SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365XL - Rear sight moved off of the optic cut cover plate?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365XL - Rear sight moved off of the optic cut cover plate? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
There has been a bit of what I consider a negative SIGism with some of SIGS newer optic ready guns, where they put the rear sight on the cover plate for the optic cover. A few different models of P365s and P320s have this. However some versions of these guns do not have this. The P320 X-Compact had it sight on the plate. The P320 X-Compact RXP Did not.

The same thing went on with the P365XL. The stock XL, all of which are optics ready, had the sight on the plate. The Spectra Comp did not. The XMacro, which I think shares the slide with the Spectra Comp also does not. But now I've just seen a video of a standard XL where the sight is off the plate. So has SIG given up on the sight on the plate concept, and just making slides with dovetails and sights on the slide itself now.

See the video below. Don't feel the need to watch the whole thing. The guy is a bit annoying. Skip to 2:30 to see the rear sight mounting. He discusses it at too much length, and rants about a immaterial stuff. However, he also Maggutsed a couple of his mags and discusses that toward the end of the video, if you have any interest in that.

Note, I've also seen a gun in this configuration on Gunbroker. But most of the guns on there still seem to have the rear sight on plate configuration.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yes, Sig changed the optic cut, moving it forward so the rear sight remains when an optic is mounted. You will note, the XL slide used to be marked XL, and the new style is simply marked X. This was no doubt do to consumer feed back and a good thing in my view.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if its true or not but a LGS employee told me that Sig will be transitioning all P365 models to the rear sight separate from the optic plate configuration.

Posts: 247 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't have the optic and is marked XL so it doesn't look like what I'm seeing in the video.
I put the Magguts +2 in my 12 round mag and it seems to function flawlessly. The base-plate is hardly any thicker than the stock part so it doesn't add much at all to the length, maybe an eighth inch at most.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The new 365XL tacpac comes with the new slide cuts and the slide is marked X as stated in the previous post. You can also order the XL slide from Sig’s website with the new cuts.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An inevitable change I think. A lot of gun owners want the security of having backup sights to their optic. Hear it all the time from customers at the shop.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Once they moved it on the Spectre Comp the writing was on the wall. Should have been that way from the start.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
Spoke to Sig CS and was told they are transitioning the 365 and 320 to a slide with the optic plate separate from the rear sight. This shows they are willing to adapt to consumer sentiment. Good job Sig!

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Waiting to see if/when they do this with the P320 XCompact line also. They already have the tooling set up. They have this setup with the RXP models. But the ones shipping without optics installed still seem to have the rear sight on the plate. This make absolutely no sense, because they seem to be going out of their way to have two different slides for essentially the same gun.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Maybe they're trying to avoid having to ask the military to change the specs on the M17 and M18? I'd think they'd have to do it eventually, though.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Wonder if that dude knows he's cross eye dominate?

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1137 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Have not watched the video yet...

I bought a P320 compact 4 years ago... have no clue as to the product placement in all this but it came from the factory with the Romeo sight and the rear sight is on the slide and the red dot is set in from of that... both function well and I have had no problem with them... not including that some times you have to take the cover off the battery compartment and put it back on to get power... then again that could be the 'turn signal fluid' problem I had on Saturday... I turned the Romeo on and then went to adjust it and it went away and I could not get it to turn back on until I realized I was outside in the sun and was constantly pushing the low power button and so could not see the dot at the lowest power when it came on....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh. Someone picking up irons well and fast when dot is lost or disappears is something I am yet to see. Especially with small screen optics when irons have to be kept small. On the other hand, having to dismount the optic every time I need to clean under the extractor on three guns that have to do it with is not something I look forward to.
I'm pretty happy with old design where I can use the built in rear on my optics to check for a dot drift, which is all I use irons for, but I am glad everyone else is happy with the change.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigh. Another SIG generational change that shafts those who bought earlier guns.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Sigh. Another SIG generational change that shafts those who bought earlier guns.

I have the original style and I don't feel shafted. I knew what I was getting when I bought it, I was happy with my XL when I brought it home, and I'm still happy with it. Should I now hate it because the newer ones are getting a different mount? Should Sig say, "well we have found a different solution for the mount, but we can't implement it because we don't want to shaft earlier buyers"?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So a manufacturer is not supposed to improve a product, likely based on customer response, because earlier versions of the product are in circulation? That sounds like a bad idea to me.

You knew what you were getting when you bought yours. You got what you paid for.

quote:

posted Hide Post
I have two of the old style. They work fine. None of the plates have flown over my shoulder so far. Lol. This new system is better. Will I get rid of my two older slides? Nope. One has an optic with a built in rear sight (507c) and the other just wears its irons since it donated its optic to a Sig 322.

Generational changes happen. It’s not like the first gen didn’t work, this is just a more elegant solution.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only bummer is the old style pretty much forces you to use SIG OEM sights. Forever.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not seeing how anyone is being shafted. Evolution happens; products are updated all the time. Problematic areas are addressed and fixed. Attributes are assessed and get refinement and improvement when needed. How is this a bad thing?

Moreover, options for older guns are certainly going to be available down the road. It's not like this new slide won't work on an older lower assembly. As they already have done and do now with their past and existing P320 slides, SIG will very likely sell the reconfigured slide(s) for those who want them. Sure there's an added cost but at least an older pistol will have the opportunity available to be made up-to-date.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ffhounddog
posted Hide Post
Going to the local cop shop what has been keeping me from getting a 365xl is the rear sight issue to me. I want The rear sight to be there not part of the plate.

Posts: 311 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post