SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Shot with my Remington 03A3:

Nice job. My crappy vision doesn't mix with iron sights. With me at the trigger and without optics, the broad side of barn would be safe.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I've been really impressed with the accuracy you can wring out of that AR9 in a wide variety of applications!

Thanks. I'm quite pleased with the AR9. Received a few eye rolls when I bought it -- not the right brand name for a 9mm carbine, never been used against terrorists by guys wearing black balaclavas, the blowback action will recoil like a mofo, over priced boutique manufacturer. Bummer -- guess I'll just have to keep shooting it.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Sunday, June 26th,

The plan was to get out an old iron sighted smallbore rifle, old leather jacket/sling, mitt, shooting mat, spotting scope, etc. and shoot from three positions, like in the good old days. My son was on the club's junior smallbore team when he was in school, and I got back into smallbore as well. We were both part of the Florida contingent for a couple summers to Camp Perry back in the day.

After sighting in on a Caldwell rest on the bench, I ran afoul of the range officer.
' Shooting ONLY from the bench at less than 100 yards.'
This isn't in our club's by laws or range guidelines.

Here's images of my old Remington MatchMaster and my last sighter (CCI Standard velocity), with 6 shots.

I still hope to shoot an actual 5 shot postal match from 3 position, but if it doesn't work out, add the five worst shots and one penalty point for the extra shot = 44/50, no X's.
I'm going to attend next month's general membership meeting. I have questions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back the Wilson 300blk upper. It turns out the NF NX8 battery was almost dead. Back home, I could see just a touch of reticle illumination at night. Definitely not enough to see during the day. Installed a new battery and the illumination just went super bright. Like off the scale. Regardless of what I tried, the reticle was always lit a minimum of around 5 on the 10 scale. No off position. And at the 9 or 10 position, the red was almost a retinal burn. Something's wrong with the controls, and I need to contact Nightforce.

Tried the blackout again on Sunday. I know this rifle shoots -- on steel it can be sub-MOA out to 300-400 yards with the ADI 125 SMK load. But the reticle also works well against a solid white target. I'm bull headed and I'm not giving up.

With the reticle lit and blooming, at 1x the red was larger then the black of the A23 target. I had to hold the red dot to the side of the A23 black, move to where I thought it covered the center of the black, then fire. Results weren't good. A few 8s, more 7s, some 6 rings. On to plan B.

At 8x with a lit reticle, I shot better -- 3 barely touching the X ring, 1 in the 10 ring, 1 in the 9.

At 8x with an unlit reticle:
- 3 hits barely touching the X ring, 2 in the 9 ring.
- 1 X ring, 3 in the 10 ring, 1 that might be either a 9 or 10.
The problem is the NX8's reticle is a segmented circle that's visually about the same size at the A23 black -- 3.89" in diameter.

I had a few B3 timed/rapid fire 50 foot targets, with the black portion being 3.06" in diameter. This was a little better, although I suspect a black dot of around 2.5" to 2.75" would be just about right. At 8x with no illumination -- 2 in the X ring (.90") and 3 in the 10 ring (1.80" diameter). Hold my beer, let's try this at 1x and no illumination.

Oh crap, that B3 black is really small and it's really hard to place it in the center of the reticle. Lots and lots and lots of time between shots. The shot at 2 o'clock kinda/sorta-ish touches the 1.8" diameter 10 ring.

And the blackout upper. I really don't want to send the scope back to Nightforce. Maybe they can talk me through an illumination fix over the phone.

This was an interesting test of the red dot on 2 quite different short-range optics. In this case, the much cheaper Vortex performed better.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Here's images of my old Remington MatchMaster and my last sighter (CCI Standard velocity), with 6 shots.

I like it. Nice shooting.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
After sighting in on a Caldwell rest on the bench, I ran afoul of the range officer.
' Shooting ONLY from the bench at less than 100 yards.'
This isn't in our club's by laws or range guidelines.

Well, that just smacks of range Nazism. I get that some people will do stupid stuff, but when you've got a guy showing up with a properly set up target rifle and all the accoutrements, you'd think common sense would prevail. The spray and pray demographic are not the sort to show up with a rimfire bolt-action target rifle and a shooting jacket. Sorry you had to deal with that Richard, but I hope you can get some things clarified at your meeting and common sense prevails. That's some fantastic shooting you did there...looking forward to seeing your three-position target!

Nice shooting again, Fritz. Sorry to hear about your scope woes, but hopefully they can figure it out for you. Looks like you got some pretty impressive results in spite of the troubles!

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
92fstech, These RO's are (nearly) volunteers; They may be working as RO's in lieu of paying the yearly club membership fee, I appreciate their efforts and I certainly don 't want to rock the boat. We lost about half the volunteer RO's during the two year Dempanic.

Part of what they are tasked with :

"In order to properly manage shooters during a HOT range, the RSO will not sit down while
the red light is flashing and will walk the line to monitor the activities of all shooters and
spectators. Specifically, the RSO will continuously monitor the following:
 Continuously verify that all persons near the firing line are wearing proper eye and ear
protection.
 Be vigilant to ensure that all muzzles are always pointed in a safe direction.
 Ensure shooters keep their fingers outside of the trigger guard until their sights are
coming onto the target.
Continuously verify that ALL fired bullets directly impact the berm. "

The berm is directly behind the 100 yard line. About a mile farther is a public boat launch park/fish camp/restaurant.

It is critical to public safety and survival of the club that projectiles not be launched over the berm or skipped off the ground and bounced over it.

There are bullet skid marks on the grass from less careful shooters.

I just think that properly mounted targets on properly dimensioned frames could once again be used safely at 50 Yd/M and 100 Yd/M for position shooting, with training and understanding by RO's and shooters.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The berm is directly behind the 100 yard line. About a mile farther is a public boat launch park/fish camp/restaurant.

It is critical to public safety and survival of the club that projectiles not be launched over the berm or skipped off the ground and bounced over it.

There are bullet skid marks on the grass from less careful shooters.

I just think that properly mounted targets on properly dimensioned frames could once again be used safely at 50 Yd/M and 100 Yd/M for position shooting, with training and understanding by RO's and shooters.

Yep, we've got a highway and a local community college behind our berm. The range was there bafore either of those things, but that doesn't change the fact that they're there now and we are responsible to make sure that all of our rounds stay confined to our range. Like you, I've seen people send rounds into the ground short of the target, and occasionally find targets left posted to the boards that look like shotgun patterns but correspond to piles of .223 brass at 25 yards or in. On the other hand, we have a number of bullseye and high power shooters who I'm embarrased to let see my targets.

We don't have RSOs except for organized events, so each member is reponsible to police themselves and their guests. There is a pretty significant vetting process to become a member, but even with that in place I've seen some things that shouldn't happen. I like that we're free to do practical, usueful stuff at our club within reasonable safety guidelines, but hope that some irresponsible idiot doesn't ruin it for everybody at some point.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in full weed control season at our ranch, and thus shooting has taken a back seat. Probably will for another week or two. I suggest that 92fstech presents the next challenge.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ok, let's give this a go.

Target: Old reliable NRA B8
Weapon: Center-fire handgun of your choice
Sighting system: Your choice

Starting on the 5 yard line, draw and fire one round into the B8. You have 3 seconds. If the round impacts outside the black, or you go over time, you're done. If you get it in the black and under time, step back (or advance the target forward) one yard and do it again from the 6 yard line. Repeat until you go over time, or miss.

Every 5 yards that you successfully complete, you get a time bonus. So if you make it to 10 yards, you now get 4 seconds to make your shots. At 15 yards the engagement time increases to 5 seconds, 20 yards, 6 seconds, and so on. The distance of your last successful shot is your score, let's see who can make it the farthest.

If your range doesn't allow drawing from the holster, do it from the low ready, just reduce your allowed engagement time by one second. So you have 2 seconds per shot between 5-10 yards, 3 seconds between 10-15 yards, and so on.

A single mistake has huge consequences on this one, so let's say we each shoot it three times and your official score is the best of the three.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, here's our best efforts for this one. I was a little dissappointed in my performance, but it is what it is.

I made it through 15 yards and threw a round at the 16. My duty gun...P320 RX Full-Size.

And Noah of course wanted the 1911. He made it through 8 yards, dumped one at 9.

I did get to play with the 1911 after he was done...figured it was already dirty, might as well shoot it some more. I'd forgotten how satisfying that thing is to shoot! The positive click of disengaging the safety, the nice broad EGW lever to rest your thumb on, and the smooth consistent break of the trigger...just a joy to operate. I've clearly gotta put in more time on the work stuff, but it's nice to play some every now and then too.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice, fs92tech and Noah.

I shot it Saturday with the Pardini GT-45. As usual, it tried to disassemble itself every few shots.

First target the best, 14yds, second the worst at 6 yards (third shot must have landed in the Gulf Stream), third target 9 yrds.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, Richard! Personally, I found this one to be tougher than I thought it would be. I'm not sure if it's the changing distance evry shot, or the time pressure, or "match jitters", but it ended up being more challenging that I'd anticipated.

quote:
I shot it Saturday with the Pardini GT-45. As usual, it tried to disassemble itself every few shots.

This sounds annoying, but interesting...care to share what's going on there? I've never handled a Pardini, but I'm curious about what in the design is causing that to happen.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The ambidextrous safety levers are connected through and through with a slotted screw head on each side.

The screw/ferrule shaft is tiny and delicate, and is part of the firing mechanism.

I've tried Loctite and Rocksett but they don't hold.

This gun has been back to the Pardini authorized repair service. They essentially said it would be more cost effective to replace it than try to repair again.

Ironically, it IS my replacement GT-45. I still have the first lemon.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well that's a huge bummer. Screws in gun designs create some pretty significant challenges, especially small ones. I imagine staking it is not an option?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure (technically) what that would entail.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I'm not sure (technically) what that would entail.

Yeah, not even sure it's a possibility. Definitely not something I would try myself on a tiny delicate screw like you describe. But maybe a gunsmith could do something for you.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We are headed out on vacation tomorrow, so I won't be able to shoot and will be offline for the next couple of weeks. Richard, your pick this time around!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK.

Have a great vacation!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Let's see if we can land 8 of ten rounds on the adversary, Indiana Mall style.

At 35 yards, post two 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheets, any color, one atop the other for a target 8 /12" wide and 22" tall.

If allowed, draw from under cover garment your concealable fighting pistol, fire ten shots at the target. Cadence of one shot per 3 seconds. (Start from low ready if range rules require.) Use of a vertical post/pillar for support is encouraged.

If your range restrictions allow you to advance after firing the first shot, have at it!

Reload efficiently if your capacity <10.

Just for fun and education, repeat ten shots at a fresh target with any sight PCC, starting from muzzle straight down at your side in one hand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,