SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Shooting on the move. How relevant is it; where is it most applicable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting on the move. How relevant is it; where is it most applicable? Login/Join 
posted
If you're moving, and you're presented with targets, in any direction, do you stop to engage, and then proceed on your original course, or do you shoot on the move?

I know circumstantial nuances dictate the best tactics to employ, and the situation I described is not cut and dry. Please consider this in the confines of the CQB context; i.e. inside a building or in a very tight urban setting.

I can get good hits on two targets faster if I pause my movement. However, I suspect something can be said for making a moving target of yourself, and disrupting the opponent's "OODA loop". I suppose if you're part of a team, you may be obliged to continue movement, as to not disrupt another teammates movement.

What say you?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2157 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't fully follow the question in the CQB or in a building (room clearing) context. But I can say that my personal (emphasis personal) skill set is if I am moving fore and aft I can get good hits while moving no matter the target situation. If I am moving strictly laterally and the target is moving laterally I have to stop to get good hits. Maybe more training would fix that, but its not something easy to set up. Most of the building setups I've used in training the 'hostile' isn't moving they have a good defensive position and that's the challenge since I'm a bit short on grenades in my kit.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made mention of the close-quarters context, because it seems to me that that's the only context in which one would consider shooting on the move. Any sort of more distant target that presents itself perpendicular to the shooter's direction of movement would allow the seconds it would take to adopt a temporary stable position, or move to the nearest cover or environmental feature that could support the shooter and his weapon.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that, in the conventional room-to-room building combat context, a continuous movement is what the mind's eye typically conjures. I have trained the "stack" room entrance an clearance tactics before, and shooting on the move was typical, as you moved to your point in the room, engaging anything in your area of responsibility.
quote:
Most of the building setups I've used in training the 'hostile' isn't moving they have a good defensive position and that's the challenge since I'm a bit short on grenades in my kit.
That does seem a more likely LE scenario, and can also be applied to the attack of a defended structure in the open warfare context. If you're trying to take over a room, or entire structure, from an enemy that knows your intentions, and knows you're there, you're really up against it.