SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice, I like it!! Looking forward to shooting this one when I get back to town. I've done something similar with a handgun before...it's a good drill. The time pressure is going to make it tough as we get further out. Don't forget about sight offset up close!

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
To be sure I'm doing it right:

Each distance is like a separate stage, seven times?

Two & one-half seconds from high ready to shot on target,
move back to the next distance from target (or move target forward) at leisure,
then again, 2.5 seconds from high ready? (Unless exceeded time or missed).

If the RO won't let me do this at our outdoor range, there is an indoor >25 yard rifle range
just an hour away.

Alternatively, if I have to do it at our indoor 50ft range, they'd require frangible ( I still have some) .223/5.56, and I could post a 2.5" x 4.2" card at 50ft for stage 6
and a 2.0"x3.35" card at 50 ft for stage 7.

92fstech, we could ask fritz or sigfreund to check my math. Big Grin

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
To be sure I'm doing it right:

Each distance is like a separate stage, seven times?

Two & one-half seconds from high ready to shot on target,
move back to the next distance from target (or move target forward) at leisure,
then again, 2.5 seconds from high ready? (Unless exceeded time or missed).

Firing a max of 7rds total for the match. Hit and make time move to next distance. Miss target or time stay at that distance use another of your 7 rounds. Stop when you have fired 7rds, hopefully after a hit under time on the 25yd target!

Yes, 2.5 seconds from high ready muzzle pointed below target, sights not on target. Re-shoot or move to next distance at leisure.

Hope that make sense. A friend/instructor showed me this shooting pistols a few years ago, I might of said "what are we doing?" a few times!

Good point on hold over 92fstech. My red dot offset is 2 1/4" at 3yds, 1 1/4" at 25yds. To hit anywhere on the target, I'll hold the red dot towards the top of the 5" tall target for all distance. If I try to finely adjust the hold for a perfectly centered shot, good chance I'll run out of time. Balance between needed accuracy and time.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
A belated congrats @offgrid and this latest stage sounds like fun! I’m gonna try to participate in this one if I can get back to range soon enough.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the RO won't let me do this at our outdoor range, there is an indoor >25 yard rifle range
just an hour away.

Alternatively, if I have to do it at our indoor 50ft range, they'd require frangible ( I still have some) .223/5.56, and I could post a 2.5" x 4.2" card at 50ft for stage 6
and a 2.0"x3.35" card at 50 ft for stage 7.

92fstech, we could ask fritz or sigfreund to check my math.

I'll take your word for it on the math Big Grin! Honestly, I can't imagine why an RO would object, because even though this is timed, there's no rapid fire per-se, or drawing from a holster...it's just one round at a time from the shoulder.

I know offgrid said ARs...but he did say any caliber and any sighting system...so if .223 is a problem at your range, you could shoot it with a PCC. Even if you don't have an AR in a pistol caliber and have to use your levergun instead of an AR, I'd say it still adheres to the spirit of the challenge, and there's no real disadvantage to it not being semi-auto since it's only a single shot per stage.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

I know offgrid said ARs...but he did say any caliber and any sighting system...so if .223 is a problem at your range, you could shoot it with a PCC. Even if you don't have an AR in a pistol caliber and have to use your levergun instead of an AR, I'd say it still adheres to the spirit of the challenge, and there's no real disadvantage to it not being semi-auto since it's only a single shot per stage.

Yep, bring what you got!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
just an hour away.

I'll take your word for it on the math Big Grin! Honestly, I can't imagine why an RO would object, because even though this is timed, there's no rapid fire per-se, or drawing from a holster...it's just one round at a time from the shoulder.

In the meantime, I've checked our outdoor club's range rules. The bays in which high powered rifles are permissable do not allow targets closer than 25 yards.

I'd really like to use the .223, so its either a road trip out of town or reduced size cards at our indoor range.

I wouldn't mind the road trip but they have a really nice retail gun $tore.

Evil architects designed the building so you have to traverse aisles of ammo, scopes, firearms, apparel and other temptations to approach the range sign in desk.

And while waiting to be called for your turn, the chairs and couch are facing the retail section just a few yards away.

And I am weak ... Roll Eyes

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ LOL my indoor range also has the 25-yard-rule on the rifle “side” of their operation (thus, I’ll likely have to go the PCC route on the handgun side) AND they’ve cleverly positioned merchandise for perusal on the way in and out of the range…hence my recent S&W Model 66 pick-up documented elsewhere on these pages haha… Big Grin

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they will get ya with those displays! It's a good thing my club is basically a souped up gravel pit, with no store...otherwise I'd be even poorer than I am now Big Grin! The real advantage, though, is they let us do pretty much whatever we want, provided it's done in a safe and responsible manner, and not done in full-auto or .50 BMG.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
just an hour away.

In the meantime, I've checked our outdoor club's range rules. The bays in which high powered rifles are permissable do not allow targets closer than 25 yards.

I'd really like to use the .223, so its either a road trip out of town or reduced size cards at our indoor range.

I wouldn't mind the road trip but they have a really nice retail gun $tore.

Evil architects designed the building so you have to traverse aisles of ammo, scopes, firearms, apparel and other temptations to approach the range sign in desk.

And while waiting to be called for your turn, the chairs and couch are facing the retail section just a few yards away.

And I am weak ... Roll Eyes

If this is too much of a hassle for you, we'll doing something else. No worries!! Do something similar with pistols, hit to move on, same 3x5 target .... Keep you from being tempted by the aisle of fun stuff$!

A Christmas present to myself showed up today, Safariland ALS holster Big Grin Went to the range today, just had to mess with it, live fire from it. I did shoot the match, would have shot my AR regardless! After those 7rds, shot another 100 or so. I usually shoot once or twice a week if weather permits. I'll be back at the range or at a friends property next Monday or Tuesday.

posted Hide Post
One of the bays at my local range. Note the high tech yardage markers!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Note the high tech yardage markers!

You won't hear any scoffing from me...I usually just kick a line in the dirt/leaves/snow... whatever's on the ground at the time, season dependent Big Grin!

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Looking good! A 3rd of our staff got hit with covid so no time to get to the range between working all these doubles.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

If this is too much of a hassle for you, we'll doing something else. No worries!! .

Its not!

(I just enjoy whining)

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

If this is too much of a hassle for you, we'll doing something else. No worries!! .

Its not!

(I just enjoy whining)

Big Grin

Had this shot timer for a few years.

https://www.luckygunner.com/co...tal-range-timer-gray

Timers are fun!

Oh, for the tie-breaker. Time on the last shot hit under time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: offgrid,

posted Hide Post
Shot it with the 11.5" SBR. Last shot 1.18 sec, not bad for 29 degrees and bundled up like Ralphie's little brother in Christams Story!
"Blaster" handloads Hornady 62FMJ/XBR.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting! And 1.8 seconds is impressive at 25 yards!!!

I'm kinda jealous...I'm itching to get home and shoot this one, but I'm stuck in a condo with the in-laws in Gulf Shores, AL this week. Apparently we got 4 inches of slushy snow back home yesterday...I'd still rather be there shooting!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice work, offgrid.

Got the cards cut and labeled, bag packed, rifle lubed, frangible ammo counted, shot timer app on smartphone and wire connector to headphones.

Oh, yeah. Range here is closed today, RichardC.
You forgot, its New Year's Day, ya more-on!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well that's a bummer! What's with this "closed" business? Don't they realize that there's no better way to usher in the new year than with smoke, lead, and noise? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Offgrid texted me about his version of the match. Essentially a double dog dare to enter. Had to find my timer -- the same type offgrid noted above. Of course it had a dead battery, and I forgot how to use it. Should have looked at youtube for a demo on the timer, as the instruction manual is...well...less than optimal.

I cut trees with a chainsaw all day. At 3 o'clock, tired and sore, snowstorm approaching, figured I better get to shooting. Of course, I struggled with the timer. Finally figured out a 2-4 second random delay, however the unit wasn't registering my suppressed 9mm rounds. I then figured out how to increase the sensitivity, and set it to maximum. OK, game on.

Wilson Combat 9mm AR-9G, Glock pattern, SBR 8" barrel, Vortex 1-4x set at just under 2x, cheap American Eagle 115 grain.

The target, up close, hits on all 7 targets.

Back at home, the type of uber-custom target backer I use while shooting in one of our creekbeds:

My split times from 3 to 25 yards were
.96 seconds
Which means offgrid's 1.18 seconds on the last target beats my 1.47 seconds.

I considered trying again, or at least working on my speed at 25 yards. But I had removed my chainsaw chaps and my cutting hardhat. With less clothing, with increasing wind, and with snow beginning to fall -- time to go. Stealing from Matt Damon in The Martian -- I'd love so solve this problem right now, however my balls are frozen.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post