SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Justifying/rationalizing intervention in various active shooter scenarios
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Justifying/rationalizing intervention in various active shooter scenarios Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There was a "fall festival" in the small downtown square today, where I work. Local PD had a couple Kawasaki Mules they were tooling around in, and of course they had an on-foot presence as well. I don't know any of them real well, but I have talked with most of them at least once before, and have interacted with a few of them numerous times, between small talk if I run into them somewhere, or chatting while I am fingerprinted for NFA stuff. In talking to a Kawasaki driver today, who's a Captain, I asked him if he had a carbine with him. He didn't. I thought it was friggen odd. Why not? I reminded him about rooftops (highland park), and he agreed that it may have been prudent to equip with carbines. I was in no way telling this officer how to do his job. I am not LE. I train with a neighboring town's department sometimes, because they are kind enough to let me do so, but I have never had a badge. I just think it's a bit aggravating that we don't seem to be learning our lessons, when it comes to these target-rich scenarios. What say the SIGforum LE folks?

Posts: 1158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The mules are likely not equipped with a lockable rack to secure their carbines. I know ours is not. The last thing you want is for somebody to grab it out of the mule when you're not looking, and now you've armed the shooter. The alternative is wearing it on-body all day, but not only does that suck (heavy and cumbersome, and no fun to have to go hands-on with somebody when wearing one, which is a far more likely activity for the average patrol cop than shooting somebody with a rifle), but the optics are not good, and I don't see that going over too well with the local populace. I know it wouldn't fly where I work.

Posts: 6279 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with two local police officers, from two different towns in my area, about this topic, specifically, since my previous post. They both responded with comments similar to 92fstech, concerning public perception, or "optics". I have crafted the following, to be submitted to the county paper today, in an effort to affect public opinion. I also intend to address the city council, with a letter more catered to them specifically.

Make a hard target
Independence Day, 2022; Highland Park, Illinois: seven people are killed and forty-eight more are non-fatally injured at a parade, when a deranged young man opens fire from a rooftop with a rifle. September 24th, 2022; _______, Georgia: a very similar target is created, in the form of our Fall Festival. By the grace of God, nothing terrible unfolded on that day. In my opinion, we apparently haven't learned from a horrific event that occurred not even three months ago. What can we do, though? We can't eliminate the possibility of a deranged individual reaching his tipping point; not until a lot more thinking and work is done, concerning our poisonous contemporary American culture. We also can't disarm him in any way that also disarms law-abiding Americans. What we can do is enable our local police officers to protect and serve in a way that primarily deters an active shooter, and secondarily eliminates him quickly and safely. In order to create and execute this attitude, the officers need to be equipped with rifles of their own. This is where some people seem to have a problem. In talking with three different officers from three different locations, both local and otherwise, I have learned that the public's perception of a rifle-equipped officer is what ultimately prevents them from being so-prepared. If our community's safety is a priority, it seems we'd do well to change our perception. I have been fortunate enough to attend a small amount of active shooter training, and participate in more than one discussion on the subject, with people more informed than me. The bottom line is always time. Time is of the essence, in these situations. Seconds; not minutes. An officer's ability to engage the shooter with the same kind of accurate, potentially extended-range gunfire is what saves our lives in those seconds, and a rifle in the trunk of a locked patrol car may as well be in the PD armory. Our safety is in our hands, as the people of _______ County. We need to be comfortable, even heart-warmed, in seeing an officer at the fall festival carrying a rifle, keeping a wary eye on the surrounding rooftops. We have a very professional and motivated police force in _______; it's up to us to ask them, to let them, serve us the way the need and want to. I hope you, dear reader, aren't clenching your fists in preparing a cry of “police state!”, as that would be quite foolish. I am talking about our officers weapons and eyes oriented outward; not inward. Another oft-repeated weak opposition to such a proposal is something like “we shouldn't need rifle-toting cops at a small town fall festival”, to which I say you're absolutely right. Right now, though, we do need them, and the fact that we shouldn't is not a good reason to prohibit common-sense moves to be pro-active about our safety. In order for all this to work, we need to communicate effectively. We need to use social and print media to inform potential event attendees that our police officers are in a heightened state of readiness, for our safety. That way no one will be nervous, with the wrong idea that “something's afoot at the festival”, when they see an officer that many might consider over-equipped. With this communication will come an understanding, and perhaps a more fruitful festival turnout that we ever thought possible, because attendees will keep coming back to our downtown square because it's the safest place in northeast Georgia for such an event. Choose safety, enabled by our brave public servants, over preconceived notions of what a police officer should or shouldn't look like or do. Reconsider your perception of police, and enable our community's safety.

Posts: 1158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Hey, hey, what’s that sound?
Thousands of concealed carriers trying a 40 yard drill. Wink

Why not? We all did the Jack Wilson drill for a few weeks in early '20. Wink

Funny you mention Jack, I worked that shooting. He is a super cool guy and I made a life long friend during that investigation.

Not sure if this was mentioned above, but one serious thing to consider if you do have an opportunity to engage an active shooter, is you are very likely to be mistakenly shot by the cops when they arrive. Keep that in mind and put your gun away ASAP.

Posts: 9 | Registered: November 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post