SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Observation about new revolver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observation about new revolver Login/Join 
posted
Ok, this is going to sound strange. At least it does to me. I recently purchased a S&W 340 no lock revolver. It is the version with the Scandium frame and the blacked out Stainless cylinder. 357.

As I was trying it out I noticed a "flash" at one point when I was dry firing in a dark room. I thought I was seeing things. So I moved to a mirror and dry fired looking directly down the barrel in the mirror. I have since dry fired a bunch and live fired the gun and it is still happening.

Basically every time you pull the trigger the firing pin and the firing pin "collar" are creating a spark. It is weird. The collar appears to be a different metal to strengthen the area around the firing pin channel.

Initially I thought it might be a burr and would work itself out or whatever. Nope, keeps "sparking".

Mind you, you can only see it in a darkened environment, kind of like static cling on sheets. It could be a static discharge but it is weird and it doesn't happen with any other revolver that I have ever noticed.

I literally just dry fired a 640 Pro, 649, 43C, and nothing. Pick up this 340 and it is making a "spark", static discharge, whatever it is constantly upon firing.

I figure it has to be a dissimilar metal thing but for the life of me I am stumped.

Please someone tell me I am missing something obvious. lol

Shot the gun yesterday for first time. Just what you would expect. Great sight picture for a J frame (U notch with tritium XS small dot outlined). Also hurt to shoot even with 38 spl's . Nice gun, you won't shoot it all day though. Grouped well, happy with purchase. Sparking is weird.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had that happen on many j frames. Never affected the gun firing not that i could determine anyway. I just chalked it up to friction and blew it off as a concern. Probably not much help to you but just my experience with the same phenomenon.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I googled it and it seems fairly common with some guns. How have I never heard of this? Still seems odd.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I pride myself on having at least a modicum of wide knowledge on firearms and I’ve never heard of this not have I ever specifically seen or noticed it. (Guess what I am doing later today. Smile)

Learn something new all the time I guess.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh make no doubt I pulled a bunch of revolvers out to make sure I wasn’t being crazy. Lol

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Interesting...my wife is gonna think I've gone crazy when I try this in the bathroom mirror tonight with all my J-Frames, lol.

Posts: 8616 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Interesting...my wife is gonna think I've gone crazy when I try this in the bathroom mirror tonight with all my J-Frames, lol.

In the dark as well, maybe get a little Barry White playing, a nice scented candle..... Big Grin

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What’s funny is this is probably one of those things that has existed forever but as soon as it gains traction in the modern world on the internet it will blow up into some GINORMOUS deal somewhere. Smile

quote:

Like I’m the ONLY guy who’s ever dryfire’d into a mirror. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

In the dark as well, maybe get a little Barry White playing, a nice scented candle..... Big Grin

Is there any other way Big Grin? There is already a scented candle in there, but it's not really for the purpose of romantic ambiance Big Grin!

Posts: 8616 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Well sonofabitch…….Smile. I just grabbed a no lock 442 and I’ll be damned it totally sparked once or twice. It wouldn’t do it every time, and I only got it to show like twice but it absolutely did exhibit. It looks almost like a tiny arc of electricity jumping wires.

Like I said, learn something new every day. Smile

Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Is there any other way Big Grin? There is already a scented candle in there, but it's not really for the purpose of romantic ambiance Big Grin!

Impress her by lighting the candle with the "Flash" from the gun...

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:

Impress her by lighting the candle with the "Flash" from the gun...

And definitely let us know how that works out for ya. Razz

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Like I’m the ONLY guy who’s ever dryfire’d into a mirror. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Well, no.

Which is why I put the right hand sticker on the mirror at eye level.

<--- not my 340 but you get the picture.

BTW, mine farted glitter until I Froglubed it. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15906 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 360pd does the same. I initially thought it was just glare from the firing pin going thru the hole when dry firing. I never thought about it much. This is interesting.

Posts: 460 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried this tonight. I thought I saw it once with my 640, but I wasn't sure and couldn't get it to do it again. My Model 60 wouldn't do it, and my 31 wouldn't either. I didn't try the 63, as it's a rimfire and dry-fire seemed like a bad idea. I thought for sure the 360 would do it since it's a scandium frame and has that same metal collar around the firing pin channel that your 340 does, but I couldn't get it to spark either. Weird.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Well no wonder the government wants to get rid of gas stoves and guns! It will eliminate all the explosions from guys dry firing their J-Frames. Big Grin

Posts: 6630 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And all over America that night…

No spark from my scandium / titanium 342.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noticed this many years ago with my 442.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I just checked my very early (50,xxx) Model 60 stainless and it doesn't spark.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post