SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I got a couple of hours alone at the range today trying to get my project Glenfield 70 to feed Remington Golden Bullets. After about an hour and a half of swapping springs around (which requires complete disassembly of the rifle, each time) and cursing the darn thing, I'd had enough. Remington Golden is just inconsistent junk...unfortunately I have a ton of it that I spent way too much money on. I guess I have a bunch of fodder for my bolt actions, leverguns, and revolvers.

Anyway, I decided to take a break from the rimfire nightmare and shoot the postal match. In keeping with the practical spirit of the match, I decided to do it with my regular off-duty carry gear...a P245 in a Desantis Thumb Scabbard. I also decided to run it on the clock, just for fun.

Normally with these, I decide on the match target when I hang it, and that's the one I shoot for score. I found myself cheating, though...taking too much time in the interest of good hits. Ultimately, I decided that the first target where I kept all 3 double-taps under 5 seconds from the holster was going to be the official one. So here's the result:

I score it as a 56 with one X (just squeaked that one flier into the 8 ring there at the bottom!). Times are recorded a the top left.

Thanks for a great course of fire, FrontRange. It definitely adds some pressure when you add the timer, and I felt like it was a really practical exercise that forced me to focus on sight acquisition under pressure, and even to re-evaluate some of my carry gear (I want to go run this with my open top IWB holster now and see how my times from concealment compare to this one with the thumb break). It also brought to light some deficiencies in my draw, and my results made it clear that I need to spend some time working on speed and consistency from the holster. So thanks...it was fun and informative!

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Great shooting, sir!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Excellent work!

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
They let me practice concealed from holster but before I shot the match target, they came out and said they checked with the boss, and he said no, so these are controlled pairs from low ready.

The pistol is a 357 Sig police trade in P226 DAK. It looked nicer out of the box but even without much abuse, the (re?)finish is easily dinged.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, and still a nice looking pistol. Nothing wrong with a little honest wear on a working gun!

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and yeah, it has "street cred." Big Grin

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'll have to use my old P229 duty gun for one of these at some point so you can see it. It's got street cred, too...some of it from the actual street...rolling on the asphalt more than once in an OWB duty holster (once from slipping on the ice and landing on my back, full turtle, in front of a school bus full of kids...not my finest moment, lol Big Grin). The poor thing has not had an easy life. I can guarantee you it'll make you feel better about the condition of that P226! Big Grin

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Hey, nice @RichardC!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, TheFrontRange!

And 92fstech. Were you wearing a bodycam? Please post the sky view shots. Big Grin

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Thanks, TheFrontRange!

And 92fstech. Were you wearing a bodycam? Please post the sky view shots. Big Grin

Thankfully, no, I wasn't. I was off-duty for that one, but happened to be on station working on something else when the call went out, and ended up running out there with the duty guy. I'm sure the school bus cameras caught it, but thankfully nobody at work has access to those Big Grin.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Got myself to the range today for some practice as well as to take my stab at this latest match.

I was able to run this one from concealment but sans a timer, so I’m missing that component of things.

Gun of choice this time was a Smith and Wesson 27-2 .357 Magnum with a 3-1/2” barrel. I used .38 Special rounds for the match, 130 grainer (I think) FMJ rounds from Georgia Arms. Gunleather was from Barranti, their CCR holster and Triple Deuce 2x2x2 ammo pouch.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
FrontRange, that Model 27 is absolutely awesome, and apparently a shooter as well as a looker. Very nice work! I really like that triple deuce ammo pouch, too...it looks like a comfortable way to carry a reload, and practical as well.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Many thanks! I’d originally had this gun in mind for this match but almost ran it with a 1911 instead, but changed my mind back obviously haha.

I have a more weathered Triple Deuce that I wear just about daily with ammo for my S&W 642; when I got this 27, I treated it to fresh Barranti goods.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
TFR, really nice revolver, rig and target! Smile

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you, RichardC!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
92fstech, it looks like TheFrontRange buried us in a landslide. Smile

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ That cannot be - I demand a recount haha! Smile

I need to get myself a shot timer to add that element to the mix - it would be a handy tool all-around.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That reminded me:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...450060174#5450060174

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Indeed he has! I know we we had decided to let this one run until Dec 7, but since we're all done, do you want to go ahead with the next one? TheFrontRange has the honors...and with it the associated responsibility Big Grin!

This is the timer I use. It's nothing fancy, and kind of expensive, but it's way better than the phone app that I tried before (and I typically have the range to myself, so I wasn't even dealing with noise from other shooters). https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...0bh61RYaAlTuEALw_wcB

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Well, I just had a really good day at the range, then, is all I can say haha…y’all are great company in this and I’m glad to be finally dialing-in a little better than I was earlier.

How do y’all feel about something featuring pistol-caliber carbines / rifles, and / or do y’all have one? I do and need to give it a fresh workout; however, if not realistic for this format, I can come up with something for the sidearms.