SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
For bulls 9 & 10, what is a 'Speed Reload'?

It's only #10 & he calls it an "emergency reload."

I'm guessing he means shoot, drop the (empty) mag, insert another, drop the slide, and begin firing again as quickly as possible?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
In the 25 round modified instructions (in the pdf), you're only doing a reload on bull #10. The target is designed for a 50rd course of fire, so disregard the instructions on the target itself...go with the 25 round course of fire laid out in the pdf.

As to the reload, start with one round in the gun and an empty mag inserted. Have another mag handy, either in a pouch or pocket or however you'd carry it. Fire your first round into #10, dump the mag, insert a new one, and fire 2 more rounds into #10. If you're shooting a revolver, same deal except use a speedloaders or speed strip to conduct the reload. Since this isn't timed, the speed of your reload isn't really the important part, it's the manipulation of the gun and getting it back on target...although there's definitely training value in doing it clean and quick!

Sorry for the confusion...I edited the original post to hopefully clarify!

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Nice! I should be able to be back in on the fun for this one!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, in today's edition of "everything was going great until it wasn't", here's my target. I've been doing some tuning on my Springfield Loaded Stainless, so I used the match as an opportunity to do some live-fire testing...kind of killing 2 birds with one stone. The gun ran great, I just wish my shooting abilities were as dependable.

I dropped one off of #6 (clearly a flinch...not sure where that came from all of a sudden), dumped one off the paper on the #8 right-hand only, and missed another on #9 left-hand only. Consistent with my performance in the other one-hand-only match, my one-handed shooting clearly needs work. I show a final score of 22/25.

Excuses: I put about 50 rounds of .44 Magnum through my 2.75" Model 69 with wooden boot grips on it just prior to shooting this, so my hand hurt Big Grin!

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That target is nothing to sneeze at! Good shooting.

Have you tried holding a bag of frozen peas after shooting your Model 69?

Posts: 15895 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you tried holding a bag of frozen peas after shooting your Model 69?

Lol, no, but I did use them post op on another thing, and they were effective in that capacity, so that may not be a bad idea Razz!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Darn nice shooting!

Hoping to take a crack at this challenge this coming weekend.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Cool! Looking forward to seeing your target!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Well, this round’s personal dose of “SIGforum Postal Match Humble Pie” (only my latest, as my previous results speak for themselves) brought to you by TheFrontRange haha! Smile

I admit it: I suck at this. That said, no less authority than Clint Smith, IIRC, says “Practice what you suck at,” so, I will be running this lovely little Dot Torture exercise until I can run it like a pro, or at least like someone performing a reasonable facsimile thereof haha!

Target shown, with overlapping shots, missed shots, and one or two actually where they are supposed to be on the paper.

Let me tell you folks something: If I ever win one of these matches and get to pick the next contest, get ready for something along the lines of a giant square of paper, three yards, just blaze away, anything you want from water gun to howitzer!

I kid, I kid - despite my good-natured whining, these matches are fun and, truly, I’m gonna keep working this one on my own time.

Hole-punching this session via a Les Baer UTC in .45 ACP. Leather was the Bruce Nelson Summer Special IWB and Milt Sparks S4C that I was already wearing today anyway. I failed to take a picture of the target and gun at once, so a glamor shot of the gun is offered here separately.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice work, and good on you for sticking it out! I'm right there with ya... especially on the one-handed stuff...I need more practice, and I'll definitely be puting some in! I love that Baer, too...it's a beauty!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I practiced yesterday and they let me draw from holster because range was almost empty and they put me on the right end lane so I was secret squirreling.
Today, the range was crowded, different staff RO's, and I didn't qualify as active LEO, Military Police, NCIS, Eff BEE Eye, CSI Miami EEEEEYOOOOOOOOOW! Cool or anything else *.gov, so started from ready where indicated.
Pistol was my old first generation CZ TS in 9MM.

If I scored it properly I am down 3. The edge shot on bull # 1 completely cuts the line, the one on bull # 5 does not. If we're using strict inside scoring, I am down 7. Roll Eyes
I used to shoot better one-handed. I blame Covid-19 and coronal sun flares. Big Grin

Posts: 15895 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Cutting the line definitely counts as a hit...every match I've ever shot counts those, and I'm not Tom Givens, so I don't feel too bad not holding myself to his personal standards Big Grin. Nice shooting! Sweet handgun, too!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
And is it over now?

Pick up the pieces and go home?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It is Tuesday, isn't it? Man that went fast! We tied on that last one...why don't you go ahead and tell us what we're shooting this go-around? Big Grin

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Do we want something traditional or something off the wall?

Handguns only or .22 rifle at 50 feet or less OK?

Trying to keep feasible for all.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Oooh...something with .22 rifle sounds fun. We haven't done that yet. I can do pretty much anything within reason at my range, so I'm open to whatever course of fire you propose (I might whine a bit if it's hard, though Razz)!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've been refining a fun scenario .22 rifle match to offer for a couple weeks, but you gave me too much time to think this morning. Big Grin .

I found this seasonally appropriate target:

https://www.targets.ws/shootin...rkey-head-target.pdf

So, you're in your turkey blind, 90 miles from home, and you brought 20G shells for your 12 gauge shotgun.
An incredibly dumb (even dumber than a 20G shells for 12G human) fat turkey is 20 feet away, so you pull your .22 kit gun (revolver or pistol) and get off six shots.

Scoring is :
Any hole cutting the circle is ten points.
Any hole in neck or head above the horizontal line (at least half in) counts only 2 points because you'll have to chase him into the bushes.
Beak excluded.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! I'm excited about this one...and it gives me a chance to work out my Model 63 Big Grin.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Love it - planning to work this in next session!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Well, only 18 points, I believe, with one outright miss and just one on the target-hole, but this was darn fun. Implement of choice for this mission was the 1947-era S&W K-22 shown. As is often my experience, the gun is capable of much better than this - any fault is on the operator haha!