SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Anybody been through the FLETC FITP Course?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody been through the FLETC FITP Course? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I'm trying to put together a list of classes that I want to take for work next year, and some firearms stuff, particularly long-gun related, is on the list. I went though our state academy's firearms instructor school a couple of years ago, which predominantly covers handgun, and was hoping to do the shotgun and rifle instructor classes in 2020. I had approval and was actually signed up for the shotgun class for April 2020, and waiting for them to post the rifle class, when everything got cancelled due to COVID.

I'm pretty competent with a handgun, and know my way around a rifle and shotgun decently well from a technical perspective, but I'm weak on long gun tactics and have minimal formal training on them. Even with handguns, there's always more to learn, and I'm trying to grow as an instructor.

Our academy has been so backlogged because of the covid shutdown that they have not offered these classes since before 2020, and I have no idea at this point when they might get around to offering them again. There are none posted on the calendar at this time. My Chief is hesitant to approve 3rd party courses due to lack of state certification, cost, and round count (we can barely get ammo as it is)...and while this has been frustrating this past year, I can understand it.

In searching, I saw that FLETC opens their FITP (Firearms Instructor Training Program) to instructors from local agencies...and it looks like it's free if you can get accepted. The website has a basic overview, but not a ton of detail. I'm not even sure if students are supposed to bring their own ammo or not. It lists shotgun, rifle, and submachine gun as topics of study in the course, so apparently there is a long-gun component, but I have no idea how deep they go into that.

I was curious if anyone here has been through this course, and if so would it accomplish what I'm looking for. I think that due to it's federal accreditation and (from what I understand) low cost, it might be an easier sell to my boss than some of the other options I'm seeing out there. It would help a lot if I had more detail to present to him when I ask, though.

If you don't want to discuss it on an open forum, my e-mail is in my profile.

Thanks!

Posts: 8517 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
FITP is primarily about running large groups of people through detailed lesson plans or qualifying them. If you attend at a FLETC campus, the ammo is included. There is very little "tactics" in the class. Just shooting and some FATS work.

If you want tactics, FLETC has a Basic Tactics Class that is pretty good.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that helps!

Posts: 8517 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jlw
posted Hide Post
I attended an export class just prior to the world ending. They provided the ammo for the class, but lodging was not included.

You will have to shoot a pistol qual on Day 1 to stay in the class. There is a rifle shoot (iron sights only) during the class as well as a shotgun shoot, both for score, and you have to make a presentation and do a one-on-one with an instructor.

It is not a shooting school. It is not an individual coaching school. As John wrote, it's about running groups of shooters through courses of fire.

You do get a bunch of resources in the way of lesson plans, etc, as well as a nice credential from the class.

Posts: 22 | Registered: May 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Honestly, that's not all bad. The lesson plans would be valuable at the very least. At this point I'll take whatever I can get. What I'd really like to develop is the individual coaching stuff, though...helping students diagnose and work through problems. The state instructor course was light on that as well.

So much of LE firearms training is just making sure people can pass the minimums...and the minimums are way too easy. I'd really like to be able to help my guys (and myself) move beyond that. Continuous improvement is the goal...at least for those who are willing to pursue it, and I have a few who are.

I did apply for the class a couple of weeks ago. There was only one section left with openings, so I put in for that one. I haven't heard anything back, so I likely won't get in anyway.

What's the qual like? Typical LE qualification, or is the bar set a little higher?

Picture of jlw
posted Hide Post
May I email it to you? It's the FLETC PPC qual.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, absolutely. It's in my profile.

Picture of jlw
posted Hide Post
Sent. I emailed as you were posting.

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Echoing: FITP includes a chunk of basic Instructional Technique / coaching stuff, some on-line coaching practice, and the implicit recognition that most of its graduates will be running in-service quarterly qualifications for their agency and not much "basic" instruction.

Rambling pontification follows: Any FLETC course is a concoction made by putting all of the priorities/demands of the participating agencies (stakeholders) into a virtual blender, pressing "pulse" a few times, and then pouring out the lesson plan. FITP (and basically all of the "mixed basic" programs) are good examples. Your classmates may work for an agency with fewer than 20 officers/agents (who carry only handguns), or with HSI (several thousand, who carry the whole spectrum) or somewhere in between but you'll all get the same FITP curriculum... handgun, shotgun, rifle, some NLTA/force-on-force coverage, etc.

It's not a bad class at all, nor was FIRTP the first time or two. But it's only one "brick" of a decent building.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'd really like to be able to help my guys (and myself) move beyond that. Continuous improvement is the goal...at least for those who are willing to pursue it, and I have a few who are.

Honestly, your best bet is to start taking private sector classes from reputable folks and make sure you take notes. Don't take high-speed death ninja stuff but their entry level classes. This will get you multiple ways of explaining the same concept.

Don't know where you are but Lee and I would highly recommend Larry Mudgett in the SLC area. If you're more east coast then someone like Tom Given is worth looking at.

Remember, there is skill and skill application - they are different and you need to train for each accordingly.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's looking like I will probably have to make time to take classes on my own. I was hoping to attend Lee's class in Terre Haute, but I can't get the day off. I'll just have to keep watching and hope something lands on a time that fits into my schedule.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Best I recall, you aren’t all that far from 42003 are you?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37116 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Best I recall, you aren’t all that far from 42003 are you?

Not too far...about 6.5 hours.