Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M11A1 Login/Join 
posted
Anyone use this as a daily CCW pistol and your thoughts please?

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I did for awhile. Great gun. Over 6000 rounds flawless.
I've gone back to Glock 19 just because.. my son now shoots the M11

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
There are some in this thread who carry a 228 or 229

Favorite EDC Sig (and SIG only!) https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/5440075804/p/1

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a P-226 with Sheriff's Office and bought a P-239 but I want to carry something with more rounds.

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M11a1 / p229 is on the large side of what I can carry comfortably, but I don't like to dress around guns.

It's an amazing pistol, and I prefer the balance to the older p228's or the p229.

Mine has an absolutely incredible trigger from the sig custom shop. Significantly better than a legion trigger in every way except the reset.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freq18Hz:
M11a1 / p229 is on the large side of what I can carry comfortably, but I don't like to dress around guns.

It's an amazing pistol, and I prefer the balance to the older p228's or the p229.

Mine has an absolutely incredible trigger from the sig custom shop. Significantly better than a legion trigger in every way except the reset.

-Freq

Thanks guys, I am 6'2" so I believe I can hide it ok and carry comfortably with good holster. Was at Sig Pro shop last week, should have picked up one!

Kevin

posted Hide Post
I've been searching for a replacement for my P229 as EDC, without luck so far. The M11A1 is a P229. It is a little bit heavy, but a proper belt and holster and it's fine for all day.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying a Sig since 1999. I started with a P239, and stopped because I had a tendency to somehow ride the slide release and not lock open on the last shot. I tried a German made P228 and liked it, and went with a P229 in 40 S&W for a number of years. I've had to travel more, staying away and I wanted something for both matches and carry. I'm using a Sig 229 SAS Gen 2 in 9mm. I can find 9mm all over, so all I'm using is factory ammo at present.

I've used a 1 1/2" Dan Blocker leather belt, and initially used a Milt Sparks Summer Special, all in black. I had an interesting experience with leather one summer. I was out in 100+ weather for a couple of days, and had one period of several hours that I worked up quite a sweat. The holster became saturated, and locked the weapon tightly inside. I talked with a number of people, and the suggestion was made to use a hard wax on the inside and outside. I also stretched the holster by putting it in a thick plastic bag and placing it as far in as possible, and left it there a couple days. It's still a bit tight, but not like it was when it got stuck.

Please understand-what happened to me can happen with any make of leather holster that is well fitted to what it carries, in similar circumstances. If I were to use a leather holster, I think I'd be using Carnuba Wax or something similar at least twice a year, and I'd be careful in really hot weather. But presently, I'm using a kydex Blade-Tech IWB holster. I found the Summer Special more comfortable though.

Use a good belt and a good holster, and you should have no problems with a 229 or the equivalent. I'm 5'7" an 185 pounds. I also allow an extra 2" waist size in trousers and a belt when carrying inside the waistband.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I am also curious as to how the FDE ones hold their finish after shooting and cleaning, etc?

Thanks

Kevin

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I'm wearing my M11-A1 as I write this. I'm 6'2" and 315lbs, and I carry it either in a CTAC Infidel Max IWB or an old Dillon Leather Master OWB that I originally bought for my 229 back in '99 or '00 I think.

Anyway, I don't think you'd have a problem carrying an M11-A1 at all.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry the M11A1 almost daily on chores around the farm, but do find it a bit difficult to wear when going to town. I use a OWB holster of my own construction, (an open top of the Tom Threepersons variety), but you may have equal or better luck with another variety. Here's a pic. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all and Rodfac welcome home! I was with 101st Airborne up in Phu Bai.

Kevin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Combat Vet:

Kevin

I picked up an M11A1 yesterday. Now need to see how it shoots.

Kevin

posted Hide Post
We have an FDE M11 A-1, and the finish seems to hold up fine so far. I've been carrying it the last month or two, in an Ozarks IWB. The muzzle blast residue is a little tough to clean off, but it will come off. This gun is about a year old, and has been a range/HD gun up until I began carrying it in March.
I wish posting pics here wasn't such a PIA...

Carrying this gun seems fine to me; as Clint Smith once said..."carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting"!

I use a Wilderness belt, and it supports the gun well.

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by titus66:
We have an FDE M11 A-1, and the finish seems to hold up fine so far.
Carrying this gun seems fine to me; as Clint Smith once said..."carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting"!

I use a Wilderness belt, and it supports the gun well.

Thanks Titus

Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
If it shoots well, is reliable, then so what about the finish. Guns showing wear have character, they were used for their purpose. My FDE M11A1 was carried for a time, around 4000 rounds through it and many holster draws. It shows wear, it is a gun. An excellent Sig if I may say so as well.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Rodfac:
...5th Spl Forces...

quote:
...(RodFAC) I was with 101st Airborne up in Phu Bai...

Gentlemen, the US Army announced your former Units will be the first to issue the P320 to Troops

(http://SoldierSystems.net/2017/05/03/Army-to-issue-new-m17-modular-handgun-to-ft-campbell-troops-first/)

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Kevin

Kevin

Like a dream is how it shoots. Mine had a trip to Exeter for a little extra loving, came back even better. Smile

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought two of them last year, the FDE, and a Talo Army Green; both had terrible triggers (gritty/rough, and quite heavy), the Talo being worse than the FDE. Both were quickly sent to Sig for the AEP, and the difference was amazing. IMO, they should be that nice when you buy them! The round count on both is under 1K.

FWIW, I just bought one of the new Talo 226 Classic Carry's, and also a NIB,old stock 220 (2014?), and both of these triggers are JUST as nice as the M11. It's hard to make sense of how that works!

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Kevin[/QUOTE]

What did you have done to it?

kevin

Like a dream is how it shoots. Mine had a trip to Exeter for a little extra loving, came back even better. Smile[/QUOTE]