SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 226 X5 tactical
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 226 X5 tactical Login/Join 
posted
I have wanted one of the original German made 226 X5 tactical guns for a long time and finally got the opportunity to pick one up, should be at my FFL by the end of the week. It is the one without the threaded barrel and I’m ok with that, does come with a nice set of walnut grips.

I prefer to shoot guns with red dots on them and this obviously isn’t cut for a dot, I may leave it as is but I’m strongly considering sending it off and having it cut for an optic, anyone done this to theirs.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the German X-Fives (Gen 1 Original and Gen 2 Enhanced) have that large internal extractor. The only exceptions are the Gen 1 "Short" models, which basically just have standard P226 slides with the short external extractor. I remember reading somewhere that even though it is possible to cut them for an optic, their internal slide geometry prevents the cut from being as deep as the cut on a factory optics-ready P-Series SIG. So the optic would sit higher. I'm not 100% sure, but pictures I've seen online are consistent with this. So if you are not OK with that, it might be best to just leave it alone. If you are OK with the optic sitting higher, that also opens up other (more reversible) options, depending on whether your gun is a Gen 1 Original or Gen 2 Enhanced.

Gen 1 - All Gen 1 Tacticals (AFAIK) came with fixed sights mounted in standard P-Series dovetails (like any other P226, P228, P229, etc.). This would make it easy to use one of those aftermarket plates that mounts to the dovetail. Also, all Gen 1 X-Five frames can accept the new US slide assembly, which is optics-ready by default. So that might be an option as well if you can track one a US slide assembly on its own.

Gen 2 - Gen 2 X-Fives cannot accept the new US slide, so that option is out. However, Gen 2 Tacticals came with adjustable sights that already have a pretty large cutout. I've seen pictures of plates (I don't know if they are aftermarket or factory) that can be inserted into that cutout. The optic would still sit pretty high, but it would be a reversible solution, and it would be more rigidly/securely mounted than the dovetail mount you'd have to use for an unmodified Gen 1 Tactical.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MacGyver,

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 339 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, the more I think about it I may just leave it be, I like optic on handguns but maybe it’s better to leave this classic alone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: big_gun_man,

Posts: 2059 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Why quote tigerbloodwinning‘s entire post? It was immediately above yours, so easily seen.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why make a post on this discussion if you didn’t have anything useful to say pertaining to my post?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It is useful.

He’s trying to do you a favor. The moderator doesn’t like nested quotes that are unnecessary.

That’s all.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok makes sense, thank you.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
tigerbloodwinning,

"All of the German X-Fives (Gen 1 Original and Gen 2 Enhanced) have that large internal extractor"

That statement just isn't factual. Gen 1 X-Five Short & Smart, and the Gen 1 X-Five Short both have the short external extractors.

If you had said "most X-Five guns have that large internal extractor" then that would have been accurate.

I own the Short and Smart, and the Short was owned by the Forum Member that sold me the Short and Smart.

Sig P226 X5 Short and Smart 004 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

X_5 Short_b by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yup. IIRC, your Short had the TB originally. And, there are other uncatalogued 1st Gen X5s Short with the short extractor, also.

ETA: I should have said extended ported barrel, because it wasn't a threaded barrel.

Q

Posts: 26404 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I edited my first post to reflect that. I of course know of those models, but since OP's gun (Tactical) is a 5-inch, I figured it wouldn't be relevant to him. However, if OP wishes to track down one of the Gen 1 Short models, he can make it optics-ready with a PRO CUT or RXP slide from SIG, since the top end is more or less just standard P226.

Of the uncatalogued Short models, the first one that comes to mind for me is a DA/SA with a standard (not bull) barrel and an all black Nitron finish. Stainless frame with undercut of course, but no mag well. There was a shop in Canada that had some not too long ago.

Posts: 339 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The Short isn't mine. I happened to have the photos sent to me for hosting when the previous owner sold it here on the Forum.
IIRC, the original barrel was extended past the front of the slide, and had a rudimentary compensator "notch" cut into the top of the OEM extended barrel.
It fractured out a chunk at the top of the barrel at/near the compensator notch. SIG USA replaced the barrel with something standard/not extended, as Germany SIG had closed.

NRA Instructor

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Yes, this is the original configuration of the SHORT. I bought it from another member and subsequently sold it. Its DA/SA trigger was good, but after Robert Burke massaged it into Competition Level, it was phenomenal.

Q

Posts: 26404 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
The Short isn't mine. I happened to have the photos sent to me for hosting when the previous owner sold it here on the Forum.
IIRC, the original barrel was extended past the front of the slide, and had a rudimentary compensator "notch" cut into the top of the OEM extended barrel.
It fractured out a chunk at the top of the barrel at/near the compensator notch. SIG USA replaced the barrel with something standard/not extended, as Germany SIG had closed.

I do seem to remember those Short models coming with an extended comp barrel. That barrel in it now is the same as what would be found in a Gen 2 Enhanced X-Short, P226 LDC, or P226 Sport Stock.

posted Hide Post
Q, interesting how yours has the rail (even though it's the same frame otherwise) and has standard controls instead of the Sport controls.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
I do seem to remember those Short models coming with an extended comp barrel. That barrel in it now is the same as what would be found in a Gen 2 Enhanced X-Short, P226 LDC, or P226 Sport Stock.

There are no Gen2 SHORT with the extended barrel. The LDC with the extended barrel is threaded, not ported. The Sport Stock, is just that, regular 4.44-inch barrel length, nothing extended.

Q

posted Hide Post
^^^I was referring to the current barrel in the DA/SA Short that cee_Kamp has pictured.

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Sig Catalog by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Q, interesting how yours has the rail...

Yeah, not what was listed in their catalog.

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^I was referring to the current barrel in the DA/SA Short that cee_Kamp has pictured.

Sorry, misunderstood you.

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Here is the SHORT (SAO) without the extended ported barrel, listed in the 2010 German catalog. Identical to the Short & Smart, except for the grips.

Q