SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 210 Carry Stiff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 210 Carry Stiff Login/Join 
posted
I really like this pistol. It is damn accurate and very enjoyable to shoot.

I’ve got 300 rounds through mine and lube it every session. Slide is still very stiff, just curious if others have found this to be the case?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "stiff?" As in difficult to rack? Isn't that due to the spring?

If you want, you can field strip it and look at the rails for any unusual wear.

I would also take the spring and barrel out of the slide and just run slide along the frame to confirm it is the spring that's making it "stiff."

But if it's accurate and shoots well, it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Mine is "normal". No different than any other Sig I own.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reported a while ago about how "stiff" the recoil spring is in the P210 Carry. Big, strong HE-men might not notice, but some of us do. That said, best pointing pistol that I have ever had - trigger on mine is not quite up to expectations, overall weight is just right, and as one might expect, recoil seems best with heavy bullets. But need a recoil spring with lighter newtons per mm.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
I reported a while ago about how "stiff" the recoil spring is in the P210 Carry. Big, strong HE-men might not notice, but some of us do. That said, best pointing pistol that I have ever had - trigger on mine is not quite up to expectations, overall weight is just right, and as one might expect, recoil seems best with heavy bullets. But need a recoil spring with lighter newtons per mm.

It was your post that got me thinking about it. Mine is fantastic enough that I ordered a VM2 for it. I did notice that slide is tough to rack, it’s noticeable……. And I’ve got plenty of sigs.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting that Milt Sparks will craft a VM2 holster for a P210 Carry. 30 week wait is long.
In your classes as NRA Training Counselor, the P210 Cary could be used to instruct how to rack stiff slides. What is your experience with Milt Spark's holsters?

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Interesting that Milt Sparks will craft a VM2 holster for a P210 Carry. 30 week wait is long.
In your classes as NRA Training Counselor, the P210 Cary could be used to instruct how to rack stiff slides. What is your experience with Milt Spark's holsters?

I have read your post a few times. Not sure what you are getting at?

1. I’m not sure why it’s “interesting”. Milt Sparks will craft a holster for any firearm if you are willing to wait for it.

2. My experience with them? I have about six of their holsters. In my professional experience, have found them to be of high quality, and durability.

3. I’m not sure about your comment about me being a TC, something I am very proud of. I don’t think I would take a p210 to a course, this seems to be a specific issue I noticed on this particular sig. I racked the slide of both my German made 210s, the classic and the six inch super target, neither of them have the aforementioned stiffness.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
I regret not being clear. "Interesting" because Milt Spark's WEB site seems not to provide a list of pistols for which a holster might be crafted. Other holster craftsmen seem to list pistols for which they provide holsters. Useful to know that you have been satisfied with Milt Spark's holsters.
You are most correct in being justifiably proud of being a TC. I am only an NRA Instructor. In the courses run locally, a covered topic includes ways safely to rack a slide - especially if stiff.
I expect that others exist who have noted the stiffness of P210 Cary's spring. Thanks for the verification you provided.

Mac in Michigan

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm by no means an expert... and am still trying to decide what 'stiffness' means in this thread.

I see two items when racking a slide on a semi-auto pistol...first is the initial 'break' to get it to move and then is the needed force to pull the slide all the way back to the rear. I first became aware of the difference in different pistols when I took a woman friend to shoot and she could not rack the slide on any of my semi-autos... after that I started to notice a big difference between say a .380 and a .45... seems it is not just the recoil spring but also the weight of the slide that all has to be matched to the type of ammo being shot. I know this is all common knowledge to most here but some folks it might not be. I own several P239s in both 9mm and 357sig and there is a difference in racking the slide on even these....

Another observation ... I had the opportunity to shoot a Sig 210 two weeks ago... the single action factory trigger on it was good but to be honest not as good as on my Sig P226 Legion SAO.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a significant part of those wishing to be able to shoot one or more pistols, difficulty in operation is a big-deal. Stiffness, the amount of force (newtons) required to rack a slide is one major part of the difficulty. Being able to grip the slide (force at right angles to the slide) is another issue. Groves in the slide can help - but not always. Having a protrusion in the slide definitely helps. Cures that I have seen include attaching an about 30 mm post sticking out of the slide for an operator to grab (left side for right-hand person). Another cure is a piece of solid plastic shaped just right that one may use to push the entire pistol into while the slide is pushed back. Close to that is training a user to grip the slide with one hand while pushing the pistol back with the other hand. Pistols exist that address this issue. The Smith EZ series has helped.
My measurements of the force required to rack a P210 Carry suggests that the required force is not as much of the problem as is the difficulty in gripping the slide while racking. Use of skate-board tape on the slide so that the slide can be better grasped will help. All results in "stiffness."
One seems never to move the slide fast enough that the mass of the slide is a factor. Some give up on pistols and go to revolvers.
P210 trigger: quite different from well worked on 1911. Expect that over time cribs to improve the trigger will arise as they have for other pistols.

Mac in Michigan