SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Couple P320 issues on first range trip (also my wife’s first time firing a gun)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple P320 issues on first range trip (also my wife’s first time firing a gun) Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
First, the Norsso barrel I got consistently prevents the slide from returning to battery.

Works fine with the factory barrels.

Second,

Gonna clean, lube well, and see if I can break it in.

Otherwise I’ll contact Norsso, I’ll also try it in the factory slide next time.

Overall I’m not disappointed as this is a project fun, but the kicker was the Holosun tightened to factory specs also came loose! Frustrating but gives me a reason to go back Friday or tomorrow.

Wife’s last 9 rounds (P322 ain’t reliable 10 in a row). Not bad for first time ever shooting.
About 16’ distance.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Holosun torqued to factory specs but did you use blue loctite??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
James,

I know nothing about Norso. What does it do that the factory barrel cannot? If it keeps consistently giving you FTRTB, when the factory barrel does not, I would contact Norso now, instead of waiting to "break in". There is no break-in period with these P320s. Anyone who gives you this line of bullshit should get a kick in the rear.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Barrel not 100% drop in and needs some fitting possibly.

Also curious why the different barrel? I’ve shot a few 320s and while they are not my thing they all shot damn well. (Not a judgement thing just a curiosity thing).

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Also make sure you let blue loctite cure for 24 hours. It sets up pretty fast but can take a bit to fully cure and that slide movement has got to be hell on those screws.

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I was only missing a barrel to put together a 3rd 320.

And sig wasn’t seeking anything without a LCI.

I’ll contact Norsso, it’s almost like the coating is too thick, but more likely slightly out of spec.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The FTRTB and the light strikes could be related...your headspace may well be off. I'd confirm that that barrel is properly fitted, or just hit the easy button and source a factory barrel.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen an aftermarket barrel that didn’t caution about a need for fitting even if just mildly. I mean sure you can get drop in lucky but I would guess the barrel needs some fitting. Now how to fit a barrel or what specifically to look for is well out of my wheelhouse.

posted Hide Post
Was wife shooting a 322 or was that a typo. At one point I owned half a dozen 320’s. I think in all of them I might have had one or two malfunctions with one of them in the first mag and then they were perfect. Q is right the 320 out of the box is basically 100%. Shitcan that barrel.

If it wasn’t a typo, I find the 322 is very reliable with one caveat. The magazines are real finicky about loading. I mean real finicky. I can load a mag thinking I did it perfectly. Just pull the follower down enough to get one round in, stagger them, don’t let a rim flop over, etc., only to look at it from the side and one of the mag stacks looks different. I literally then have to unload that mag and start over.

I find the 322 is the gun that should be amazing. Yet it isn’t quite there. I load mags, all five of my range mags, then look at them from the side. If they are identical I am almost guaranteed to have 100 jam free rounds. I could probably deal with that but the other thing is that it just feels plastic-y to me. I don’t like that.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Talking with Norsso, will send em some photos tonight.

Matrix P229 performed flawlessly today at the range though.

Looking forward to going back tomorrow.

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Who makes the ammo in the picture?

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
It’s 8-10 year old Wolf

posted Hide Post
That looks like straight up Tula. Russian born and bred. That being said I have ran dozens of cases of that stuff and never had any issues. 123 bucks a case. Great stuff for the range.

Didn’t see your post. Wolf. Gotcha

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Those failures to fire (seem to) have impacts that are significantly off center, in addition to being very light. Off center impacts can result in failures to fire, and of course so can light strikes.

I believe that if the slide wasn’t fully forward when the impacts occurred, that could be why they were off center.

If they were light strikes as well, I’m not sure if the slide’s not being fully forward could cause/contribute to that, but maybe.

Excessive headspace is another possibility for light strikes. As a quick check for a possible problem, drop some cartridges into the barrels after they’re removed from the slide. The base of case should be flush with the barrel hood extension that contacts the breech face of the slide. If the case sits farther into the chamber, then either the headspace of the barrel is excessive or the cases of the cartridges are too short. If you see that problem, try different cartridges to ensure it’s not a case problem.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Pedro, I agree, couple thousand rounds each of 9mm and 223 of the Wolf stuff and it’s never not worked.

Sigfreund, definitely related as I’m 300 rounds into this lot and it’s working fine with factory barrel and other 9mm firearms.

I tried the barrel on different slides, different RSAs. Tried factory on the same slides and RSAs, and the only constant I see is that everything else works fine in ANY combination and this barrel has the same problem in EVERY configuration.

I’m not bashing or anything at this point, just pointing out what I’ve seen. Norsso has been very responsive so I don’t doubt they’ll fix it.

I’m honestly a bit irritated Sig doesn’t currently offer a non-LCI 3.9” standard barrel on their website. Only one I see is a 50$ more gold one.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Pedro, on the P322 issue I completely agree, I don’t think any failure has been related to anything other than finicky magazines and the proper stacking.

Like you though I consider this a fault as it’s too much margin for error. Decent teaching tool up to this point though to be honest, teaching my wife to recognize and clear a malfunction thoughtfully and not panicked.

posted Hide Post
The 322 has soooo much potential. I know it’s mostly plastic but it feels like it. Pot metal feeling but in plastic.

The mags are a pain in the ass. I would literally prefer a 15 round mag that I could just dump rounds in. It’s why I don’t even consider buying the 25 rounder, I figure it is even more finicky.

Now I just load them all at once and look at the stack from the side. If they all look identical, great. If not, not so great.

Sig needs to give this one a do over. (it’s still a good gun but I had really high expectations)

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity why the desire for no LCI? I mean it seems like a “I can take it or leave it” sort of thing?

I mean I get not liking that “happy to see you” pop up on your gun but I haven’t heard of them causing any issues with anything outside of a Ruger Model or Two back in the day.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If you have an optic mounted, it provides another avenue for getting soot and crud on the glass, especially if you're using an LCI cut barrel hood without an LCI equipped slide. You're always going to get some fouling, but the open cut just makes it worse.

The whole concept is stupid and unnecessary on the P320, anyway, as a quick look at the side of the ejection port will allow you to see the chambered case through the gap. I do it every morning before work...no LCI or press-checks needed.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with them but like 92FS mentioned, I’ve read that they can foul up an optics and this is the ONLY gun I have an optic on.

I’m not HARD set against them but also not sure why that’s all they offer in this length…likely it’s their best seller and need them for the production line.