SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Next up is what I call WC 16" #3. A Wilson upper with a fluted 16" Recon barrel, 1:8 stainless. This barrel is less picky with ammo than #2, and excels at accuracy at distance for a 16" barrel. Wears a Nightforce NXS F1 3.5-15x -- made at the time between the old blue-ish SFP NXS and the new NF ATACR line. This NXS F1 has much clearer glass than the old NXS line, however its minimum parallax adjustment is....not close. Even at 50 yards, it's just OK. At 25 yards, I was seeing fuzzy gray-ish blobs, not bugs.

I dialed magnification up and down to find something that worked. At around 8x the bug blur seemed the best. To shoot each bug, I placed the crosshairs down and right (about 3-4 MOA) from the bug, then moved the crosshairs up & left, and broke the shot. I really couldn't see how accurately I was shooting, and thus had to walk down to the target every few shots for confirmation. I double tapped the one bug on high left....DOH! Score of 18/20. Sorta.

If the NF NXS adjusted to closer distances, I feel the #3 barrel would have scored 20/20, and possibly with all body shots.
I used the same lower for both uppers. Wind was almost nothing for both targets.
Hornady 55 Vmax ammo for both targets, all from the same lot number.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Fritz, it's interesting that the cheaper scope actually was more versatile and performed better in this particular scenario than the Nightforce. I guess to be fair, 25 yards isn't a typical scoped rifle distance.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice, fritz.

We were traveling this weekend; couldn't try it with a different setup here.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I treated this fly shoot more or less as a dot drill. I saw almost all of my impacts on paper with the 22lr rifles. Meaning that the scope's reticle remained on the POA after breaking the shot, and that I was watching the paper when the bullet hit the target.

I saw maybe 50% of my impacts with the AR15 with the Vortex 2-10x scope. I was really pleased with this, as the time from bang to hit is really small with a bullet going Mach 2.5+.

Next up is the big boy, a 308 bolt action. With 6k rounds on its original barrel, it's getting a little long in the tooth. I suspect the barrel could go tits up any day now. But it still shoots. Recoil was interesting. I was amazed that I saw 2 impacts on paper -- didn't expect to see any. Score of 20/20. The ATACR 7-35x scope is amazing.

Multiple thunderheads rolled through while shooting. Winds were generally in the 10-15 mph ballpark, but the wind direction ran the entire compass as storms approached and rolled by. Sometimes it was challenging to remain stable. I shot in groups of 5 rounds, then walked and dug weeds over an acre or so between groups.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thats some excellent shooting Fritz, I think you're picking the next one!

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Thanks. I hate flies. Actually had a few land on targets while I was shooting -- considered going after them.

My shooting opportunities might be limited for a few weeks. I'm passing the buck, and giving Noah the opportunity to choose the next match.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Thanks. I hate flies. Actually had a few land on targets while I was shooting -- considered going after them.

My shooting opportunities might be limited for a few weeks. I'm passing the buck, and giving Noah the opportunity to choose the next match.

Lol I know the feeling!

My MIL is bringing the kids back up from FL Friday night, and my wife gets back from Portugal Saturday night, so my life goes back to normal this weekend...I'm looking forward to it, it's been too darn quiet around here with everybody gone! I'll put it to him when he gets back...he'll enjoy coming up with something. Just to warn you guys it'll probably be something milsurpy, as that's the kick he's been on lately.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So I put it to Noah, and here's what he came up with. It's a course of fire for young eyes, that's for sure.

2" circles at 50 yards, any rifle iron sights or non-magnified optic (LPVOs are ok set to 1x). Any shooting position. One point per shot, 6 shots total.

https://amedia.concealedcarry....ch-Circles-Horiz.pdf

As an alternative, if you only have 25 yards, shoot 6 of these circles:

https://demonstratedconcepts.c..._dotdiscomfort-1.pdf

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"2" circles at 50 yards, any rifle iron sights or non-magnified optic"

Um, I just printed one target, taped it to the dumpster door at work and paced off 50 yards ...

have you tried it?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have not, but we paced it off in the street in front of the house last night and he thinks he can do it. I'm not convinced. I can hold 2" at 50, but that's with a larger bull that I can see and hold a consistent point of aim on. We'll give it a go today or tomorrow and if it's totally undoable I'll get him to change it to something else.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm searching for printable A23 targets.

The black bull is 3 7/8" intended to be shot with aperture irons as well as scopes; I believe that subtends the 7 ring.

I'll look at one when I get home.

If those 2" circles were all black, they might be more 'seeable' at 50yds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

posted Hide Post
Consider using 2" Shoot-N-See pasters.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I tried the circles today, and they were almost impossible to see. I got 3/6, but there was a lot of guesswork involved. I like the A23 idea, and there are scorable rings, so it'll be easier to establish a winner. I found one online: https://www.pdffiller.com/jsfi...4c588c0309ec6cae077d

Let's shoot one of these at 50 yards, 5 rounds, so a total score out of 50, X count will be the tie breaker.

posted Hide Post
I couldn't get the link for pdffiller to work, however google search for 50 yard A-23 came up and was printable.
argc.ca is the site

The 7-10 rings are black. The 7 ring is officially 3.89" in diameter. The 9 ring is 1.89" in diameter, so it's pretty close to 2 inches.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I couldn't get the link for pdffiller to work, however google search for 50 yard A-23 came up and was printable.
argc.ca is the site

The 7-10 rings are black. The 7 ring is officially 3.89" in diameter. The 9 ring is 1.89" in diameter, so it's pretty close to 2 inches.

Yeah, that'll work. I'm not sure why the pdffiller link broke...it stopped working for me too. ANy A-23 target will be fine.

posted Hide Post
It's now weed control season at our ranch. Ugh, I hate thistles. Was supposed to be cloudy in the morning with rain in the afternoon -- they got it backwards. Started out with temps in the 40s, drizzle, winds of 10-15. Even with Goretex I as soaked and cold. Every step resulted in feeling the water squish between my toes. After 5 hours of this crap, I decided a little shooting was in order. As I warmed up in the car and had some food, the skies cleared and temps rose 20 degrees.

I have 2 rifles with optics that have a 1x low end -- the Wilson AR9G SBR with a Vortex 1-4x and a Wilson 300blk SBR with a Nightforce 1-8x. Brought both, figured the 300blk would be the ticket. Upon pulling out the rifles, I found out that the NF's battery was dead. Worse, at 1x the black-only reticle really sucked on the A-23 black target. So....the AR9G better do its stuff.

In the dry creekbed and out of the wind, here's the high-tech target backer.

The center aiming dot of Vortex is kinda red at max, and a little smaller than the black portion of the A23 target. I took a lot -- and I mean a lot -- of time for each shot, trying to keep that kinda red dot in the center of a small black target. I was surprised and quite pleased with the results -- 5/5 within the 2" portion.

So I tried again with the AR9G, but this time with a more brisk time interval between shots. 2 in the 10 ring, 1 in the 9 ring, 1 in the 8 ring, 1 in the 7 ring.

For grins, on to the 300blk, even with the less than optimal black reticle. First time -- 1 in the X, 2 in the 9 ring, 1 in the 8 ring, 1 in the 7 ring. One more time -- 1 in the 10 ring, 1 in the 9 ring, 3 in the 8 ring. I need to replace the scope's battery.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Fritz. I've been really impressed with the accuracy you can wring out of that AR9 in a wide variety of applications!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, this had potential to go really, really well if I could have kept it together, but apparently I shifted my point of aim slightly (or jerked, very consistently) for the last two shots. Both of those ended up outside the 2" circle. Using the scoring rings, it would be a 44/50. Shot with my Remington 03A3:

Noah was having trouble working out his zero, but managed to put up a respectable group for 36/50, but all outside the 2" ring. Shot with his Swedish 96/38 Mauser:

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, guys!

92fstech, what kind of shooting position?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Any position you want...we shot prone off a front rest, no rear bag.