SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone know what model 1911 this is?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know what model 1911 this is? Login/Join 
posted
Magwell, grips not original.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Those aren't magwell grips (*). That mag funnel is probably either pinned to the mag well or it's integral with the MSH. I think those are probably VZ grips, but I'm not certain. (And they aren't cut for a mag funnel, so one of the two was after-market.)

I think I know what SIG that is but I'll be damned if I can get my brane to cough up the name. I think it's the one I was considering--until I found SIG had, naturally, stopped making it. It's one of the ones that, unlike other SIG 1911s, has a standard 1911 frame form factor.

I suspect neither the pistol nor the mag funnel's finishes are stock, either.

(*) Why do people call mag funnels "magwells?" All semi-automatic, magazine-loaded pistols have magazine wells.

ETA: Did a little digging. What I'd been thinking of was the Match Elite. It's not a Match Elite. What it appears to be is a refinished STX: SIG Sauer 1911 STX Full-Size It might also be a Lipseys special that's no longer in production, but, if so, the grips are after-market because, as I said, they aren't mag funnel grips.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
(*) Why do people call mag funnels "magwells?" All semi-automatic, magazine-loaded pistols have magazine wells.

Ho-lee chit! I thought I was the only person on the planet who knew that. If any gun that uses a detachable magazine didn’t have a magazine well, there would be no place to put the magazine.

Sorry for the thread drift? Nope.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I call them jet funnel. Not sure where that "jet" originated, but I first read about it with the HK pistols.

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My guess is that is a C3 Sig 1911.

Here is a pic of mine. The trigger is a replacement of the original one and the grips are Crimson Trace laser grips.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1911CO-45-T-C3
1911, 45 ACP, 4.2 IN, C3, 2-Tone, SAO, Contrast Sig.... 2016 timeframe.

Factory Two Tone

Some come with a mag funnel, some don't. Most come with Rosewood grip panels.
Those are definitely aftermarket grips, as they are slopped at the bottom and are cut for a rounded butt.

Sig's mag funnel is attached by a screw into the main spring housing.

As you see with Jimbo's, there are different variations. Slight differences in slide profiles, slide serrations, hammers and trigger cuts. As well as grips and funnels. Seems like they come with whatever they had on hand this week.

If you decide against the funnel, please email me.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat, Staccato, needs to stop calling things “Magwell” for some of youWink Touchy subject…

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Maybe they should call it clipwell, just to watch heads explode.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be a C3, but could not see the roll mark in the slide, and trigger is different. The other thing is the asking price of $850. That's why I wanted to try to find the model. Yeah the grips are trash, looks like they ground the bottom corner, or for a bobtail.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Maybe they should call it clipwell, just to watch heads explode.

LMAO! I almost did that

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Those aren't magwell grips (*). That mag funnel is probably either pinned to the mag well or it's integral with the MSH. I think those are probably VZ grips, but I'm not certain. (And they aren't cut for a mag funnel, so one of the two was after-market.)

I think I know what SIG that is but I'll be damned if I can get my brane to cough up the name. I think it's the one I was considering--until I found SIG had, naturally, stopped making it. It's one of the ones that, unlike other SIG 1911s, has a standard 1911 frame form factor.

I suspect neither the pistol nor the mag funnel's finishes are stock, either.

ETA: Did a little digging. What I'd been thinking of was the Match Elite. It's not a Match Elite. What it appears to be is a refinished STX: SIG Sauer 1911 STX Full-Size It might also be a Lipseys special that's no longer in production, but, if so, the grips are after-market because, as I said, they aren't mag funnel grips.

The slide serrations are wavy looking on that STX, straight on the mystery gun. I've looked at them all, except the LipseysSmile

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
The slide serrations are wavy looking on that STX, straight on the mystery gun. I've looked at them all, except the LipseysSmile
Ah. Missed that detail.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like this was all black when it left Sig. It was a Police/Mil special purpose, most likely had the slide bead blasted out in the wild. Sig told me the SKU is W1911-45-SP
Thanks for all the help gents!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JDG,

Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I believe that gun is all original, with the exception of the grips. Here is one, with CT grips installed, that was sold on one of the large gun classifieds websites...

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=100819856

They just call it a Sig Sauer 1911.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the C3 never came in Government size. Plus the slide roll mark doesn't match (kinda missing the all-identifying 'C3').

If anything it's likely a SIG parts bin special. Or it could be something they cobbled together for a "special" distributor exclusive, say for example a Lipsey's exclusive. Prior to COVID and more significantly their refocus on everything P320/P365, SIG did conjure up such limited run 1911 and even P-SIGs every so often. If I recall correctly there may have also been one or two outlier 938s and 238s as well.

A few years ago we had two or three different SIG 1911 versions that during their times didn't show up in the "official" catalogue. For instance they made what essentially was a commander Fastback Nightmare except with a traditional round top slide instead of the usual P226esque not-foxy boxy slide. Almost bought one but ultimately let the couple we had get away to customers. Still sorta regret that. There was the odd duck FDE Mk25 that came with the fugly MIM long extractor for a NY minute then "poof", reverted back to the proper short extractor with the next lot that came in from Exeter. And of course all of the 10mm P220 Lipsey's exclusives that SIG NH never documented in their official lineup card.

-MG

Posts: 2004 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Pretty sure the C3 never came in Government size. Plus the slide roll mark doesn't match (kinda missing the all-identifying 'C3').

Since the 'C3' marking is on the right side of the slide, how do you know its missing?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:

Since the 'C3' marking is on the right side of the slide, how do you know its missing?

Valid point based on a single photo as evidence. That's the danger in presuming; I assumed that the OP already owned the gun and carried the logic that he already knew that there was no indicator markings on the right/opposite side. My bad for not clarifying that.

-MG

Posts: 2004 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have pics of both sides, including the serial number. I called Sig, they told me what it was. It was built for a Police/Mil contract, and was not a two tone when it left the factory. They only knew the SKU#, W1911-45-SP(special purpose)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JDG,

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have pics of both sides, including the serial number. I called Sig, they told me what it was. It was built for a Police/Mil contract, and was not a two tone when it left the factory. They only knew the SQU#, W1911-45-SP(special purpose)

This W1911-45-SP is listed as a Target Stainless model with adjustable rear sight.

https://gun-shop.ca/product/si...-1911-target-45-acp/

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
I have pics of both sides, including the serial number. I called Sig, they told me what it was. It was built for a Police/Mil contract, and was not a two tone when it left the factory. They only knew the SQU#, W1911-45-SP(special purpose)

This W1911-45-SP is listed as a Target Stainless model with adjustable rear sight.

https://gun-shop.ca/product/si...-1911-target-45-acp/

You can't go by the Part Number (SKU) alone and know exactly what a particular SIG's configuration is. The Part Number can be very generic. In this case, the "W" just means gov/LE contract, and the "SP" means Special Configuration, which could means a thousand different things. "SP" just indicates a non-catalogued item. Under the Part Number on the label, the detailed configuration of a particular SIG is spelled out (most of the time). And, If you don't have that label, give SIG CS the serial number, and they will tell you what configuration it was, when it left factory. In OP's case, it was not a 2-tone, when it left factory. So, some previous owner did some refinishing (bead blasting the slide) on this gun, apparently.

Another example: E28-9-SP. This is the Part Number for both the US NJSP stainless slide P228 and the German stainless frame P228. It tells you literally nothing, except the guns are non-catalogued.

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post