SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Lol! Nice shooting, and sweet rifle! I've had similar issues with my timer sometimes not picking up small calibers, even unsupressed. I've clipped it to my hat brim before just to get it closer to the muzzle.

I'm finally headed back north tomorrow for a chance to freeze my balls and look really bad shooting at a 3x5 card! Big Grin

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Todays session was a lesson in adversity, perseverence and HUMILITY.

Computer target controls messed up, the range officer had to physically hit the box, fish .45ACP shells out of the track and restart the program 3x.
Rifle/magazine tore up my first 3 of 20 frangible rounds I had saved up. The magazine is no longer part of our household.

I shot the match with the SpikesCrusader/Trij MRO

and then for fun, the older Colt 20" with C-More. Dropped two in the match with the Crusader, topped that with 3 dropped with the Colt. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good shooting, Richard. Sorry the range equipment was giving you fits. We drove all day today and just got home a couple of hours ago. There's 3" of snow on the ground here. I'm hoping to get out and shoot this tomorrow...I have a feeling it's gonna be a tough one!

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
fritz, what kind of reticle is in your Vortex?

Doesn't everyone just love the weekends after election day?

All those free target backers with included wire stands. Smile

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
fritz, what kind of reticle is in your Vortex?

All those free target backers with included wire stands. Smile

The scope is an older Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. Got it at a reasonable price, probably Black Friday sale. I believe the reticle is Viper PST TMCQ -- MOA based. Small red dot in the center, traditional crosshairs vertical & horizontal with subtensions, circle at 10 MOA or so. Decent scope for its use. Glass is pretty bright & clear. Elevation adjustments seem to be spot on, both turrets and reticle. Shot the PCC accurately out to 200 yards. Zeroed at 35 yards, lots of elevation to get to 200 yards --- IIRC about 14 MOA.

Coroplast political ad signs make great target backers. I have a rather healthy supply. I suspect when some see me collecting signs, they think "What a great public service he's doing, cleaning up the clutter in our neighborhood. But why is he grabbing only some of the signs?"

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RichardC,

which shot timer app? Work OK?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Dry Fire Par Timer v. 2.11 from GooglePlay.

I used it only to give me a start beep after 4.5 second delay and par time beep of 2.5 seconds.

Phone cabled to my earmuffs.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My son and I got out and shot it today. It was a lovely 24 degrees, with a few inches of snow on the ground…pretty sharp contrast from hot and muggy AL the day before!

Full disclosure…I screwed up. We tried shooting my son’s new Enfield for the first time before we attempted the match, and it didn’t go so well. Nothing horrible, and I’ll share the details in the SMLE thread when I get a moment, but my mind was preoccupied with that situation when I was setting up for the match, and I forgot the 20 yard-line.

I shot first, and when I got done, I realized I still had a round left, so I shot the 15 again thinking maybe I’d forgotten that one. After I finished, I re-read the instructions and realized what I’d done. So I shot it again all the way through from the right distances, but at that point, it wasn’t cold, so I had an unfair advantage and I need to DQ myself.

My 13 year-old son shot it after me and from the proper distances the first time though. He did quite well….proud dad moment right here!

We used my work rifle…Sig M400 16” barrel with a Romeo 5. I’m not sold on the Romeo yet (although I’ll admit it has yet to give me any problems), but I absolutely love this rifle. It handles really well, and it has the best factory AR trigger I’ve ever shot. There are a few little things I’d change if I owned it, but overall a very solid offering from Sig.

Times and targets, shot from the high-ready…cheek weld established, aimed a couple of feet below the target, safety off. Also, the bigger hole at the top right in each of our cards isn’t a bullet hole…we’re a homeschool family, and naturally the only 3x5 cards my wife could find for us were homemade flash cards that she’d already hole-punched for a binder ring Big Grin.

Mine (Second time through, from the proper distances…not in contention to win):

Son’s:

He broke that last shot at 25 really fast…I figured he missed, but we walked up to the backstop and sure enough, 7 holes! He was pissed that I beat him by .03, but I gotta give it to him because he shot it cold!

Fun stage, offgrid, and I appreciate the chance to work out the AR a bit. We just got them this past year, and with the ammo situation being what it is, I haven’t gotten to shoot it as much as I’d like. This was a good drill, and a good excuse to break it out of the rack.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Times and targets, shot from the high-ready…cheek weld established, aimed a couple of feet below the target,

Nice shooting, great splits.

I started with the rifle sorta shouldered -- bottom point of buttstock in shoulder pocket,
no cheek weld,
rifle pointed maybe 2-3 feet-ish below the base of the target -- enough to keep the rifle below the target,
looking at target -- I ignored the optic until I brought the gun up to eye level.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice cards, youse guys!

92fstech, my son used to outshoot me most times when he was on the juniors smallbore team.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

posted Hide Post
92fstech, nice shooting from you and your son!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Times and targets, shot from the high-ready…cheek weld established, aimed a couple of feet below the target,

Nice shooting, great splits.

I started with the rifle sorta shouldered -- bottom point of buttstock in shoulder pocket,
no cheek weld,
rifle pointed maybe 2-3 feet-ish below the base of the target -- enough to keep the rifle below the target,
looking at target -- I ignored the optic until I brought the gun up to eye level.

Started same as you. My bad for not being clearer on the start position! Should have included a visual aid Big Grin

I haven't shot in a indoor range in several years, don't know what's allowed. If we do another one similar to this match, can you guys shooting in indoor range start from this position? Lot more opportunity to mess up and not make the time!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
offgrid, the indoor rangemasters quiver if they see muzzles pointed at the ceiling.

Rain comes through the bullet holes.

But please don't restrict your match protocol ideas ; the indoor guys can adapt and take a time penalty or something.

I have a related question: Do the dedicated shot timer gadgets work when other people are shooting right next to you?

I've only seen them used with isolated shooters, as at IDPA, Steel Challenge, indoor tactical/practical matches, etc.

posted Hide Post
The dedicated shot timers will pick up your neighbors shots.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Lovin’ y’all’s work on this stage!

I may have to miss-out on this round, other priorities have cropped-up. Following to try to catch the next one!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I guess I've always understood the position you're describing as "low-ready", which I'd consider muzzle depressed toward the ground, stock shouldered, safety on, no sight picture established. The only other time I'd ever even heard "high-ready", it was with handguns, and they actually started aimed in on the target...you had clarified muzzle below the target, though, so I split the difference. Minor variance, but it can make a big difference to the outcome when you're talking tenths or hundredth of a second!

quote:
can you guys shooting in indoor range start from this position?

That's actually one thing we are NOT allowed to do. No elevated muzzles above the backstop on the line. They really don't want rounds leaving the range, especially in that direction, as there's a busy US Highway, a community college, and a number of businesses over there. The range was here before any of that (including the highway), so while I could give a crap about their noise complaints, I can appreciate their right to not have rounds coming through their walls. We're responsible to ensure all rounds remain on-property....all it takes is one moron with an itchy trigger finger to screw it up for everybody. It's pretty much the only legal reasons our state law would allow for them to shut us down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
fritz and I shoot lots of matches. Right or wrong, most of the match directors consider this high ready, muzzle a little higher. This was my intention for the start position. Once again my bad for not making it clear. No one was shooting back at us, it's all good!

I mostly practice from the other start position I posted, "muzzle up." It's a little slower yet then the guy in red. Didn't know muzzle up was the prefered position for Navy Seals. Thanks for the video RichardC.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
No worries! The only reason I thought to clarify what we did was that after I shot it, it occurred to me that starting position could have some significant impact on times, and I wanted to be sure we were doing it right. I guess I could go shoot it again before Tuesday...and it would definitely count as "Cold" since it's 14 degrees out there with wind chill of -4!!! Big Grin Eek!

posted Hide Post
Good as any other reason to go shoot with your son again, go for it! Keep track of your rounds/distances this time Big Grin