SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Interview with George Harris, Co-founder of the Sig Academy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interview with George Harris, Co-founder of the Sig Academy Login/Join 
Picture of jlw
posted

Posts: 22 | Registered: May 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee. I'm about halfway through this one...been listening to it in the car at work. Some interesting historical insights on the Sig Academy and how it got it's start.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
For anyone who might find this interesting, Mr. Harris provides an inside look at the procurement process for the M11 and the Federal Air Marshall P229s near the end of the interview. It was pretty enlightening, and answered some questions I've always had, like why in the heck an agency who's primary function is fighting inside airplanes would choose a round with increased penetration potential like .357 Sig (spoiler: because the guy in charge wanted it).

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm just now seeing this. George was one of the instructors when I took my first class at the academy.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39324 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
For anyone who might find this interesting, Mr. Harris provides an inside look at the procurement process for the M11 and the Federal Air Marshall P229s near the end of the interview. It was pretty enlightening, and answered some questions I've always had, like why in the heck an agency who's primary function is fighting inside airplanes would choose a round with increased penetration potential like .357 Sig (spoiler: because the guy in charge wanted it).

Federal agencies all are weird when it comes to firearm selection. The boss at the time came from USSS, and they had P229s in 357. When the FAMS ranks swelled post 9/11, the new boss went 357. Since that time, they have had only one OIS and it was on the ground on a jet way.

The FAMS adopted the Glock 19 since and that has been a shit show all the way around. They got new guns, no one gave any for thought to getting holsters, which delayed the deployment for another year. The selection of the 19 was challenged by those inside the ranks that wanted the 320, but again, the USSS selected the 19 so the FAMS got the 19.

None of federal selection has to do with the guns, but mainly upon whoever is in charge of the fiefdom at the time.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37214 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post