SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Favorite drills with steel targets and preferred shape?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite drills with steel targets and preferred shape? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Is there a favorite drill that works better on steel than paper? Any particular shape that helps?

I was doing some draw and one shot drills on a 10” plate at 12 yards and that worked ok. I wonder if the 10” is too big. I don’t want to build bad habits. I see Shoot Steel offers an A zone sized steel target and I’m thinking I’ll get a couple of those.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
We do this same 1 shot thing at 10 yds or so 8 & 10" plates. A A-zone shaped piece of steel works nicely, or the 33% silhouette steel at 15 yds. I also cut the A-zone out of the USPSA target, start at seven yds with 2 shots, move back until I suck, then start over. For me it's about reducing draw times, indexing the dot, and throwing in a mag change in the shoot 1, reload, shoot one. Mix it up, shoot 100 rnds, and move on to something else.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

I was doing some draw and one shot drills on a 10” plate at 12 yards and that worked ok. I wonder if the 10” is too big.

Just back up to 15 or 20 yards.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

I was doing some draw and one shot drills on a 10” plate at 12 yards and that worked ok. I wonder if the 10” is too big.

Just back up to 15 or 20 yards.

Or back up to 25yds, draw shoot 3 from concealment with a 3 second par time. Common drill I do.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post