SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yes. B8 target. I figured for those that can’t move just do everything static from low ready. No time limit. I’m trying to get my guys to keep both eyes open and present and acquire the dot while focusing on the target. Everyone has it so ingrained to close one eye and find the front sight. If the chief would’ve let us mill our slides it wouldn’t be so hard. As it is now everyone kind of has to dip the front to find the dot.

I’ll do a test run on Friday night when I get back to work.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
This was the rough draft our new guy did for his teach back lesson at instructor school.

Are those distances really supposed to be in feet, not yards?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yes, we start close for red dot familiarization. I know when I went to a red dot school, it was 10 rounds in 12 seconds in a B8 from 75 feet for our final.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No timer but I shot as fast as I could and reloaded on the move. Looks like I’m shooting left again. Maybe we should move the distances further back?

That’s my duty gun. I got it milled before the chief banned milling.

Everyone else is stuck with this:

Not minority enough!

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well here's mine. I don't know as we need to move it back, as I shot both 20 feet and 20 yards, since there was some discrepancy about the intent. I didn't find that the distance made much difference, it was the transitions that got me (apart from the fact that I can't find shot #12 on the 20 yard target...maybe it went through the same hole as the other 3 at 6 o'clock, otherwise I missed the whole darn board, but I didn't feel any that felt like I threw them).

The times were even pretty similar (they both sucked). I just had the same problem I always have with the dot...the initial two-handed draw was fine, but when I tried to transition to one-handed stuff, especially left-hand-only, I had to hunt and hunt for the dot, and then again after recoil on every shot. It frustrates the heck out of me that I can't seem to fix that, no matter how much ammo I waste trying.

So here's my target(s)...the one on the left is the "offical" starting at 20 feet, and the one on the right was 20 yards. Shot with what is pretty much an exact replica of my duty gun, but with the addition of the RMR, since we don't have optics (probably a blessing for me at this point). Chowser, I actually had this particular slide milled by Maple Leaf at your recommendation a while back...they did good work!

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Hey, nice shooting and gear, people!

Y’all really make me want to get one of these sights. Which, of course, likely also means a new gun.

The SF Enablement Cycle marches on LOL!

I was at the range today but was absorbed in reacquainting myself with a gun I’d parted with a few months back; had an opportunity to re-snag it, thankfully.

Don’t wait on me for this round. If I can give this one a go later next week, I shall, but no worries if this round needs to yield to the next.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was at the range today but was absorbed in reacquainting myself with a gun I’d parted with a few months back; had an opportunity to re-snag it, thankfully.

This sounds like a good story...maybe a range report? Smile

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

This sounds like a good story...maybe a range report? Smile

A tale of gun-lust, intrigue, and reunion - and maybe a range report haha… Big Grin

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Adapted by starting from surrender position with gun&mags on table, shooting, reloading, punching control pad buttons to reset distance, and shooting at the best speed I could manage. Can't move left or right, so I marched in place while the target advanced. Smile

FNX-45, SRO, 185GR FMJ from Georgia-Arms.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

When ready to shoot the match, I tried setting the phone up against the pistol rest and converting the video file to a gif file.
If it works on your computer, you'll notice that I got all cornfuzzled under match pressure, and hit "7" on the control box instead of " 4 ... 7 ... Enter", and had to re-enter the correct command to send it back out to 7 feet.
If this had been real life Tueller drill, I'd have been stabbed in the face, knocked down and teabagged. Frown Big Grin

http://i.imgur.com/dUsVykp.gifv

The motion seems to show on my home computer and browser. It appears still for many seconds, you can see the smoke from the first 4 shots, then the movement starts.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting, RichardC! And we even get video...I love how the center of that target gets obliterated there at the end Big Grin.

quote:
Can't move left or right, so I marched in place while the target advanced.

Ok, so am I the only one who is disappointed that we didn't get to see this on the video? Lol...would have been entertaining to watch, for sure Big Grin! I'm very impressed by the dedication to trying to adhere to the match parameters within the constraints placed on you by your range, though. Honestly, it's probably harder to move the target, run in place, reload, and shoot all at the same time than it is to just run-and-gun it, so excellent work, sir!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
@RichardC, love it, including the in-place march! Well-done!

posted Hide Post
High percentage of the pistol shooting I do is with a focus on speed and good enough accuracy. Turned that speed drive off, focused on a smooth, slow triggr pull. Did not time myself.

Glock G45/RMR, 124PD JHP/WSF/loaded at +P'ish pressure. No gamer load!

If I happen to win one of these, you guys best prepared for some time crunch Big Grin

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good target, offgrid!

I need to get a shot timer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Good target, offgrid!

I need to get a shot timer.

Thanks! Oh, nice video!

Doing a Wall Drill for about 30 minutes the day before helped Wink Great dry fire drill for accuracy, trigger control and all that stuff.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting offgrid!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys...went straight from work yesterday to 15 hours in the car and kinda lost a whole day...didn't realize it was Tuesday already, and time for a new one of these!

Offgrid, I believe you have the honors this time. Very nice shooting, sir! Lay one on us!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Sorry guys...went straight from work yesterday to 15 hours in the car and kinda lost a whole day...didn't realize it was Tuesday already, and time for a new one of these!

Offgrid, I believe you have the honors this time. Very nice shooting, sir! Lay one on us!

OK thanks!

Does everyone have a shot timer and able to shoot from 3-25yds at your range?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I do, but I can't speak for everyone else. I don't think everyone does.

For those who don't have a timer, the cell phone apps are worth a shot...I've used them, and they're not perfect, but they're better than nothing. If nothing else, it's a free way to time yourself for a just-for-fun postal match on Sigforum Big Grin.

If your range restrictions won't let you comply with the exact terms of the match, just get as close as you can...the primary goal here is to have fun and shoot "together", but if we can get some training value out of it that's great too!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It might take some calendar finagling, and 'smart'phone wrangling ...

Deal the cards, I'm in.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
It might take some calendar finagling, and 'smart'phone wrangling ...

Deal the cards, I'm in.

Cool!

Any caliber AR, irons or red dot no matter.

Target. vertical 3x5 index card or cut up some copy paper.

Distances. 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25yds.

7 rounds.

Time 2.5 seconds.

Hopefully everyone has a timer. If you don't have one shoot it anyway! Count to yourself thousand one, thousand two, shoot!! You'll know if you shot at or under that count.

Start high ready. Butt stock in your shoulder muzzle pointed below the target a couple two or three feet.

Start at 3yds. Hit anywhere on the target and make the time move to 5yds..... Miss the target or time stay there and use another one of your 7 rounds. Miss the target or time again stay there use another one of your 7 rounds. Idea is to hit and make the time with the 7rds to 25yds. Whoever gets the furthest is crowned the champ!. Say I hit and made my time on all so far, miss my first shot at 20yds. 2nd attempt hit and make time. My 7rds are done not shooting at 25yds. RichardC hit and made on all so far as well. Hits and makes time at 20yds then misses 25yds. He got me because he did 20yds in one shot.

Shoot it cold. The first few match shots are your warm ups! Time isn't too hard at first!

My local range is outside. Weather is crappy here on the mountain, sub freezing temp/30+ mph winds/chance of snow until next Monday or Tues, I'll shoot it then most likely.