SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    GERMAN P229 SPORT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GERMAN P229 SPORT Login/Join 
posted
Assistance please: I have recently acquired a new .40 S&W DA/SA P229 Sport, steel frame and steel slide. This gun was manufactured in Germany and imported by the Firearms Depot in Arizona. It then went to Robert Burke aka The Sig Armorer. With his magic worked on it this gun has a 7.5# DA pull and a 2.75# SA pull. Hugely impressed. I am looking to have a Bar Sto 9mm barrel made - this will need to be a custom build as the dimensions on this gun are different from current p229.

What I need to know is where do I go to find 9mm magazines as those made for the current P229 do not fit? Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posts: 15 | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only thought there was 2 to pick from... the 229-1 mags are the new current wider ones, that fit the older 40 cal frames.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Actually the old P228/P229 9mm mags will fit and function also, but have a little wiggle because they are slightly narrower. But JDG is correct, the P229-1 mags are the ones you want because their body profile is modeled after the .40/.357 mags, i.e., wider at the bottom.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulation on a great new addition to the Family

The P229 SPORT is a fantastic pistol. Mine are all in 357 SIG and I love them

The SPORT pistols were produced in the SIG Mastershop over in Germany and are the predecessors of the X-family of auto-loaders. The single actions break should have already been spectacular out of the box. The double action pull was unmodified by the Mastershop and felt just about like any other P229 when these shipped. It is my guess that the DA pull is what Mr Burke addressed

Any and all 9MM magaznies from either the P229 or P226 family should insert, feed and function. I am surprised that you found one that will not insert

There are two versions of the P229 Sport. One has a single expansion chamber compensator on the end of the barrel and the other just has a barrel weight. Which variation did you end up with?

I am not a fan of using conversion barrels for the SPORT or X-family of pistols and swapping back and forth. The SPORT and X-family of pistols are hand fitted in Germany by the Mastershop. When you take your 2nd barrel and start using it, the firearm wears in to the dimension of the 2nd barrel, upon returning to the factory original barrel, the fit is not quite the same any longer. How much does accuracy suffer? I do not know if it is even enough for us to notice, but you have purchased a fine firearm and probably paid for that extra attention to detail that the Mastershop provides, why degrade it any amount?

BarSto barrels are expensive. Probably somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 the price of buying a used 9MM P229. So why not go all the way and just buy the 9MM P229 so that the P229 SPORT can remain the outstanding example of the gun maker's art that originally attracted you to it?

I wish more of the P229 Sport Stock pistols had been brought into America. They are great CCW firearms

BTW, one of our fellow Forum members, Brad, had/has been making aluminium bases to go on the 12 round magazines so that they look correct on the SPORT pistols. They are/were available in clear coat or black anodized. I love the feel of these in my standard P229s as well. Here they are alongside a original 10 round SPORT magazine.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for making the time to respond, greatly appreciated. Mine is similar to the second picture that you posted, the one with the wooden grips.

With regard to the magazines I shall hunt around. That being said I would be interested in getting in touch with Brad with regard to the aluminium base plates.

I also will take on board your comments an=bout keeping this in mint condition and maybe look at getting a P229 Legion as an alternate.

Thank you again.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Without the extended barrel, that would be a P229 Sport Stock

However most of the P229 or P220 Sport Stock pistols I have ever seen (never looked at a P226 Sport Stock box) all have the boxes simply marked SPORT instead of SPORT STOCK

Brad Davis makes the base plates. I can not recall his Forum name and truthfully I have not noticed any posts from him in a while.

Here is his E-mail address bdavis22@gmail.com

Do not forget to post some pictures for us, you know we love pictures Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
The tolerances on the Bar-Sto barrel I have for my sport are much looser than the factory barrel.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greatly appreciate that. Indeed will post pics shortly. Thanks for the email address.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I've never tried 9mm in the P229 Sport. I expect a 9mm Bar-Sto is going to be expensive.

However, I did have a Bar-Sto made for my standard P229 .40/.357sig. The P229 9mm magazines worked fine in the standard P229. I expect it would be the same for the P229 Sport.

Really love my P229 Sport.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
No idea on mags but Why do you want to go with 9mm?

I love mine in 357sig

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post