SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I wailed on the wabbit some more yesterday.

I like rimfire rifles that will shoot LR, L and shorts.

Marlin 39A with Aguila .22 super Extra Short round nose and
Remington 582 with W.22 LR 40gr HP Winchester.

Leupold fixed 4X on the levergun and Leupold 1x4 on 4 on the bolt gun.

If I get time, he will get some more admonition today.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK, I shot this one on the patio before the weather turns ugly.

Beeman P1 Magnum, .177 match pellets, full cock, claimed 525 fps. Used the phone app timer with 1.5 seconds par time and 15 seconds to allow cocking and reloading between shots.

Maybe I'll try it again later, swim 5 laps before shooting the string.

But not now. That Filipino breakfast is still weighing heavily in my stomach. I'd hurl.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting.
Cue the Looney Tunes orchestra...."Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit."

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

My reading comprehension needs improvement. The directions call for 5 shots, not ten.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Fantastic shooting! And in your own yard by the pool...doesn't get much better than that, lol. It's going to be a bit before I can get to this. We ripped our roof off today and started getting underlayment down. I'm hoping to get it shingled tomorrow, and praying it doesn't rain tonight. It was decent all day then rained just a little bit just as we started with the underlayment. We ran out of daylight before we could finish. I hurt everywhere right now...

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First up, the old Sig P6. I wasn't certain how fast I had to be to stay under 1.5 seconds. I was a little too fast, with a time of 1.05 seconds for the first shot. Which, of course, was the miss low left. Settled in at a consistent 1.25 to 1.30 seconds.

Next up, a Glock 43X that I'm breaking in for my B-I-L. First shot went high. Ruh-roh, forgot about the grip angle of a stock Glock. Pretty much 1.15 to 1.25 seconds.

Finally, my Glock 26, with a grip angle change and a Ghost trigger. Times of 1.10 to 1.20 seconds. Got all excited after realizing my first 4 rounds were in the money. Then blew the 5th shot. Duh, what an asshole. Oh that's right, it's an asshole shot. A bunny butt shot -- gotta count for something.

This took very little time out of my saw duties, and was actually kinda fun. 4 out of 5 for all three pistols.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very good pest control, fritz!

[cliche]You tore him a new one[/cliche]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I like rimfire rifles that will shoot LR, L and shorts.

My first rifle was a Winchester 250 lever action. Tube magazine, it accepts all three .22 rounds. We found that the shorter-length ammo didn't feed consistently, and thus stayed with LR. I also recall the accuracy was a little better with LR.

Do you swab out your chamber when you switch from the shorter-length rounds to LR?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I don't, routinely. When it gets cruddy and tight, a bent brass bore brush and solvent works. The 582 needs it before the next range session.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Well, I shot it once more with 9MM CZ TS2 and dropped one, 4/5.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting guys. It was harder than it sounded.

First, my excuse...I spent all week ripping off and replacing my roof, and got tendonitis really bad in my right wrist...it swelled up to about 2x it's normal size, and hurts to move. It's not a fan of recoil either.

We shot the work gun (P320RX), the GP100, and the MkII. I got 3/5, 3/5, and 4/5 respectively. Noah got 1/5 (he still hates the dot), 2/5, and 3/5. Neither of us was happy with the outcome, so we shot it again with the MkII and each of us cleaned it twice in a row. Figures, lol.

And, we let him have it with the poverty pony M16 clone from 40 feet, too, just for fun:

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You guys amaze me with you knowledge, skills and talents. I fumble just unscrewing a light bulb.

Really cool that you and family worked on that roof together, and still did just fine on the marauding lagomorphs. With a wounded wing, no less.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The kids were a big help...Noah hauling shingles and running the nailer, and the younger ones pulling nails and doing cleanup. I'm sure glad we won't be dealing with it again for another 25 years or so, though...by then I'll be old enough I'll probably break down and just pay somebody to do it. Just couldn't bring myself to do that this time, but about halfway through I was wishing I had lol.

Richard, you took the win this time (and with double the rounds no less!), so the next one is on you!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Our outdoor range is closed due to flooding from Hurricane Ian, so I found this online and plagiarized it for our match:

https://www.jamestownrifleclub.org/lightrifle.html

"Our program is based on the NRA National Light Rifle Program, which is aimed at making this a "blow the dust off the old .22 in the closet and take it to the range and shoot" atmosphere. Meaning, you don't have to have fancy, expensive equipment or rifles to shoot this league; it's open to any age group, young or old, to those with decades of shooting experience and those with not much at all, iron sights or scoped rifles... The mission of this program is to get to the range, be safe, shoot and have fun!
Equipment used is very simple: Bring yourself, your rifle and ammo. You can use a shooting shirt if you wish, but stiff shooting coats, slings, and gloves are not allowed. Again, this is meant to be a simple, non-expensive, fun time at the range. The only requirements for Light Rifle is that your rifle must weigh less than 8.5lbs (including sights/scope) and your trigger weight must not be less then 2.5lbs (for safety). Rifles are not categorized by action or sight type and magazines may be used to load and shoot your targets.
The Course of Fire is a total of 30 shots (3 targets) each week in the Standing position. Per NRA Rules, all shooters may rest their forearm in their side while shooting. Fired targets are submitted to the Light Rifle Captain each week for league record keeping. If you would like to shoot ahead in order to make sure you don't miss a league night, that is permitted, just please notify the Captain in advance. Each target fired consists of 10 record shots (2 shots per record bullseye) and unlimited sighters on the NRA A-32 target (above) in a time limit of 15 minutes. "

So, print 3 of these targets, (edited to add) post them at fifty feet, fire two shots on each record bull for total of 30, with unlimited shots on the sighter bullseye, all in a 15 minute period.
https://bisonballistics.com/do...-light-rifle-50-foot

For scoring, here is a link to the official targets (The center dot is the 'X'):
https://domagron.com/wp-conten...81ccd3322-scaled.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So, 5 of the bulls on each sheet are scored targets and the sixth is a sighter? At 50 feet? Sounds like fun and a good excuse to break out some of the old Marlins.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
So, 5 of the bulls on each sheet are scored targets and the sixth is a sighter? At 50 feet? Sounds like fun and a good excuse to break out some of the old Marlins.

yes, top center is the sighter, and targets posted at 50 feet.

https://domagron.com/wp-conten...81ccd3322-scaled.jpg

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Tried it saturday with my first rifle, a Marlin Glenfield with aperture sights. The bullseyes just grayed out. Sighting in was futile.
Came back today with the same Remington 582 and scope on 4x that I used on the bunny, got a 264/300 with one X, but it was fun.

Smile

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I'm sure that's better than I'll do. Was hoping to get out and shoot it tomorrow, but something came up at work and I have to be in there all afternoon. Hopefully I can make it happen Tuesday.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We shot this Tuesday, but I didn't have a chance to post the results until now. Noah shot a 246/300 with his Marlin Model 25N and a 3x9 scope (cheap, indeterminate brand). I shot a 256/300 with my Glenfield Model 70, equipped with Tech sights.

Those were our first runs, and it was all down hill from there. Noah shot a 157/300 with the Marlin 39a, and a 146/300 with the Glenfield 70.

I shot a 210/300 with my Glenfield 25 bolt-action, equipped with Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4x, and a 204/300 with the 39a. The 39a run was going really well and then fell apart on the last set of targets.

It did give us a chance to get warmed up for some squirrel hunting this morning, though. We went over to my buddy's with the bolt action Marlin and Glenfield 25s...we each got one, so not an incredibly productive day, but still good fun.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very good, Noah and 92fstech!

Was just telling one of my employees, never marinate squirrel with Kraft Italian dressing. Its bad.

Can't even remember why I thought that would be a good idea many years ago ...