SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well this could have gone better. An old Ruger Single 6 .22lr -- my first firearm, from many moons ago.

1st try and for score -- pair of aces. The left target. Not happy with that, I kept trying...

Pair of aces and a 6.
Pair of 7s and a queen.
Pair of aces and a queen.
Three aces and a 5. My best, and the right target.

I need better eyes and a better trigger pull with the Ruger.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good work fritz!

My intent was to rent the Ruger SA at the range but it runs out, it was a .44.

If the match is still running this weekend, I'll try it again with rented hogleg.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, guys! These were definitely small targets especially for the hardware that was used. I'll talk to Noah and see what he wants to do for the next one.

Posts: 8388 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, It's been a crazy week. I switched to day shift at work, and I'm getting up at 4:30 in the morning now, so I fall asleep at night before everybody else, even on my days off, and it's eliminated a lot of my evening alone time, which was mostly spent on the forum.

So here's what I'm thinking for this week:

This one may require a partner. We'll be using this target: https://img.trex-arms.com/wp/u...ottleControlX-v2.pdf. Ignore the instructions on the target, we only care about the numbers.

With a partner to run the timer, put 10 rounds into the target, one at a time, from the holster at 5 yards (any handgun, any sights). You get 2.5 seconds for the "4", 3 seconds for the "2", and 3.5 seconds for the "1". If your range doesn't allow drawing from the holster, you can run it from the low ready, just subtract one second from the allowed times. Full disclosure, I haven't tried this yet myself, so hopefully the time constraints aren't completely unrealistic.

Here's where the partner comes in...immediately prior to actuating the timer, they will call out the number you are supposed to shoot. They should randomize this so you're not always shooting the same number, and in no particular order. Each number call should occur immediately prior to the buzzer so as not to allow time for the shooter to think about it.

Any hits in the appropriate circle, within the time limit, count as one point (if it touches the line, it counts). Hits outside the circle or over time are zero.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8388 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, the times weren't a problem...it probably didn't hurt that he was calling out the number just before he hit the buzzer so it provided just a fraction of a second more to prep for the buzzer. We used a random number app to choose between 1, 2, and 4, and this is what we came up with:

I got a 9 (just squeaked one in on the 1, and dropped one below the 2). Noah was shooting low (he doesn't have a lot of time on the dot, but I've been neglecting the work gun lately and wanted to take this opportunity to put some rounds through it. He started making hits about halfway through, and later told me he just started using the irons. I guess we need to spend some time on the dot.) and scored a 5. Mine were from the holster, his were from the low ready. All shots were under time.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, 92fstech.

I downloaded a "dice" app to the phone to call 2's and 4's and ones.
But when I got to the range, I'd left my phone home.
Will try again this weekend.

I have an old, real *die* in my desk drawer but for some reason it only rolls 2's and 6's.

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I shot it four times with S&W 317, Aguila Super Extra High Velocity .22LR and a dice game app on my phone.
The app rolls the die (dice) when tapped and a lady speaks the number when it settles. Smile

Placed the roofing nails inboard of the corner target circles. Started with revolver in one hand at low ready, the other on the phone app.

Shot it four times, getting worse each time.
9/10, 8/10, 7/10 4/10

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, Richard, and one-handed! Every time you bring out that 317 I get the feeling that I need to add an airweight .22 to the J-Frame collection, lol.

Noah and I are headed out Monday for a week of backcountry kayak fishing, so I'll be offline until we get back. You pick the next one...it'll give us something to look forward to when we get back.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
92fstech, I shot with a two hand grip on the revolver after 'clicking' the dice app with my left.

Here's my idea for a match:

Bunnies are destroying your garden and the local German restaurant serves Hasenpfeffer on Saturdays.

For air rifles or rimfire rifles, any sights.
Print any of this target series and post it/them at 40 feet.
Shoot ten rounds, each from low ready with 3 second time limit from 'go'.
For easier scoring, only hits inside the 2 1/2" white circle (heart, lung, liver) count. If you wish, shoot all ten shots on one target, five each on two targets, or two each on five.
For tie breaker: irons beat red dots beat magnified scopes.

https://www.mossyoak.com/sites...ine-files/Rabbit.pdf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Savage B-Mag .17 WSM, Bushnell 3X9 set on 4, 20Gr Winchester ammo.

8/10

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Richard! I was hoping to give it a go today, but was zeroing new sights for a couple of my Marlins and ran out of time. I'm off Wednesday and Thursday this week, hope to get it done then.

posted Hide Post
Took a break from chainsaw duties after lunch. Kimber Classic Sporter .22lr with Wolf ammo. NF HSV 4-14x set at 4x.

At 40 feet. My shot timer picked up only a few shots out of 10. Even without a can, the Kimber isn't that loud. Pretty much in the 1.5-2 second ballpark from the beep.

Pushed the target back to 50 feet. A touch slower and a little harder to stay on target.

Then back to 60 feet. First time didn't go well, scoring 5/10, and some shots after the beep. Second time was better, but pushing right up against the 3 second beeps.

Then back to 70 feet. Increased the time to 6 seconds. Still couldn't take all day, but better not to be bumping up against the time limit. Magnification bumped up to 5x.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice, fritz!

I also tried it with Marlin 39A& Aguila short .22 Hi Velocity , but had a jam; will probably do it again this weekend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Fritz!

posted Hide Post
The wascally wabbit was a little harder than I expected. Might have been from running a saw, but I just didn't feel smooth while raising the rifle. Who knows.

Pretty nice, Richard -- all 10 were solid hits in the right places.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We finally got to shoot it tonight. It's been a week...I worked details all morning, changed the radiator in my truck and repaired the A/C Compressor Clutch, then ran the range for the PD tonight...managed to sneak in there a bit early and shoot the match with my Glenfield Model 70, set up with Tech Sight and a British Enfield sling. Noah tagged along. I managed 9/10, he got 5/10.

Rabbits have been the bane of my existance this year...constantly getting in my garden. This was a satisfying exercise. I kind of want to take this target out and try the same course of fire with my M16 clone Big Grin.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice target, 92fstech, and with irons.

You guys buried me in a landslide!

Just for giggles, I'm going to print more targets. There are a few more different rifle/sight/ammo combinations in my collection accumulation that deserve a chance at Br'er Rabbit.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for giggles, I'm going to print more targets. There are a few more different rifle/sight/ammo combinations in my collection accumulation that deserve a chance at Br'er Rabbit.

Agreed, the dang bunny is definitely getting M16ed, and maybe even Garanded if I can get the time next week.

Fritz, I think you got this one. What are we doing next?

posted Hide Post
It looks like my reading skilz aren't so good. Richard -- I just took a quick look at your target and thought 10/10, with all rounds in the vitals.

Let's continue on the wabbit theme, but as a speed drill. This time we're walking around with a handgun and there's very little time to make a shot. Cuz bugs is quick.

Same rabbit target. Handguns at 5 yards, starting from low ready, 5 rounds. The rub is that we have only 1.5 seconds from timer beep to breaking the shot. A point is scored for anything in/touching the circle. If there is a tie, we go to number of hits in the vitals.

Any handgun, any caliber, any sights. Single action, double action, whatever -- you choose.

We get to try this with up to 3 different handguns -- but only the first attempt with each handgun counts. Go with your best result for the official score.

Be vewy, vewy quiet -- we're hunting wabbits.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
nice, I like it!