SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger SR9c - thoughts and opinions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SR9c - thoughts and opinions? Login/Join 
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted
I've got the opportunity to pick up a well equipped Ruger SR9c for about $400 (lot of extra magazines and gear). I own several Ruger revolvers, but I have never owned one of their semi-autos (well, not since a P-89 way, way back in the day when they first came out). This would not be my daily CCW pistol, but more of a house gun/truck gun, but with the option to carry it on occasion. Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences with this pistol?
Thanks,
Gonzo

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3095 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I owned two SR9c pistols. I too wanted it more so for a truck gun. Great pistol in my opinion. Unlike Ruger's other autos this has a great trigger and a very comfortable grip with good sights. I have always thought of Ruger pistols as the best tool box type hand gun. For $400 you will get a good pistol.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
I owned two SR9c pistols. I too wanted it more so for a truck gun. Great pistol in my opinion. Unlike Ruger's other autos this has a great trigger and a very comfortable grip with good sights. I have always thought of Ruger pistols as the best tool box type hand gun. For $400 you will get a good pistol.

Thanks for the insight.

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3095 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
Mine is very accurate at 7yds. and has been reliable with all manner of JHP and FMJ. I put Talon grip tape on mine and it really helps both appearance and hold.

BTW - The mags will also fit Ruger's 9mm carbine.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is the full size SR9 and I've had it for 10 years or so. It's been a great gun. I just recently put a fiber optic front sight on, and now it is a better gun.

Plenty accurate in the 10-15 yards I shoot it at regularly.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 20, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have or have had Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Rugers. All great pistols, but very high on the list was my SR9c. Never had an issue with it. Fired everything I put through it, and I shot it more accurate than any pistol I've owned. Shot several qualification courses with it. I gave it to my son last year, as he really liked it as well. I plan to get another in the future.

Posts: 2 | Location: jsdscarroll4@netzero.com | Registered: May 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier21: ... I plan to get another in the future.

You better hurry ... the Ruger SR9C is out of production !

Posts: 38 | Location: South-Central Pennsylvania | Registered: May 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother uses one for his EDC. He had to clean out debris in the FP channel but the gun works and he's got full size mags with extended base plates as an option for HD or carry. He loves it.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Ditto to what was said above, great pistol. Had mine going on 4 years now and it is one of my regular carries. Very accurate.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is actually an underrated pistol. The only complaint I can give it is the slide needs to be dehorned a bit. The slide serrations have caused holes in a couple of my shirts.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine has been a great shooter, reliable and very accurate, but it is pretty stiff to rack the slide.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very stiff recoil spring, may not be good for some. Soft shooting, even in the 40 S&W. The thumb safety is one of the best features, easy to manipulate but won’t accidentally slip off. If you can manage racking the slide it’s a great pistol for you.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Great underrated pistol. Accurate, decent trigger and concealable. Carries it with 10 round in it and 17 round back up.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
It is actually an underrated pistol. The only complaint I can give it is the slide needs to be dehorned a bit. The slide serrations have caused holes in a couple of my shirts.

This is good advice. The rear of the slide near the slide rails is sharp as a razor, as is the top leading edge of the manual safety in the example I shot. While manipulating the gun during firing, I got cut like a stuck hog. Bled all over the gun. Never had that happen with any other brand or model before or since. That said, the gun shot well, but I must admit, the sharp edges and blood soured me on the model a bit.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites.

I especially like the great big "loaded chamber" indicator, because I can tell by feel if it's loaded, even in the dark. That's why it sleeps next to me every night.

Always reliable, looks and feels great.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post