SIGforum
My first tactical handgun class

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/451105858/m/3120006664

February 14, 2020, 08:36 AM
Ronin1069
My first tactical handgun class
So forgive me while I ’geek out’ a bit here.

I’ve been carrying 16 years, carry every day, but am admittedly not well trained.

After watching that most recent “church shooting” video and studying the AAR’s that were online about it, I decided to invest in some training; the LGS offers a number of tactical pistol classes and allows members to ‘test’ for their Tactical Club where you may practice live-fire quick draws and double taps.

Last evening was Tactical Pistol 1 - man was that fun! We focused on drawing from the holster and using correct technique to quickly employ and target with a smooth trigger pull as your arms reach extension. Then to “assess”, check your 360 and recover.

We used a speed timer as well, amazing how stressful that initially was and how easy it was to fumble the draw, (even with just the laser pistol) but during live-fire I was able to “draw” and hit center mass at 1.48 seconds. (7 yards).

So much discussion around ’drills’ and muscle memory; one thing that really kicked me in the ass was during draw-training in the class room I was not taking my finger off of the trigger during ’the assess’ after I had shot. Of course I knew better, but it was not habit in that situation. By the end of the night I was 100% improved.

Anyway, this may be common knowledge and habit to many of you guys, buy as someone just (finally) beginning this journey into becoming a more knowledgeable and trained shooter, brothers am I hooked!

We watched this video during class...wow.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
February 26, 2020, 05:31 PM
TheFrontRange
Sounds like a good class!

I’ve had some intermittent training over the years, most recently at what was called a “Handgun Skills” class at my local range. The session focused on some of the same things you described (but with no timer component). Completion of the session allows attendees to draw from the holster while on the line at future range visits, something this particular facility is rather strict about NOT normally allowing.

There’s the promise of future skill-building classes to come there. In the meantime, I’m working on the fundamentals from this session and some prior training every range outing.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
February 29, 2020, 11:06 AM
Ronin1069
Learned this week that after completing courses 2 and 3, I can test for the LGS’s “Tactical Club”.

After passing this test, I will be able to use the Police Range during specific timeframes to practice shooting from “the Draw”

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
March 01, 2020, 06:41 AM
rappa
I can relate! I’ve been shooting since I was 18. Practicing, learning basic techniques to shoot proficiently, grip, sight picture, stance, trigger control, etc, etc. I’m 48 now and recently started taking tactical\practical classes. They’ve been very eye opening! The 4 classes I’ve taken so far learned and performed malfunction drills, reloads, multiple threats, using cover, when not to shoot, drawing from concealment and I’m signing up for more! My LGS has at least 4 classes for pistol and occasional Carbine and Shotgun every month. It’s humbling ‘cos I’m a n00b to this type of training, but also exciting to be learning all these practical situations. So I completely relate to your exuberance about taking these type of training!
June 26, 2020, 01:44 AM
dry-fly
I’m in the same boat you were in Ronin. I’ve carried for nearly 30yrs.. and I’ve had instruction along the way, but no defensive training. I desperately want to do that soon.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
July 10, 2020, 10:01 PM
Davenator
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I’m in the same boat you were in Ronin. I’ve carried for nearly 30yrs.. and I’ve had instruction along the way, but no defensive training. I desperately want to do that soon.

Lots of competent instructors in TEXAS.
July 16, 2020, 01:38 PM
bendable
money well spent,I'd say

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
July 17, 2020, 01:18 AM
ruger357
I’ve taken a lot of classes from top tier instructors. I learn something new every time.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
July 18, 2020, 04:10 PM
ClivefromtheMed
In my country, we can't legally carry. However, I shoot and teach a lot of IPSC (USPSA) style shooting and can confirm that the beep of the timer injects a substantial amount of stress and tension into the mix. It's a good way to easily and safely add the element of stress to your training scenarios.

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)
July 24, 2020, 03:27 AM
rappa
Attended another Lowlight class yesterday. First time I did it used a WML (Sig P320 9mm fullsize, TLR7). This time I used Glock 26 with handheld Streamlight ProTac 90 and my cellphone. For me, using the WML was “easier” since I could shoot with normal 2 handed grip and free hand for reloads, but of course had to use it to also illuminate my way around the course. I did pretty well with handheld and shooting one handed. I liked having my light source free to scan. Challenges were reloading and racking the slide, especially when I used my phone as a light. The ProTac was having issues with on\off. At one point I was sitting in the complete dark during the middle of my run trying to get it to turn on. It eventually did, but I switched to my phone by the end of the class. I highly recommend taking a Lowlight class!
October 06, 2020, 06:26 PM
adc
Good for you. Most folks that CCW don't know what they don't know. They feel they need to have a couple mags that hold 15 rounds.

Personal Protection Outside the home is a good NRA class. Some Vo-Tecs have a law enforcement center. HACC in Harrisburg is an example. You get addicted to taking courses. Roll Eyes

allen conrad
October 09, 2020, 03:33 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by rappa:
This time I used Glock 26 with handheld Streamlight ProTac 90 and my cellphone... Challenges were reloading and racking the slide

I can't speak to using a cell phone as a light, but with a handheld flashlight, practice with stashing it somewhere (off, of course) during reloads and malfunction clearances. This will free up your support hand.

With a smaller light, you can stick it in your mouth. Bigger lights can be clamped under your your armpit. Or, you can stash either one in a pocket.

Practice with it, and it'll become second nature.
November 14, 2020, 05:12 PM
adc
I am an NRA Basic pistol instructor and "Refuse to be a Victim". Been taking classes for 5 years at Harrisburg Community College Law Enforcement Center. I have taken the NRA "Personal Protection Inside the Home", Personal Protection Outside the Home, and Defensive Pistol. I go Dec 5th to become an instructor "Personal Protection Inside the Home" Eventually hope to teach those. I love taking lessons..lol.

I'm 74 so I need to move fast. Smile

allen conrad
November 15, 2020, 12:35 PM
armored
quote:
Originally posted by adc:
I am an NRA Basic pistol instructor and "Refuse to be a Victim". Been taking classes for 5 years at Harrisburg Community College Law Enforcement Center. I have taken the NRA "Personal Protection Inside the Home", Personal Protection Outside the Home, and Defensive Pistol. I go Dec 5th to become an instructor "Personal Protection Inside the Home" Eventually hope to teach those. I love taking lessons..lol.

I'm 74 so I need to move fast. Smile

I'm an NRA instructor in all the above areas including NRA Law Enforcement Instructor in Handgun/Shotgun.
At 69 years of age moving fast quickly disappeared several years
ago.
Now I practice shooting, or NOT shooting, smart, and accurately if I do. I only carry what I'm the most proficient with, Usually a full size CZ that I dress to for a CCW. Always with a spare magazine in case of a malfunction.
Shooting styles and tactics change as we get older.