SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Which pistol for IDPA?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which pistol for IDPA? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
I know, that's a wide open question, but hear me out. I've competed in all classes with a variety of guns, but mostly have used my folded slide P226, gone over by Bruce. I bought a SS slide P226 to eventually replace my much-used folded slide model....LOTS of rounds through it. But now a friend of mine put the bug in my ear that maybe I should move to the P320 platform. Any thoughts?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38637 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Are you looking to use this as an excuse to buy something (not that I'd ever do that LOL).

Remember, if you get a different gun you'll need a holster, additional mags and might want to do some modifications (trigger work, different sights, etc). Consider your total cost before making a decision.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Ha! That's how I got my M625 and G17...

Great point about the accessories for the new gun. I'm all decked out for the P226. And I'm used to the DA/SA transition. Maybe I'll give this a bit more thought.

Thanks, SR.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38637 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had similar conversations out at the range.

I started at IDPA to shoot what I carry, at one time it was the 226 or 229, today its a 365.

I still believe you should get your carry gun out there occasionally.

But I've been shooting Revolver a lot.

Some of the gang wanted me to put the Revolver down, and see me get back into bottom feeders.

My first thought was if I was going to shoot optic, I'd change it up all the way and go to the 320.

The ones I tried worked great

But my 226, 229 and 220's still have lots of life, I don't want to get rid of them, I just may need to buy some springs and such and get them out more.

So next year
I will be starting out with the Revolver, for bug matches positively my 365

If I am sticking with standard sights and shooting SSP I decided I'd stay old school, I really believe the 226 and 229 would still work great, if I put in the time.

RC

Posts: 1940 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Well, I have played with a few guns in IDPA as well. I am currently shooting a P320 X5 in Carry Optics, and love it. I shoot that gun for USPSA and Steel, so it is fun. But, some times I want something different, so it is the regular P320 FS in SSP, or the P229 in SSP. Honestly both are fun, and I lean to the P320, mostly cuz it goes into battery easily with a hard reload, and the P229 needs the slide racked. Occasionally I shoot CCP with a P225-A1. Next is to pull out the 1911, but that will be next year. Have fun !

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Many many years ago, I shot my P239 in 357SIG. Big Grin The SO's hated it! I eventually wanted to be more competitive and switched to my P220SS in CDP and then to the P226 in SSP. I haven't shot a BUG match in a long time, but always did well with my Kahr PM9.

Still on the fence about a P320. A shame when I have a good P226...

posted Hide Post
Shoot your everyday carry. I never look at any of the sport matches as anything more than practice with my EDC. If you just want to play games then anything you like goes.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6Guns

When I've seen you shoot

You were always competitive no matter what you were shooting.

Buy the 320 if it appeals to you,

Glad to hear your getting back to some Competition

Have you left the area or will we see you in the spring?

RC

Posts: 1940 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If you want to go to a 320, have at it. Really it doesn’t matter what you shoot in the games.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37116 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Randy, thanks.

Once one gets used to the striker fired pistol, I can see where it could be an advantage, though I have used my (bad grip angle Wink ) G17 at times.

If I do indeed lose my job next spring, you'll definitely see a lot more of me!

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile but I do remember watching 6GUN shoot at matches, he's a VERY accomplished shooter and can shoot anything in his hand WELL!

Posts: 4618 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lon!

I still haven't decided one way or another on the new pistol, but I'm getting closer to sending my newer P226 to Bruce for a little TLC.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I started in that game with a 226, then went Beretta 92, and then changed entirely to a 9mm 1911. I also sometimes use a Smith M&P in 9mm, which is also my USPSA production class gun.

I think the 1911 is the most fun, but the M&P is a good shooter.

Pick what you like the best and is the most fun for you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53119 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I started with what I had laying around that I had enough magazines and carriers for...Beretta 96, SIG 226/220. When I got a bit more serious I shot a S&W M&P9 tricked out with Apex Tactical parts before moving to a S&W M-686 tuned up by Flork.

I'm currently dabbling with the SIG 320, because it allows me to shoot SSP, ESP, CCP, and CO with exactly the same trigger. When I need a change of pace, I have a PCC I bring out

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
P320 X5 with GrayGuns trigger and Romeo 1 in CO for me.

CO is great - perfect for low light stages, and I’ve found that the optic significantly helps my aging eyes on distant targets.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post