SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dan Wesson CBOB Ordered
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Wesson CBOB Ordered Login/Join 
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted
I’ve been lusting after this little bastard for over 10 years and, as a resident of CA, I’m limited on my pistol options, but the Dan Wesson CBOB is still on the roster and man it’s such a sweet looking piece. Every time I’ve had the 1911 itch the CBOB always takes over, so decided to finally just order the damn thing from Bud’s Gun Shop. Overall as my first 1911 I’ll have some learning to do, but from my casual reading my one concern is the stainless steel. I’ve read about rusting and such, some people opting to have it nitrided or other finishes. If I were to keep it in original form, is the stainless really that much of a hassle?? Should I look into nitriding or another coating (though I’d really love to keep it as is)?? Odd as it is, there’s a weird inner-peace having finally ordered a 1911…

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2556 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Things don't just rust, if people take proper care of their stuff.

Q

Posts: 27619 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I really enjoy shooting my Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm and PM9 in 9mm.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't coat it. Just don't soak it in a bucket of water and keep it oiled and you'll be fine. Congratulations!

Posts: 784 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
EEZOX is an amazing product.
Keep a very light coat of this to combat rust.
The CBOB is a great weapon, congrats.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my stainless CBOB for probably 15 years now, no issues with the finish whatsoever but as others have mentioned proper care goes a long way.

Posts: 1685 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I have a V-Bob in stainless and I have had no rust issues whatsoever. Don't let those thoughts take away from your joy of buying an exceptionally fine 1911.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 902 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My stainless DW Valor has had zero issues with rust.

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My 2009 CBOB. No issues whatsoever. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I will second this. Back when I was a new policeman and issued my P220 it was the folded slide. We'd all dread getting out of our A/C in our squad cars and go into the humid summer air because our pistols would get moisture all over them. Also, when it rained and we had to be outside. That is until, we discovered Eezox. I have used it on both of my folded slide Sig pistols and never had another issue with even a hint of surface rust.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
EEZOX is an amazing product.
Keep a very light coat of this to combat rust.
The CBOB is a great weapon, congrats.

Posts: 3477 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Good to hear, maybe what I read was a little over the top. I’m hoping to add it to my CCW next year so I’ll keep it wiped down or try that Eezox

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
My 2009 CBOB. No issues whatsoever. Big Grin

I’ve seen your CBOB on here before, another one of those little things when I’d see it I’m like man just buy it haha.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2556 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
You have chosen wisely! Love all my DWs. I had CCR put their TriTanium on a CBOB a while ago. Sold it. Regret it. Will buy another at some point. I hope you love it as much as I did. They make great guns.

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 622 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I’m definitely excited, first 1911 to own, only shot a couple before. Like I said, I’ve been eyeing the DW CBOB for over 10 years. Seems everyone loves theirs so I’m sure it’ll live up to the hype.

Suppose as my first 1911, I’m probably only looking to possibly swap grips and maybe get better mags. Been trying to read up more and the mags seem like a pretty big concern. Of course before I add it to my CCW, think I’ll need a nice leather holster for it, seems fitting and I carry my current CCWs at 3:30ish so should be an easy transition.

Anyone that wants to throw out recommendations for grips, mags, and leather holster makers, I’m up for more reading!

posted Hide Post
SigSauerP226, post pictures when your new 1911 arrives.

Roger

Posts: 40 | Registered: November 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freq Geek:
SigSauerP226, post pictures when your new 1911 arrives.

Will do, may be awhile, once it gets here I get to wait 10 days from time I start paperwork to come back and take it home. Gotta love the cool down laws, got a safe with 4 pistols, 3 rifles, and 1 shotgun and lots of ammo, but decided to buy this one to go crazy with Roll Eyes

A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
That's awesome you're getting one of your dream guns! Congrats!

Posts: 4842 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I barely got to check it out when I did my DROS since I had a sleeping 4 year old in one arm, but man it looked great. Felt lighter than I expected actually too. I should be able to pick it up 9/3 if no life things get in the way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSauerP226,

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I have all sorts of guns in a garage safe in south florida. The only ones that get rust issues are the older blued shotguns. WD-40 3 times a year and they are good to go.

Most pistols get BreakFree about 2 times a year and they are 100% good.

Been doing this for the last 15 years.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5182 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post

Finally picked it up. Feels so great, can’t wait to shoot it, hopefully tomorrow. Did a basic field strip, seemed like it was already oiled every where but wiped it down and threw Weapon Shield on it. Only tricky part was the barrel bushing being super tight. Used the rear end of a Sharpie to rotate it, but ordered a proper tool. Looked like in videos you could just rotate it by finger, but not this one. Overall it seems awesome and actually don’t think I’ll change a single thing, even the grips feel nice. See if that changes after shooting. Probably just add mags and ammo.

Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
That is one fine looking pistol! Clean , classic lines. Dan Wesson builds a nice 1911 !

Posts: 842 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post