SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Should we shift our primary focus to 22s?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should we shift our primary focus to 22s? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
My grandfather, and his friends, (all combat vets TMK) used to go to the dump, and shoot rats with their 22s, sometimes with flashlights after dark.

He’d also go to the state trooper barracks and shoot his 38.

Now, I think some of the low caliber stuff was because hearing protection was little more than cotton balls for much of his life.

But, I can’t help but think that a man who’s shooting rats on a regular basis has to be proficient.

22s seemed to be “THE” toys for them. The revolvers/side arms/hunting guns were all good quality, but the 22s were cherished.

Maybe that was just his group, maybe it was true of most WWII vets.

It may be one of those things which “is a good idea but won’t sell,” like starting a new shooter with a SIRT, but I think doing a bunch of say suppressed 22 matches, might be more inviting to people/should be far more affordable.

Posts: 5209 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For most of the folks I've introduced to shooting, we first shot with 22lr rifles & handguns.

I started a few on 223 rifles, as they really wanted to shoot AR15s and also wanted to shooter larger caliber rifles. I now have 22lr AR15 uppers, which I would now use instead of 223 as starter rifles.

There a many advantages to training with 22lr -- lower cost and reduced recoil are high on the list. Suppressed sub-sonic loads are just great fun. A 22lr doesn't shoot itself. The nut behind the trigger still must use the fundamentals of marksmanship to shoot well.

I know I should spend more time practicing with 22lr rifles.

Posts: 7489 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Plus, if you're limited to 50/100 meter ranges, you can learn more about wind doping from .22RF than .223 Remington.

I once heard a good coach comment that it's easier to transition a smallbore shooter to high power than vice versa. Makes sense.

Posts: 14835 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've jumped into the .22 game with both feet lately, and have been shooting it quite a bit. Part of that is that I purchased my first supressor (it's still in jail) and I've been assembling a collection of hosts for that fine day when I actually get to bring it home, but I've been enjoying shooting it unsuppressed, too.

I put together a CMMG .22LR dedicated upper this past week and my son and I burned through 800+ rounds with it without a single malfunction. Well, we did have one...it won't run CCI quiet, but I didn't expect it to. Everything standard velocity and above is perfect.

.22 shooting is cathartic. It's cheap, you don't have to worry about losing reloadable brass if you don't find it all, there's no sore shoulder or palms afterwards, and trying to wring out small groups or plink spent shotgun shells is just fun. It's also good time spent practicing the fundamentals without worrying about recoil...it's like dry-fire with actual on-target feedback.

The one thing that gets me is that a lot of .22s are unreliable. It's not just semi-autos, either...I've had levers and bolt actions that light strike, and semis that short-stroke, stovepipe, or misfeed. But if you can find one that runs reliably, they're awesome.

Posts: 6572 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I shoot my .22’s more than anything else. My club has steel targets varying distances 25 to 150 feet. Good entertainment for an afternoon to hear that “ping”.

I also have a CMMG .22 conversion kit for AR’s. Some have said they are not accurate, well as long as I can hit the steels and hear them I’m good to go.

My collection of .22 rifles go back to the 1930’s through the early 70’s. Unreliable is the last thing I’d say about any of them. Of the two pistols the Sig/GSG 1911-22 is better than the Buckmark, that Browning has to be kept clean or it won’t function. I’ve estimated that the Browning has had maybe 5-6k through it, the 1911-22 maybe 3-4K

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 7489 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I like shooting my 22 LR guns and agree that they are very easy and fun to shoot.

But although even the best precision shooters practice with them, they can’t substitute for everything we get by training with centerfire guns. Managing recoil is a significant issue in shooting guns chambered for other cartridges. As one member here has pointed out, even when shooting a CF autoloading rifle like an AR-10 it’s more difficult to achieve precision results than with a bolt gun. Many people (myself included) have found that the greater the recoil a cartridge produces, the harder it is to shoot well, and I believe it’s a widely-accepted fact. I have even seen references to that in discussions about military sniper training.

In addition, there’s the issue of follow-up or rapid fire shots. Getting back on target quickly with a rimfire rifle is different than with even an AR chambered for 223/5.56, and it may be even more important with handguns.

Shooting a gun with little or no felt recoil can allow the shooter to be sloppy in some ways that CF cartridges won’t tolerate. There’s obviously nothing wrong with focusing on or even using such guns to the exclusion of anything else, but we should keep in mind that they’re not the same as shooting much more powerful CF cartridges.

7/93
“So let’s speculate, a word that sounds like an activity that should be—and once was—done in private.”
Link

Posts: 46378 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post