SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
For my least-used centerfire handgun, I selected this five-inch barreled Smith and Wesson Model 27-2. Chambered for .357 Magnum, I opted for the Georgia Arms .38 Special loads shown.

After taking a few practice cycles, pictured is my target “for the record.” I won’t be winning any trophies with this performance, but I was happy to at least keep all five double-action rounds in the black...or, in the dark blue in this case. Smile

Last of the three pics shows the gun posed with a little Barranti Leather goodness, their Triple Deuce 2x2x2 ammo pouch.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good shootin', and nice to see that beautiful old Smith getting some trigger time!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Arminius Model HW3 .32 S&W Long Saturday Night Special, purchased by my parent's friends in 1974, and willed to them sometime later along with their cat, "Bitsy".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminius_(revolvers)

Had only 8 cartridges left ... hmmmm... OK, two sighters and one saved in case there's a dud when shooting the match.

First tried 6 O'Clock hold on the x and the shot went into the top of the nine ring. Second, held 6 at bottom of black bull and it went centered. Good enough.

Here's the match target:

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well that is truly an obscure piece, with an interesting backstory, and some beautiful shooting for a gun like that! I love those nice clean wadcutter holes, too. Well done!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 92fstech. I am still admiring your hammer-bite wounds. I might be able to give you a run for the money with a classic Hi Power but haven't got the guts to try. Big Grin

TheFrontRange, I've gone through tens of thousands of rounds from Georgia Arms. They make good stuff, on par with any big name manufacturer, in my opinion.

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
@RichardC - I so agree. I’m a relatively new customer of theirs - they sell good stuff and they ship fast!

Good shooting, all - looking forward to the next “postal match” challenge!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
92fstech, ready for another one?!

You guys shooting at an indoor range guessing can stop the target at 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25yds? Or close enough to those distances?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
92fstech, ready for another one?!

You bet!

Looking at the submissions from the past two weeks, Sigfruend had the best score, but by his own admission did it on a non-sanctioned target, so I can't award him the win. Still, it was some fantastic shooting, so well done, sir!

Although RichardC was one X behind my score on the official target, I'd suggest that his shooting was more impressive since it was done with a Saturday Night Special, and was more in-line with the spirit of this week's theme than my 1911. As such, I feel that the honor of picking the next match target and parameters should go to RichardC! So Richard, please let us know what we're shooting next!

Thanks to all of you for keeping this going, I'm having fun! And if anybody else out there is watching this, feel free to jump in. There's no requirement that you have to have started from the beginning, or even shoot every match. The more the merrier!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
offgrid, at our range we can input 21 feet to the control box. Ask your range operators for help, maybe you can too.

92fstech, jeez, the pressure. I can feel it. I can feel it. There is no question about it.
Give me a day or two to cogitate. Smile

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Offgrid, if your indoor target system can't be programmed to stop at the exact distance, close enough is good enough. I used the roller wheel measurer thingy that they gave me to measure distance at car crashes. It was on gravel, so it's probably not perfect, either. This ain't the Olympics Big Grin!

posted Hide Post
RichardC and 92fstech, asked about the stopping distances at indoor ranges for a couple match ideas based on drills I do. Wanted to make sure your ranges had those stops. Haven't shot pistol at indoor range in several years.

I step off yardages at my outdoor range with a close enough stride!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
How about a gadget-boy match?

Same target, but move it back to 30 feet.

Any handgun, any caliber, from any time period but with as many fancy-pants features from the factory and add-ons as possible.

Grips, night sights, RDS's lasers, magazine well flares, white lights, suppressors, bayonets, Popeil Pocket Fisherman, etc.

Not necessarily the way you normally use the thing, but let your imagination run wild.

Shooting Theater of the Absurdly Excessive. Big Grin

If that's too wild, then same target, thirty feet, any centerfire handgun, one handed only with your "weak" hand.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wow, RichardC, you read my mind. Those are precisely the two I would have pitched Smile

Re: Target distance: If you want to be really sure, a Bosch GLM 20 Laser Measure (±$40 just about anywhere) will do the trick. (Though it might be tricky in bright sunlight.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Lol, sounds fun. Most of my stuff is factory, or pretty close. I don't really have anything that is truly outrageous, but I can probably put something together to at least attempt this. I'll give it a try! Big Grin

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I hope I don't get thrown out of the range for what I am envisioning.
Razz
We just paid our yearly family dues.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The most "outrageous" handguns I own are my P210A and my P229 Sport. Maybe my Kimber Rimfire Target? The next most "outrageous" would be, I guess, my G34 and my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Everything's stock, save the grips on the Blackhawk. No optics on anything.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK, got-er done.
Here's the FNX-45 Tactical as envisioned with Popeil Pocket Fisherman, As Seen On TV®:

But, I guessed the range officers would point out that I'd be a bad role model for all the new shooters, so I mounted a TLR-8A borrowed from another pistol, and shot the match at 30 feet after a few practice targets.
I had to hold on the 5 O'Clock edge of the black bull to hit center. Trijicon SRO, Silencerco OctaneK, Streamlight TLR-8A and Georgia Arms 185gr round nose .45 ACP loads.

I'll have to add that shooting centerfire pistols with a suppressor is a nasty blow-back in the face misery. I had to stop and clean the SRO lens every 5 or 10 shots.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Nicely done!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Indeed, very nicely done! I was out camping all weekend, but if I can get all my cleanup chores done before work tomorrow, I'm going to try and sneak out to the range and shoot this!

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think I'm gonna take a pass on this one. This week I want to finish breaking-in my EMP and Rimfire Target. Maybe next match Smile