SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Range reports on new Sig 938 & 238 (not so good)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range reports on new Sig 938 & 238 (not so good) Login/Join 
posted
Well I traded two reliable but not so easy to shoot for me Glocks for a couple of easy to shoot but not reliable Sigs. First was the 938. The gun was easy to shoot well and ran 100% with 124gr ball ammo. Federal HST 124 & 147 ran well, but 147gr Hydrashok jammed into the feed ramp 4 times out of 30rds. I also had several empties hit me in the head, and the mag popped out 1 time. By the time I was done,it was not having any issues.

The 238 was even worse. With the 6rd mag it was 100% reliable and ran all the ammm tested. 95GR ball and 99gr HST gave me no issues. Now, add the 7rd mag to the mix and all sorts of issues followed. The magazine popped out of gun everytime I pulled the trigger with self defense ammo and caused a malfunction. It did not do this with regular ball ammo. I have owned both of these model guns before and my first 238 had the same issue.

I will be calling Sig today for warranty work. I know what the fix is for the 238, but will send the 938 just for a once over since it did jam with hollow points.

Hey, at least they look good Big Grin.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Shame, sometimes things happen, did the guy you traded to mention he had issues?

Guess I need to get my 938 back out and fire a through rounds through it..

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Shame, sometimes things happen, did the guy you traded to mention he had issues?

Guess I need to get my 938 back out and fire a through rounds through it..

He did not. He was a a younger fellow who only ran ball ammo though the gun. The gun only dropped the mag using self defense ammo and only occurred with the 7rd mags (multiple 7rd mags). It did not occur with ball ammo and 7rd mags.

I'm thinking the minor issues with the 938 is just break-in.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. The 938 and 238 are by far my most carried guns. Sig will make them right.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Both my 938 and 238 had some issues during the first couple of mags when new. Now they are rock solid. Is it possible they are early production guns when Sig admitted to the issues you're having?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I wish you luck but I didn't have a good experience with my 238. Accurate, soft shooting but utterly unreliable.

Only experience with the 938 is range guns. Neither were reliable and I didn't find them very accurate.

Wish you the best of luck.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called Sig today and received a call tag for the 238. It will be heading back tomorrow. They also told me that they have a hell of a time making some those guns run with the Hydrashoks and Critical Defense ammo. I use HST's anyway, so I will take in back out in a few days to run it again. I really think it is just a break in issue with the 938.

The 238 is a 2015 gun. That is around the timeframe my other 238 was built and had the mag dropping issue.

posted Hide Post
I had my share of issues with my P938, it it has been absolutely relia Klein my hands for hundreds of rounds. Short list of issues:
- 2 piece Guide Rod disassembled
- Grip Screw lost
- Main Spring Housing (original design) pin wore off
- Magazine drop

All issues resolved.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
My wife’s p238 made in April 18 hasn’t had any firing issues (other then from a lost spring at lgs after replacing the sights). 500 rds or so.
It does have an issue when putting the mags in, you have to push the mag release button to get them in. We haven’t tried putting to much force, will this resolve itself over time?

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've never had any confidence in either of these guns. I'm not sure why. Apparently my ESP was correct. Sorry for your troubles.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new P238 a couple of years ago. When I took it to the range, I couldn't do well with it AT ALL. I blamed myself, thinking it couldn't be the pistol - it's a Sig, after all. Anyway, I sold it for slightly more than I paid for it.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello I am new to the forum as well new sig owner, I just purchased a P938 extreme made in April of 2018, are all these problems that are talked about on online forums worked out and parts upgraded from sig? Everything I research I read so many negative things. Hope the new production models are much better than older released ones.

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
The mag drop issues, especially on the P938 with the extended mags are well known and documented. They fixed the issue finally with an updated mag catch and spring and by dimpling the left side of the mags.

I sent my 938 back a few months ago for the fix.(It's a 9/2016 mfg gun) It was 100% reliable with 6 rd mags and other than it dropped the mag when the extended mag was used it was reliable as long as the mag stayed in.

I've got 3 P238's and they all work fine. Always have. I recently bought the new 938 Legion and it has been 100% reliable. All ball I've shot and with federal HST and Gold Dot. I've shot about 300 rounds through it so far.

If I were you, I would send the 938 back along with every 7 rd magazine you have. They will upgrade the mag catch and spring and they will replace all your non dimpled mags with the new design. It won't drop mags anymore when you get it back.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by decap91:
Hello I am new to the forum as well new sig owner, I just purchased a P938 extreme made in April of 2018, are all these problems that are talked about on online forums worked out and parts upgraded from sig? Everything I research I read so many negative things. Hope the new production models are much better than older released ones.

Your 938 Extreme should have all the upgrades. If it is not 100% reliable I would be surprised. Shoot with a nice firm grip and don't worry about it. My 938 I sent back for the fixes was a 2016 gun a it was also an Extreme. The P938's are great guns. IMO the only thing that would make the Legion 938 more perfect would be if the frame was steel instead of aluminum.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Are the 238's problems just with certain ammo? (That's what I'm getting from your posts.) I think that sometimes ammo makers concentrate on making their bullets expand into miniature throwing stars after penetrating X amount of Jello through a car windshield, forgetting that the ammo actually needs to run in the guns it will be used in. Why not find a load it likes and run that?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have a P238, purchased early 2015, with about 1K rounds through it. It had a few cycling issues over the first 200 rounds, but perfect since then, with all ammo. Nearly all 1K rounds were fired with 7-round mags.

In the past there were many reports of unintended mag drops, mostly with 7-round mags, but my P238 didn’t suffer that problem – maybe because I have skinny fingers that don’t exert much downward force on the pinky extension. SIG made two changes to fix that problem.

#1 – A Stronger mag latch spring.

#2 – The shape of the mag latch was refined.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry that some of you have been having problems with their P938s and P238s. I have both and never had any problems the likes of which I am hearing here. I shoot ball and hollow point, lately Sig Elite Performance 124gr Jhp.
Lately, yet not to the point of this thread, I have been carrying the p365 but the p238 is still in service in my wife’s purse.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just hit the 500 round mark with my Legion 238. Have a mix of Hornady 90 grain xtp, Winchester white box 95 grain ball, sig practice ammo and 90 grain v crown.
100% reliable.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it may be worth, I have P238 purchased maybe 5-8 years ago. It is fed only 95 grain FMJ, HAP and XTP slugs, all in my handloads. Round count so far (estimated, not recorded) probably 500-700 rounds. Nary a bobble so far, and shoots far better than any other mouse gun I've owned.

Posts: 55 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I love my 938, it is my EDC. It is a great gun to carry. Mine has been 100% reliable. Very accurate. I may one day replace it with a 365 but until then, I am very comfortable with the 938.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post