SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Umm...I love pistol caliber carbines!!! The only problem I'll have will be deciding which one to use. This sounds like an excellent plan to me! What do you think, Richard?

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Umm...I love pistol caliber carbines!!! The only problem I'll have will be deciding which one to use. This sounds like an excellent plan to me! What do you think, Richard?

I am in. Bring it!

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Hey, right on!

I’m not terrifically creative on stuff like this, and am absolutely open to suggestions. Here’s what I’m thinking - what is your take on this next flavor of match? Using some of the verbiage below to keep things open to include pistol-caliber lever-guns and the like, perhaps.

“PCC Stage a’la Boarding House” haha…everyone gets a first serving before anyone gets seconds! Smile

* What you’ll need:

2 B8 targets
Pistol caliber long gun of choice
If gun is box magazine-fed, two magazines
Six rounds

* Take 2 of the fabled B8 targets positioned one over the other placed at a distance of 20 yards.

* Start with two rounds in gun. Four more rounds of spare ammo / second magazine loaded with four rounds placed at position of shooter’s choice (bench, pouch, whatever works).

* Starting with gun at low-ready, fire 1 round each at the 2 B8s, order is up to the shooter.

* Reload gun with four rounds and fire 2 rounds at lower B8 and 2 rounds at upper B8.

* Reasonable “defensive pace” of fire throughout.

* Slings / sights / optics / etc. all at the discretion of the shooter.

What say the SF Postal Match collective? Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I love it! Shot standing, unsupported?

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Good point, didn’t think of that - how about standing and can use sling if desired?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Works for me! I'm excited...I get to go shoot leverguns this week...and maybe I'll put them up against my 9mm AR on the clock, just for fun Big Grin.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Love it!

Schedule-wise it may be 12/10 or so before I can get to the range on this one, but I’m looking forward to it!

posted Hide Post
Great timing on this one! Planned on shooting my MP5 today. Beatiful December day in the mountains.

Slung, low ready, 124 Precision Delta /WSF. Shot timer would not pick up. Shot at a quick pace, mag change as fast as I can go on a MP5.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Hot dog - love it!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ho, ho, ho, you have a machine gun! Cool

Good work, offgrid, with irons, no less! 58 1-X?

fs92tech, I had a thought. (Yes, it hurt)

Not many SF folks read this section, what do you think about posting an invitation in the Mason's Rifle Room or Sig Pistols, as appropriate.

I can see pros and cons.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
58 1-X. Yippee Ki Yay!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting offgrid, and I love that MP5! Very much a gun on my want list!

RichardC, I'm definitely ok with that, so long as Para is. I don't want to clutter up the board, but I agree...I think the more members we had involved, the more fun this would be, and I don't know how many people see it here.

My son and I got out and shot it this afternoon. We shot my 1894 in .45 Colt for score, and the CMMG RDB homebuilt AR just for fun, and as an experiment to see how much faster it would be.

As expected, reloads kill you on the levergun, but the wind also kept flipping the target backer around, so we kept having to wait on the target to present itself, and this impacted the times to the point where they're not really scientific. The AR also started having some ejection issues...I think the ejector spring may be broken. I need to tear the bolt apart tomorrow and find out. Supposedly this is a common issue with the CMMG RDB Bolts...I've read reports of them breaking around 1000 rounds, and mine has a few more through it than that, so if that's true I'm overdue. I just hope it takes regular AR ejector springs, because I have plenty of those. I've never had a problem with this gun or this load before, so I'm hoping it's something simple like that.

Well, here's my target: 60-3X in 29.12 Seconds.

And my AR run: 57-3X in 15.92 Seconds

And my Son's. Yeah, he beat dad. I'll never hear the end of it Big Grin: 60-4X in 41.06 Seconds

And his AR Run: 45 points in 11.83 Seconds

Thanks for another awesome course of fire, TheFrontRange! This one was fun, and eye opening. Obviously loading the levergun was an issue. I was loading it from a pocket...I think belt loops would have improved the time some, but there's no way you're going to beat a mag-fed rifle reloading through a gate. Overall, though, I felt like the levergun was easier to shoot accurately, quicker on target initially, and there's no doubt that a 250gr .45 Colt delivers more punch than a 135gr 9mm. The AR was so quiet, actually, that I had the same problem that offgrid did...there were a couple of practice runs where the timer didn't even pick it up and I had to hang it off my shirt to record the final one.

I think I have some work to do on the AR...get rid of the bulky vortex red dot and in favor of something smaller and lighter, and obviously fix the ejection issue. All that aside, though, it was a great afternoon on the range with my son, and as always, fun shooting "with" you guys!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Awesome, and really digging that we’ve seen from MP5 to levergun in this match so far!

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Timer broke. Sorry no times.
CMMG Banshee SBR with Omega 9K and Fiocchi 158gr fmj.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Nicely done all-around!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
^^ Nicely done all-around!

Yes, very nice! A C-More and a can, too.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
And Chowser takes the lead! Nice shooting, sir, and a sweet little SBR!!! What optic is that? I need to get something smaller and lighter for mine, and that certainly looks like it would fit the bill. Also, just out of curiosity, have you had any ejector issues with your gun? After the problems I had when shooting this Thursday, I knocked the pin out of mine yesterday to inspect the spring, and discovered that the spring was still intact (although compressed), but the ejector retaining pin had been battered almost in half by the ejector. It was a nightmare to get out. I replaced the pin and the spring with 5.56 parts, took it back out and shot it, and it's running fine again...for now. I emailed CMMG. We'll see if they have a more long-term solution.

FrontRange, it seems like the PCC idea was a winner Big Grin! I love seeing more folks in here, keep the targets coming guys!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
@92fstech thank YOU for starting this lovely thread to begin with!

We have some serious 2A flex going on up in here! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ok, here's my offhand entry with suppressed Ruger 77/44, PigPlex scope on 4X, 200gr HP Fiocchi .44 Specials.
I didn't use the sling because ... I forgot to use the sling. 60-5X, and surely the slowest time of the match.

Then, just for fun, I tried it with the 1894, 3X scope, Georgia-Arms 158gr plated .38 Specials and using the sling.

No timer, but with both rifles, I guarantee I maxed out with slowest reloading times.
The Ruger77/44 is the awkwardest, fumbliest to exchange magazines rifle I've ever shot, and the 1894 has butchershop sharp edges on the loading port and gate. I hate loading the Marlin.
If zombies were charging, I'd have fired 2 shots, dropped the rifle(s) and fled.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Oh heck yeah! You guys and these suppressors rock!