SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me P220 W. German
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me P220 W. German Login/Join 
posted
Bought a very nice "87 (JH) P220 from a gun shop in Greensboro NC last tuesday. Its a "Made in W. Germany, Tyson's Corner, Va" gun. Came with orig box, papers, target, 3 mags. After oiling, I've fired about half box of my reloads and it functioned perfectly.
Too soon to comment on accuracy as I shot off my back porch just to make sure it worked properly. Did put a bunch of holes in 8 X 11 magazine I pinned up at about 20 yards. It set me back $650 for those who like to know these things. Smile

It has wood checkered grips, the inside of both contain the number 799 with the 7 being the European slash. I've not been able to determine if these might have been original or perhaps an option. Considering that previous owner/s have kept all the other items intact, I'm inclined to think these may have been original.

Posts: 15 | Location: Triad Area, NC | Registered: November 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm inclined to think these may have been original.

I don't think so. Early P220s came with black checkered polymer grips.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Nice! I imagine you’ll find it to be very accurate when you get a chance to shoot for groups. Enjoy!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new to you P220 W. German.

I am sure you'll love it long time. Wink

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
I'm inclined to think these may have been original.

I don't think so. Early P220s came with black checkered polymer grips.

I agree with Gary. W German Sigs came with the black checkered grips.

As long as you like the grips that's all that matters. Congratulations on your new Sig, it will serve you well.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I do like the wood grips; probably would have changed out the plastic type anyway.

Do any of you have any ideas about the origin of the grips, inasmuch as the slash/hash? 7 is the way European/English make their numeral 7.

Posts: 15 | Location: Triad Area, NC | Registered: November 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I hope your P-220 treats you as good as mine has treated me.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you post a pic? Inside and out?

Do they look like these Sile grips?

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not very techie and don't know how to download pics. However, mine does look exactly like yours, but doesn't have what appears to be a slight overhang on the bottom? What is the story on Siles grips?

Edited: Looked at mine again and they also have a slight overhang at bottom.

Found this on internet..no pics but description of Siles says they are Swiss...at least those made for Sigs?
vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=112116797468&t=1441477978000&tid=10&category=383&seller=pcfivez&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=0&ittenable=false&domain=ebay.com&descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ulflyer,

posted Hide Post
Sorry, above link did not work out.

posted Hide Post
I have heard of West German Sigs coming from the factory with wooden grips (whose checkering, shape, and contours match the West German plastic grips almost exactly). Usually though, on these guns, these wooden grips were marked with the model of the gun on the inside of the panels, as far as I know

Posts: 300 | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...140023244#9140023244

Wood grips were discussed some in this thread. Interesting read that will give a you at least one other manufacturer for a google search..

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I remember SIG Sauer cataloging accessory wooden grip plates for their pistols back in the 1980's and 1990's.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
I have heard of West German Sigs coming from the factory with wooden grips (whose checkering, shape, and contours match the West German plastic grips almost exactly). Usually though, on these guns, these wooden grips were marked with the model of the gun on the inside of the panels, as far as I know

Beginning in the early 1990's, I began extensive research on the SIG Sauer P220 pistol. And while I have learned in the world of firearms to never say never, I am personally unaware of any service grade P220's supplied with wooden stocks. This is not to say there were not commemorative or special order pistols so equipped. It is nearly certain however the OP's Plain Jane Tyson's arrived on our shores with the familiar black plastic grips.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very likely we'll never know how the probably European made wood grips got on my gun. I favor the input by CAR above that they were offered in a Sig catalog back during the period mine was made...late 80's.

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beginning in the early 1990's, I began extensive research on the SIG Sauer P220 pistol.

Is your research available to the membership or is it proprietary.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
quote:
Beginning in the early 1990's, I began extensive research on the SIG Sauer P220 pistol.

Is your research available to the membership or is it proprietary.

I've considered putting together a P220 Facts, Factoids and Opinions thread similar to 12131's excellent P228 page. To date however I haven't found the time or energy. Beginning in the early 1990's, I began assembling a chronological collection of every P220 factory variation I could locate. This included various calibers, importers, variations in stampings and evolutionary product improvements/changes. I periodically chime in when a member has a specific P220 question, though my research is limited to W. German pistols manufactured between 1976-1996. Please feel free to pick my brain. I will do my best to answer any questions.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Thanks hjs157, I have followed your responses to other questions and value them highly. My area of interest is the same as yours. I'll post when there is anything I can contribute.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the thread drift.

I saved gun rag articles of the P-220 from the 80's and 90's.

I will see if I can find the binder. I will be happy to share them with the membership here. It may take a week before I can find them. At one time, I did share them with someone here, I just cannot remember who, it was in the early 2000's.

Thread drift off.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve, any input is appreciated. If/when you get around to going through your date, pse keep in mind "wood grip". LOL.

Received today a nice set of P220 black polymer grips dated "87" which compares extremely well with the wood on mine. Tried them on, but went back to the wood which looks so much better. Smile