SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Don't Forget The Magazines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't Forget The Magazines Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I went to the range this morning and thought I remembered to take everything. Two weeks ago. I forgot the targets.

I had 100 rds of .45 and my Ruger 1911, but no magazines. I shot my 229 and my High Standard .22 but no .45 today. Oh well it is one less gun to clean. I left a drawer full of loaded .45 magazines at home. Now there is a .45 magazine in my gun case.

Posts: 5618 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Been there done that, especially when I'm taking multiple guns to the range in the same trip. You're not alone!

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
It's the exact reason why every gun in the safe has a magazine in it.
I'll at least have one mag with me at the range. Big Grin

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
"It's the exact reason why every gun in the safe has a magazine in it."

Excellent advice!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are worried about cleaning with 100 rounds between two guns?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did that when I went to dial in the iron sights on an AK I built.

I was determined to do it, so I fed one at a time. It sucked, mainly because once I got it dialed in, I couldn’t rattle off some shots to celebrate.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I decided to make a range trip out of a Saturday afternoon. After the 20 minute drive, as I approached the range, I realized I had forgotten ammo. I turned back around and packed up the ammo I had left behind. As I approached the range for the second time, I then realized that forgotten to bring any magazines. It became clear that some higher power's intent was that there wasn't going to be a range day. I called it at that point and went home.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I tend to be forgetful myself. At least you left your mags at home, where you know where they are, instead of at the range. Maybe - if a formal, staffed range - somebody would turn it in, but this can't be counted on.

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Most of my pistols have mags in them. However, I took the one out of my 1911 to load it the night before. I left the loaded magazines in the drawer.

As of yesterday, there is a 1911 mag in my range box. I keep a spare S&W mag in my trunk for my EDC.

quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
It's the exact reason why every gun in the safe has a magazine in it.
I'll at least have one mag with me at the range. Big Grin

Posts: 5618 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For safety reasons, I keep the guns in a safe, the magazines in a different place, and ammo in still another place. (All that, except the HD gun.)

I made a checklist of what to take to the range. It didn't take long to make a list, and it's a 1-minute review before each trip to the range.

Posts: 39 | Location: Center of U.S.A. | Registered: June 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I’ve ever forgotten a mag. I have forgotten “eyes and ears” a time or two but was able to use stuff from the range.

quote:

I am one of those freaks who cleans their guns after every shooting session. 100 rounds, 50 rounds, 20 rounds…..doesn’t matter they go back in the safe clean. The only time I failed to follow this ritual was for about 2-3 years after my child was born and frankly that is the time travel period where you don’t know what the hell is going on and how you made it 2 years later Smile.

Truth be told I, generally, enjoy cleaning guns.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Once we went to visit my in-laws who live about 100 miles away. They have a 700 yard rifle range, so I packed up five rifles with all the accessories for a range day. Went to the range, got all set up, and remembered that all the bolts were still at home. That sucked.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of us have done the same things. I think that I am up to 3 times now. To avoid forgetting anything, I line the firearms up on my desk, then take out the magazines, then the additional ammo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I have to go through everything before I leave the house to make sure I've got what I need as there's me and Mrs. Flash shooting, and we each shoot 2 most of the time, so I'm packing stuff for 4 different guns.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Range I was shooting at required loaded magazines to be in a locked container or otherwise empty. My loaded magazines in a locked 50 cal ammo can. Yup, forgot the key. Learned how to remove a lock with tire irons. Didn't damage the ammo can!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Range I was shooting at required loaded magazines to be in a locked container or otherwise empty. My loaded magazines in a locked 50 cal ammo can. Yup, forgot the key. Learned how to remove a lock with tire irons. Didn't damage the ammo can!

I'd pay money to watch someone do that. It's a good trick.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've NEVER forgotten magazines.Big Grin However, one time I went to the range to shoot my GM 1911, which I was carrying.

Opened up the ammo bag and there were a BUNCH of magazines in it. Small problem - they were ALL P229 .40 mags accompanied by a nice bag of .40 reloads!

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I don’t think I’ve ever forgotten a mag. I have forgotten “eyes and ears” a time or two but was able to use stuff from the range.

quote:

I am one of those freaks who cleans their guns after every shooting session. 100 rounds, 50 rounds, 20 rounds…..doesn’t matter they go back in the safe clean. The only time I failed to follow this ritual was for about 2-3 years after my child was born and frankly that is the time travel period where you don’t know what the hell is going on and how you made it 2 years later Smile.

Truth be told I, generally, enjoy cleaning guns.

I also clean my guns the same day, or sometimes the next day after shooting. Target .22's are a different story.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sure been there a time or two.

For many many years is became my habit to not store pistols with a mag in them, but realized that forgetting the mags never completely happens when I did. lol So I've slowly gone back to it.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An old saying from a friend- 2 kinds of people - those that have- and those that will!

Really becomes a big hassle in military circles-

Many years ( decades) ago, before military armories had security systems, alarms etc, my national guard unit was required to store rifles at the armory with bolts removed and bolts stored at a local police station.
Imagine driving 200+ miles in a convoy to a military base with 150 troops to do annual weapons qualification and finding out no one went to the police and got the bolts!

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post