SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Custom 1911A1 Specification/Design -- Bobtail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 1911A1 Specification/Design -- Bobtail Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Hi guys! I'm considering throwing down some loot on a custom 1911A1. I have a full size frame 1911, and I'm thinking about getting one done in a commander length. What I'm wondering about is the Bobtail frame option. I've never had the opportunity to handle one in person.

Any of you guys tried and/or use this design? Any drawbacks?

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I never cared for the look of the Bobtail 1911 grip design. Then I held one. Smile It feels GREAT in the hand! Makes the pistol point better too, for me. Much more comfortable than the original design.

And although I don't carry 1911s, the folks I know who do say it makes it easier to conceal too. Good luck with the conversion! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the first one on my block, but did not keep it. The change in grip shape made it index low for me.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Never tried one, but I'm thinking my next 1911 will be Commander-sized and I think I'm going to get myself over to one of my LGS' and see if they have any bob-tailed to fondle. Maybe rent one at their range, if they have one for rent.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Nightmare Carry is bobtailed. I love it but dont really consider it a must have.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post