot. Apologies for the size.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Barring para's ability to see the mail logs for the outgoing email (I don't know if he can), the only way to troubleshoot this that I can see is by changing your email address to something else and see if you get the notifications then.

FWIW: I have notifications set for The Classifieds and for anything posted by para. I get them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to try that. But the interesting thing it that the forum site isn't updating any notification settings.

In other words, no matter how many times I try manually adding a notification, my notifications screen in my profile is empty.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
I'm happy to try that. But the interesting thing it that the forum site isn't updating any notification settings.
So if, for example, on the listing page for SIG Forum Office, you click Notify, check Immediate Notification by Email in the popup, then Add Notification, you don't get a brief "updated" message and SIG Forum Office doesn't appear in your Go -> Personal Zone -> Notifications listing with the email notification shown under Delivery?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Correct. My screen shows no new notifications set. (see above screenshot)

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct. My screen shows no new notifications set. (see above screenshot)
Are you seeing the brief "Your preferences have been updated" message, with a "Dismiss" button, when you attempt to set notifications on something?

Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes.
Sorry, my bad, you mentioned that in your OP.

Long shot: Have you tried a different browser?

Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Yup. Safari and Firefox. I could try chrome.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup. Safari and Firefox. I could try chrome.
Wouldn't hurt.

If that doesn't do the trick I'm out of ideas.

Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I think I’m being hazed.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I’m being hazed.
?

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Given the time interval, any chance you're using a different email for your contact information than the one you originally registered with?

I do, which means my "main" email isn't the original registered email. Notices go to that account, which I still have thankfully. I believe that used to be difficult to change, perhaps that's inaccurate. You can see that under your Profile, View/Edit Complete Profile at top right. Worth a look?

If I didn't have that, or wasn't seeing it, I'd think I wasn't getting notices either.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Given the time interval, any chance you're using a different email for your contact information than the one you originally registered with?
You're missing the point. SF's software is claiming his preferences are being updated, but, when he goes to check what his notifications are set to, they're not showing up.